• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

REW - scanning - UPDATE - been to vet

Lucy

Warren Veteran
I know it is common for a REW to scan but I am wondering if thats all it is with this bun. He is swaying and has a very vacant expression. He is going to be health checked by a vet soon, but I just wondered if that was normal for some of the REW?

Last edited:
I know it is common for a REW to scan but I am wondering if thats all it is with this bun. He is swaying and has a very vacant expression. He is going to be health checked by a vet soon, but I just wondered if that was normal for some of the REW?

Sounds like 'Little Bill Boblet Syndrome' !!

Little Bill is a REW and he has always scanned and is extremely.......Errrrrmmm....dippy !! 'Lights on, no-Bun home really.
He has been thoroughly examined by a Vet and has been Panacured as a precaution. But it seems that he just has a severe case of REW poor vision and is somewhat 'cerebraly challenged'

Janex

pearl does it alot.. ive been told its quite normal because of the eyes dont focus as well

I was a bit worried about EC, but if others do it and it is normal for them, maybe he's the same!

I had a REW foster bunny in he did exactly the same. He was also thoroughly checked over by the vet. The vet thought he just had very poor vision.

i think its really sweet, i have to check to make sure pearl hasnt somehow got at my beer :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have two bunnies who scan despite having brown eyes. But both have REW sisters, so they still seem to have inherited some of the bad vision. I think it is really cute when they scan.

I've been wondering about red eyed bunnies lately as my Millie has red eyes and noticably scans.
She's not at all dippy though :D but does get freaked if you sudden come into her line of vision or if your shape changes ie your carrying something.

From my siggy you can see she's not white does it mean she may have been crossed with a REW and will her eye sight go worse with age then?

Lucyhp - Hope your bunny is ok and it's just the red eye's making him sway, Millie sways, her head goes slightly up and down and she kind of leans to one side when she scans.

my friend has got a rew n she scans terrible.she even walks funny as though she cant see where shes goin.gets startled easy aswell.x

When I first saw that heading I had an image of a white bun at a photocopier;)...My Bridge bun Raffles used to do that all the time, he really had limited vision, but he lead a full and active life.... He relied on Molly, his wife-bun alot though... gee I miss my baby:cry:

This gorgeous young man, Mr Snow

Snowcloseup229.jpg

appears to be a carrot short of a bunch, he does the scanning thing and also seems to be quite deaf. He has been checked over by the vet, been neutered, vaccinated, so seen the vet on a number of occasions and is perfectly healthy and seems to be happy doing bun things too but he is what I would describe as a 'special' bun (if you know what I mean). Having said that his middle name is Casanova, he is certainly not backwards at coming forwards in that department :lol: he even broke in to Maisie's run and ravaged her a couple of days before her wedding to Bamber! (Snow is already marrried to Treacle) so I suspect his Forest Gump thing could all be an act :lol:

He is my only bun that seems to truely enjoy a cuddle, he goes to sleep in your arms. Bless.

Rabswood

Rabswood- That's exactly like my Blue :lol: although hew was BEW not REW :lol: he was such a cuddle bunny but he woke me up one night when he lived in my room, I found him humping my giant cuddly rabbit which is three times the size of him :lol:

Elsie has brown eyes but in certain lights you can see she has red in them. When she is in new places she scans, she did this ALOT when we first got her, I just thought it was sweet, I didn't realise what she was doing! She doesn't scan much now but her eyes are definatley more sensitive to light. If we were to turn their light on in the dark she needs to close here eyes for a bit to adjust, where as Jess doesn't. It's the same with bright sun light etc.

He's going to the vets this morning, so we'll see what they think. Here is Valentine...
valentinejk2.jpg

This picture shows that kind of vacant look he has.

Whilst we are on the subject of REW's I am curious to know whether they see in the dark better than the day, abit like an infra red set up if you get my meaning;):lol::lol: Also, do you only get white bunnies with red eyes or are there other coloured bunnies with red eyes?

Stunning bun Lucy, he looks like a right Romeo:love:

I've been wondering about red eyed bunnies lately as my Millie has red eyes and noticably scans.
She's not at all dippy though :D but does get freaked if you sudden come into her line of vision or if your shape changes ie your carrying something.

From my siggy you can see she's not white does it mean she may have been crossed with a REW and will her eye sight go worse with age then?

Lucyhp - Hope your bunny is ok and it's just the red eye's making him sway, Millie sways, her head goes slightly up and down and she kind of leans to one side when she scans.

The bunnie on the right in your sig? Shes a Siamese Sable and yes will have red eyes so yes probably does scan. The sable gene gives a ruby glow to the eye. Shes also a medium Siamese sable so if she were to be mated to another bun the same colour (purely hypothetical to show a link) 1/4 of the litter would be REW.

Back