• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cost of vaccinations

Cob-Web

Warren Scout
Is it worth shopping around for bunny vaccinations?

My usual veterinary practice, which is a large chain that offers a comprehensive service, seem to charge quite a bit for vaccines - for Flopsy and Topsy to be vaccinated against Myxi and VHD will be over £100......:? My local clinic is taking part in Vaccination month, so I would get the 6 month booster free :)

There is other, smaller vets practice in the area that is also taking part in national vaccination month; what do you think of the idea of registering them at another practice in order to get the vaccines cheaper?

£100 for both jabs for both bunnies? :shock:

Mine charge £15 each for each vaccination so £60 in total (for two bunnies) i reckon?

Eeek, that's over £25 a vaccination:shock:. I pay £17 odd, so it's £64 for my bunnies altogether.

Most definately worth having a look at how much other vets charge especially if you can get money off with the vaccination month offer.

My previous vets charged £22.50 for each vaccine, but were the cheapest for neutering, but I decided to go with another equally bunny savvy vets which were cheaper on vaccines but slightly more for neuters as I'd far rather pay more for one offs, than pay more for regulars.

Mine charge £21 for each vaccination :shock: But I love my vets & completely trust them so I don't mind paying a bit extra really. Might ask if they'll give me a discount tho.

My new vet is around £16 per rabbit per vac, so it'll be £90 something, which I think is ok really.

hmm does sound like a lot. Probably not a bad idea so long as you make sure your regular vet is updated with the details. They might think about lowering their prices if people start shopping around...

On the whole though, i think it's better to stick with one vet who you know and trust. Saves you the time and hassle of dealing with lots of vets as well.

I know the vets doing the Vaccination month are supposed to include a full health check as well, so I shouldnt think there'd be a difference in the service - but of course your own vet might be more knowledgeable in doing the health check.

I somehow managed to get my bunnies myxi done just before i found out about the Vaccination month :evil::evil: stupid organised me.

I paid about £80 for three bunnies Myxi plus one eye flushing plus some antibiotics. I have no idea how that compares to other prices!

2 of mine had VHD last week cost £22.00 for both. I used to pay that for one:( but I changed to vets now its a lot cheaper:D

Sue x

It seems to vary everywhere. My vet charges over £100 for two buns and both vacs at a time. I think its becuase we live in an "expensive area" (at least, the taxes are very high) and he's the only vet for miles. He's very good with my buns though so I don't mind.

I paid £33 for Walt's myxi jab! I thought it was pricey at the time! She did do a thorough check on him too though, would that have made a difference? I'm going back for his VHD jab on Thurs so I'll see if there's any difference :shock:

Becky

My vets charge about £30.00 for a mixi jab, but then when i get them both done together its only £30.00!! They are a good vets so don't mind paying.

I have been on the phone today.......and found out some good news :D

The practice I am registered with offer a "package" of Myxi and VHD vaccination, 2 weeks apart, and if the bill is paid at the first appointment the combined price is less than £21 per rabbit :D Far cheaper than their published prices; so I am going to book both my buns in for vaccinating in March so I can get a free Myxi booster for each of them in September ;)

Scarily, when I phoned another practice, they said they don't keep the VHD vaccine in stock and so it would have to be ordered especially; and they charge over £15 for a myxi vaccine :(

Back