• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Travelling bunny

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
How well do ur bunnies travel on these runs? and what do u put with them?

we are going an hour in the car with lilly, she will be in her carrier, what should we do about water? we have a small bottle but it doesn't clip to her carrier x

Alvin wont drink when we travel so i just take veg that has a decent water content and treats like apple to make sure something goes in... hes done 7 hours without a water bottle and seems fine at the other end as long as his house is set up straight away....

will they have a little date, cus the place will have water bottles anyhows if shes thirsty... altho shell be too busy faling in love to want to drink ;):lol:

I've done 4 hours with a bunny recently. Just put vet bed and hay in the carrier so he was comfy and could have a nibble. Stopped twice to let him have a run about the car and attached the bottle so he could have a drink if he wanted.
I found attaching water bottles during the journey is a bad idea as they leak and the buns don't usually drink from them.

Just don't play any loud music or put the blowers on hot or have the windows open, gentle air con is ok if you need it. I stuck with classic fm on quitely or radio 4.

cool... its an hour there so should be ok, we will be spending a couple of hours there and then heading home x

When we adopted Sharmi, her owner drove her up from Wellington. She sat in her litter tray in the front seat. No seat belt or cage. It was an 8 hour drive with only 1 stop for lunchtime. He said she didn't much care for the corners though! She didn't once hop out of her tray.

I wouldn't do that for our bunnies because I would worry they would hop all over the car but I guess I'm just putting it out there that some bunnies can just sit in the front seat unrestrained.

Good luck. :)

Flopsy done a 2 hour trip to bunnymadhouse no problem - didn't give him any water just a little veg in his carrier but he didn't bother with it. Then done another 2 hour journey to get them back home a week later.

We brought Gloria home about 150 miles. Put her in the carrier with newspaper and some food. She just hunkered down and waited to get out. Started off with the water bottle clipped to the side, but it leaked all over the carrier, so I wouldn't recommend that. We stopped a lot and gave her grass and dandelions to each. She was also able to stand up a bit and stretch.

ours regularly do a three hour trip to my parents. we take them in a 4ft travel hutch and they mostly just sit on the hay in the litter tray snuggled together. occasaionally minstrel has hopped out to shred newspaper :roll:, but as soon as we turn a tight corner and she goes sliding she goes straight back to the litter tray.

we normally stop halfway and by the time we've eaten they've normally relaxed enough to eat, drink and run about and be nosey

Back