PDA

View Full Version : Can't put my finger on what's wrong u/d 17/02 back from vet

HS
16-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Ruby's not herself today. There's nothing physical that I can pinpoint. She's eating as normal, pooing - checked her over and there's no obvious cuts/ breaks etc.
She has a dull look in her eyes and is a little sluggish - she's usually my bright eyed bouncy one!
I've just made her run around the grass a little, but she's just not herself.
Bobby's been to the vet this morning to have his abcess drained, so maybe she feels a bit weirded out.
Whatever the case, could we have some bouncy vibes to my beautiful girl please.

vicky206
16-02-2008, 06:36 PM
happy bouncy vibes for ruby

HS
16-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Thank you. I'll pass them on.

bunbuns
16-02-2008, 06:56 PM
More bouncy vibes on the way!!

HS
16-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I'm so worried about her, and Bobby as well. They're not cuddly buns though - so a cuddle would stress them out more (but would help me greatly!)

Becki xX
16-02-2008, 07:44 PM
That knowing that something is wrong but not being able to put your finger on what is the worst feeling in the world :( Had it with Jen months before anything was diagnosed & it occupied my mind 24/7, Its awful - Obviously not saying anything awful is wrong with Ruby, but sending Vibes to her & Big hugs to you too :( XX

HS
16-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks. She's sitting on the floor of the run, which is unusual - they usually sit on top of the hutch, but Bobby's with her, and I've just thrown a big pile of hay over them, which they are currently chomping their way out of.
I'll just keep my eye on her.

HS
16-02-2008, 10:22 PM
OK, so I've just been out to feed them adn Ruby just went to hide away.
Left them for a few minutes, nos sign of Rubes (extremely unusual!)
SO, tummy rubs, and some very diluted recovery, nice and warm, which she took readily. Her tummy feels fine.
I noticed some snot in her left nostril - cleaned it up - but wondering if that is what's bothering her. It's on the same side her small eye abcess was on (now cleared up), but I'm wondering if it's teeth related?
I'll keep monitoring her tonight and appropriate vet action if necessary.

loopylop
16-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Awww :( I hope she is ok. I don't know much about snotty noses so can't help there, I will send some healing vibes over though!

Keep us updated xxx

SOAD
16-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh no sending lots and lots of vibes, so stressfull for you.

Becki xX
16-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh no :( Poor Ruby, Thinking of you X

HS
16-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks both of you.
I though it was Bobby who'd be the problem, as he's had his abcess drained today - but he's fine!

Indiechic
16-02-2008, 11:31 PM
sending vibes, i had something similar with lils weds nite and its not nice so hope your bunny baby gets better soon x

HS
16-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Thank you
She was still under the hutch when I went to look, so prepared the meds. Went back and she was sat in the middle of a pile of hay eating:D. She's just had the remains of tea that I rescued from Bobby earlier, so ok for tonight.
I'll have a proper look at her in daylight tomorrow.
Thanks for the vibes.

Indiechic
16-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Lilly decided to eat after id arrange to see the emergency vet... typical eh x

HS
16-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Absolutely!
I did tell her she wasn't in trouble though, I was just glad to see her feeling better!

SarahP
17-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Phew - what a relief. So pleased! :)

loopylop
17-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Awww bless her :love:

Sounds like those buns are keeping you busy! :shock: :lol:

SOAD
17-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Yayayayyayay :D

ailz
17-02-2008, 10:58 AM
How are Ruby & Bobby today?

HS
17-02-2008, 11:45 AM
:cry::cry::cry:
Bobs is fine.
Ruby refused her breakfast, adn still has snot coming out of her nose. I've fed her some recovery, but no change in her yet. I'm just going to get showered and dressed and then I'll ge ton the 'phone to the vet.

Becki xX
17-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh dear :( Thats odd, I wonder what could be wrong? Keep us updated Helen, Hugs to Ruby :love: X

elve
17-02-2008, 11:57 AM
oh dear - sounds like the abscess has returened so maybe she's in pain - hope she gets it sorted soon :(

HS
17-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I can't see an abcess in her eyelid anymore, so I'm thinking it may have returned in her tear duct or even tooth root!
I'm getting a little paranoid - they live together and have abcesses at the same time :? The vet said it's just coincidence, but what if it's me?

ailz
17-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm no expert on these things, but how could you be causing them? IMHO I think you're being just a little paranoid

HS
17-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks ailz. It's just a horrible coincidence.
Rubes has eaten a little and poo'd, and is still sat out in the sunshine. She has sneezed a couple of times, and seems a little wobbly on one of her front paws, so I'm wondering if she has strained anything, particularly as she hasn't been up to her favourite vantage point.
I phoned the vet, who is currently on a farm emergency, who said to carry on syringing the recovery as and when needed, and to take her in later this afternoon if there's no improvement.

elve
17-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Is she one of the bunnies that likes to sit out all night in sub-zero temperatures?

loopylop
17-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Oh no! :( I have no suggestions but hope she perks up soon xxx

HS
17-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Is she one of the bunnies that likes to sit out all night in sub-zero temperatures?

Yes, she never uses the hutch. Do you think that may have something to do with it?

SarahP
17-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I've certainly noticed with mine that a temperature change can bring on stasis. They are now indoors, as they are so vulnerable to it.

FriskyClover
17-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I agree, cold snaps can cause it. Smokey was a but dodgey when it first started getting cold but (fingers crossed) seems to have settled.

Lots of vibes for your bunny.

FC xx

elve
17-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes, she never uses the hutch. Do you think that may have something to do with it?

well I would imagine (just guessing) that if she's normally fighting an infection and getting the better of it, being forced to use calories up keeping warm is going to mean less strength for fighting germs? I don't think they are capable of looking after themselves as you need a logical brain to work out that getting cold is bad for your health - like little kids will go out without a coat won't they? They don't understand it's bad for them.

Also like you said in the other thread - their water is frozen. In general my rabbits won't drink cold water - it's never touched all day at the moment, they will only have a drink when it's steaming in the morning or evening, when they get it warmed with kettle water. There does seem to be so many bunnies with stasis at the moment and I'm sure the lack of fluids is down to it being winter and they don't like cold drinks - speaking for my lot anyway.

HS
17-02-2008, 05:25 PM
They are always outside, never been inside, and the times they've been brought into the garage (after Bobby's op) she's been very distressed about the change.
She is eating of her own accord, she just doesn't look right, and isn't behaving in her usual way.

HS
17-02-2008, 05:27 PM
well I would imagine (just guessing) that if she's normally fighting an infection and getting the better of it, being forced to use calories up keeping warm is going to mean less strength for fighting germs? I don't think they are capable of looking after themselves as you need a logical brain to work out that getting cold is bad for your health - like little kids will go out without a coat won't they? They don't understand it's bad for them.

Also like you said in the other thread - their water is frozen. In general my rabbits won't drink cold water - it's never touched all day at the moment, they will only have a drink when it's steaming in the morning or evening, when they get it warmed with kettle water. There does seem to be so many bunnies with stasis at the moment and I'm sure the lack of fluids is down to it being winter and they don't like cold drinks - speaking for my lot anyway.

Yes, you have a point there.
I did warm their water up this morning with the kettle, but I'll make sure it's warm.
I'm also concerned about her sitting on the concrete - so I piled a load of hay on there for her to snuggle into.
Normally she would be on top of the hutch and the fact that she isn't is concerning me.

HS
17-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, been to vet - temperature fine, teeth fine, tummy fine (Ruby poo'd while we were there!), but looks like the onset of a respiratory infection, so she's been given baytril/ vitamins and anti-inflammatory jab with some Baytril to come home. I'm to continue with the recovery food as long as she's not eating brilliantly.
Thanks for all your messages of support.

Jack's-Jane
17-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, been to vet - temperature fine, teeth fine, tummy fine (Ruby poo'd while we were there!), but looks like the onset of a respiratory infection, so she's been given baytril/ vitamins and anti-inflammatory jab with some Baytril to come home. I'm to continue with the recovery food as long as she's not eating brilliantly.
Thanks for all your messages of support.

Hopefully the abx will soon kick in and she will be feeling much better

Lots of get well vibes on their way :D

Janex

HS
17-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Jane
thanks. Fingers crossed! I've rammed the run full of straw and hay, so hopefully she'll stay warm. Nurse Bobby is on hand anyway!

Steph
17-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I am so sorry I missed this thread :( Hopefully the meds will work quickly and then on the road to recovery. Sending lots of vibes xx

loopylop
17-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Awwww, bless her :love: