• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit behavior advice needed!!!

lucy pepsi

Warren Scout
Dexter is becoming much stronger and is a very fiesty little chap!! This is making his treatment a bit tricky though!!!!

When i need to clean up his wounds (4 times a day) i open his door and sit on the floor in front of it with my bunny towel on my lap. He just jumps onto my lap, and i wrap him up and clean the wounds. However, as soon as i start he frantically starts biting at the towel - it is looking like swiss cheese!!! Is this frustration because the wound cleaning is hurting him?

When i put him back in the cage he frantically boxes at all his furniture as though he is having a little tantrum. I worry that he is mad at me :roll::oops::?

Also because he is so thin and has wounds all down one side i tend not to pick him up - i either wrap a towel around him first or let him come to me. This morning i had to catch him as he did a runner :roll::lol: and he grunted when i picked him up - was he cross because he doesnt like/isnt used to it? or did i hurt him??? xxx

well he's obviously not going to enjoy it, and it will hurt him I guess, so he's associating you with an unpleasant experience. Bit unfortunate but not much you can do except take him to the vets so he associates the vets with the nasty stuff - but if it's 4 times a day then that's not practical really :( I think you are doing a fantastic job though - I couldn't do it at all! :)

Maybe you could try a small treat after you've cleaned to wounds to help him forget about it. Then he might stop associating you with the upset.

Thanks guys.....
i just tried something different tonight! I gave him his pellets (he has 3 small bowls a day now with his baytril on) and put them in the corner of his cage so that i could get to his poorly side whilst he was eating. He just stood there eating when i gave it a really good clean!!! :shock:

Is is really bad that i am offended he doesnt want cuddles??!!!!!:roll::lol:

Back