• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please

theresa

Warren Veteran
i took on a new bun about three weeks ago,,, she hadnt been handled much,, which i thought i could sort,, as ive loads of patience,,,and time on my hands, shes, very struggly and scratchy as you,d expect,, but thats no probs i knew she would be,,, but so far every single time shes scratched me , the wound becomes raised red,, itchy then infected,,,, its only this bun that does it,, none of my others have this effect,, was wondering if any of you have any clues, it would be really helpful thankyou

If I get scratched by my bunnies or cats this happens. Just a slight allergic reaction. I just put some antispeptic cream on and it goes away quickly.

ive never had this before though,,, ive kept buns for thirty years now,, and not one has had this effect only babs,,, the last scratch took over a week to heal,, even with careful cleaning and my old faithful tcp,

ive never had this before though,,, ive kept buns for thirty years now,, and not one has had this effect only babs,,, the last scratch took over a week to heal,, even with careful cleaning and my old faithful tcp,

Babs must just have something slightly more irritating to you than the others. All my animals do it to me cos I am very allergy prone.

glad to say its only babs,,, even firey bracken who gets me on a regular basis never has this effect,,:lol:

could it be pasteurella? It can cause blood poisoning if that's the case, so make sure you wear a thick fleece when handling her, and take the time to wash and put antiseptic cream and a plaster on any scratches - And well done for giving a troublesome bunny a chance! :)

I get quite a bump if a bun scratches me. I think you just have to clear the wound with diluted disinfectant (too much and it can make it worse) and then I would rub a little antihistamine cream cream around the edges. Depending on how often you handle her, taking an antihistamine tablet about an hour before hand could help (i have to do that when ever I have to handle Ivy (the plant)) and of course, wrap up well in a long sleeved turtle neck or similar.

Back