• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suitable flooring for rexes

IzzyTwig

Alpha Buck
I've noticed my two rexes are starting to lose the fur on their hocks. I've heard of people using rubber matts, where would you get them from, I'm thinking of somewhere online ideally.
I don't think it's the flooring in their cage that's the problem, it's the carpet in our lounge as it's very tough and doesn't have a deep pile. Replacing the carpet isn't an option though. Do you think profleece would work for when they're out and about? I've never used pro fleece before, only vet bed but that's too expensive for a large amount, is it just as good?

Any other ideas to help prevent them getting sore hocks?

I have two rexes, Audrey and Monty who are house buns. Audrey suffers with poorly hocks. She does have vet bed, but enjoys eating/weeing on it:roll:, so it is forever in the wash:oops:. I bought a load of cheap fleece blankets (Matalan/primark etc 1.99/3 each) and I put them down where they run, I secure it round the mats in the hallway and also upstairs where they flop. I think the key is to keep the hocks as dry as possible. I am paranoid and change their litter trays twice a day and use megazorb/soft straw then with hay on the top.

I'm sure that someone else will be along too to help out!

good luck - as they say prevention is better than cure!!
Andrea

My rex silky has a sisal natural rug over gym mats or towels over gym mats. The gym mats were dead cheap in tesco. Now she has a one level home her hocks are less sore. I also tend to keep elastoplast on her feet to allow the fur to grow under the plaster and protect her feet. works a treat as once the fur is lost it doesnt really grow back properly

mine are indoors in my spare room,they stay in their run while i'm out.

in there they have a thick layer of newspaper topped with towels then vetbed and or profleece.

mine don't wee outside their litter tray now they have more space and so far they have not chewed their bedding.

i also lay two tesco single duvets with cheap covers on the floor of the room for them to run round on.

Hiya :)

my outdoor rex has suffered badly with sore hocks so now in her htuch and run i have rubber exercise mats down. theyyre not like the vinyl floor stuff, theyre sort of rubbery foam. I got them from a sprots equipment shop in town but i think yo ucan get them in tesco too. I've used fleece blankets too but mats are easier to clean.

My rex silky has a sisal natural rug over gym mats or towels over gym mats. The gym mats were dead cheap in tesco. Now she has a one level home her hocks are less sore. I also tend to keep elastoplast on her feet to allow the fur to grow under the plaster and protect her feet. works a treat as once the fur is lost it doesnt really grow back properly

Hi – doesn't Silky bite off the plaster? Middy has sore hocks now and am eager to hear what I can do t help her.

Well when we've had rexes before they lived outside and never had a problem, they were on newspaper, hay and straw but spent a lot of time outside on the grass. So I guess that helped.

Fortunately their hocks aren't sore, but they're now exposed. I'll get some cheap fitness mats as they sound a good idea, and some more vet bed just to protect them from the carpet in our lounge, it's horrible stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Back