• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best age to have them de-sexed

waschaf

Young Bun
Sorry for my lingo not sure if that is what you call it with Bunnies :oops:

But what age is it recommended for them to be done and does it differ with either sex as to maturity etc.

I only want pets with no plans to breed so if there is an age that is recommended to be done, i want it done before that :lol:..

Neutering would be a general term for de-sexing and then the operation for girls is called spaying and the boys castration.

Boys can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop so they are visible. This varies a bit but is usually between 12-16 weeks. In vary small rabbits vets may prefer to wait a few extra weeks until they (the rabbit not the bits) grow a bit bigger.

Girls can be done as young as 12 weeks (providing they weigh over 1kg) but most vets prefer to wait until 5-6 months old.

There is some more info on neutering her: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51537

Tamsin

Thanks Tamsin, you can never be too sure what terms are used so better to be safe than sorry ..

i breed pugs and was speaking with a friend of mine and asked when she was due to whelp :lol: so thoughty i would play it safe ...

That's alright :lol: There are some interesting terms around aren't there, you should probably know rabbit boy bits are generally referred to as plums. That might be a forum specific one rather than rabbit-wide so be careful when chatting to the vet ;)

Great advice from Tamsin. :thumb: Also the spay operation is easier if done under the age of 1 year - at least that's what my vet told me. Good on you for getting your bunnies neutered, it's much better for their health and temperament. :)

AMETHYST

That's alright :lol: There are some interesting terms around aren't there, you should probably know rabbit boy bits are generally referred to as plums. That might be a forum specific one rather than rabbit-wide so be careful when chatting to the vet ;)

When Bobbin was in for his de-pluming I said "plums" to the vets, they thought it was brilliant!! :rolleyes: :lol:

Like Tamsin said - usually 12 - 16 weeks, although I know a couple of boys who kept them hidden until they were 6 months!

Scamp only just got his (8 months), I was getting a bit worried he was a girl :oops: He's a wild bun though so perhaps a bit different.

Tam

Back