• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby food

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
my vet said to get some baby food just incase lilly has another episode. does anyone else believe in giving baby food?

xx

i have some in my cupboard now, cant face another stop day... i will do anything in my power to keep my angels eating :D

Yes and No. It depends upon the situation as baby food is low fiber and high carbohydrate. I NEVER feed it alone rather add probiotics, soaked pellets and water to it.

Science Recovery is a better option. I would always try to encourage the rabbit to eat by itself in the first instance and provide oral fluids in the interim.

I only use the fruit based baby food to make a syringe feed more paletable or added to soaked pellets to encourage voluntary eating.

I think things like mashed up carrot is probably better, or mashed up other vewg that they usually eat, because baby food contains other things that they don't have everyday and could upset their stomachs more.

I think things like mashed up carrot is probably better, or mashed up other vewg that they usually eat, because baby food contains other things that they don't have everyday and could upset their stomachs more.

Thats what I was going to say :D x

Sooz recommended this to me when Bobbin had his *episode* it was the first thing he ate in over 6 hours. He didn't eat much of it, but it was what encouraged him to eat more, the other thing he ate was basil, but he is a bit partial to it! :rolleyes:

I put one spoonful of it with mushed pellets as Sooz suggested, I now have two pots that I am keeping aside just in case. I got the organic kind under Sooz's recommendation, apple and blueberry.

I got the organic kind under Sooz's recommendation, apple and blueberry.

Is it just apple and blueberry in it? Or does it have other things in aswell?

I'd still not give any of mine any type of baby food, not even apple and blueberry, as they have eaten apple once and have never had blueberry, so I think it would make them more poorly.

Is it just apple and blueberry in it? Or does it have other things in aswell?

I'd still not give any of mine any type of baby food, not even apple and blueberry, as they have eaten apple once and have never had blueberry, so I think it would make them more poorly.

I would agree that it's not good to give a rabbit something they've never had before, but in these circumstances when a rabbit is eating *nothing* it really is a question of giving them something which may cause upset and giving them nothing which could lead to possible death :?

As I said Bobbin only had a little of the pellets and baby food mixture, but this temped him to eat lots of basil, and that can't be a bad thing.

Had he not started eating of his own accord I would have started trying to syringe him Recovery - luckily there was no need and the mixture did the trick! :D

I would agree that it's not good to give a rabbit something they've never had before, but in these circumstances when a rabbit is eating *nothing* it really is a question of giving them something which may cause upset and giving them nothing which could lead to possible death :?

Yeah I suppose desperate times and all! I know when my rabbit wasn't eating I tried pretty much every type of food I could find that I thought she might eat, turned out to be mashed warm banana (yuck), then grated carrot.

Like Sooz I would use it to flavour mushed up pellets etc. rather than feeding it alone - it's not high enough in fibre and can lead to bloat as a result, once the guts start working again.

We bought some Critter Care. It comes in a powder and you mix with water as needed. It was $40 for about 1 cup of it! Apparently imported from somewhere far away. Thing is, our buns don't even like it.

When cookie was sick, i put water,pineapple chunks, and bits of carrot into the blender, added a little water, and some mashed up pellets and cookie loved the taste, and he was alot better than when i tried to give him baby food

We bought some Critter Care. It comes in a powder and you mix with water as needed. It was $40 for about 1 cup of it! Apparently imported from somewhere far away. Thing is, our buns don't even like it.

does it smell like aniseed? in a white packet? we got some half a bag was like £10, but cookie wouldnt go near it

Nah I don't really rate it, Its never once tempted a poorly bun of mine to eat. I swear by apple juice for everything :lol: Mushed up pellets with apple juice, Syringing crushed tablets with apple juice etc :D

I keep 100% pure fruit baby food in the fridge to use if necessary. It's pear and pineapple or I have used just apple too. It's actually been really useful to administer Peppermints anti-biotics as he was getting upset having to have them regularly and is on them long term. He wouldn't take it on a leaf like the other buns, as he's had his incisors out. I just have to watch so I know he's had it all, but he licks it up and it's been a great success. There's been no weight problems or tummy issues either but he only has a tiny blob on top of his chopped veggies so one pot will last between 7 and 10 days.

does it smell like aniseed? in a white packet? we got some half a bag was like £10, but cookie wouldnt go near it

No, it smells good. Like apples and bananas and hay. But they still didn't want it. We did syringe it into Olliver's mouth when he was really sick though. Since he couldn't use his limbs he couldn't get away from us so that wast he only time we could get any of them to eat it!

I keep 100% pure fruit baby food in the fridge to use if necessary. It's pear and pineapple or I have used just apple too. It's actually been really useful to administer Peppermints anti-biotics as he was getting upset having to have them regularly and is on them long term. He wouldn't take it on a leaf like the other buns, as he's had his incisors out. I just have to watch so I know he's had it all, but he licks it up and it's been a great success. There's been no weight problems or tummy issues either but he only has a tiny blob on top of his chopped veggies so one pot will last between 7 and 10 days.

oooh that's a good idea :)

I feed pure mashed apple baby food (probably cheaper to mash my own lol ) because my rabbits won't touch the science recovery stuff, they also eat mashed banana and oats (not baby food) and soemtimes some fruit smoothie, but that's if they aren't eating anything at all, If they are eating a bit I give them finely grated veg :)

I have fed fruit baby food to Teddy when he has had stasis. I just think it's important to get SOMETHING through them!!

Back