• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fungal Infection please help!

Carol X

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone.
I think my bunny has a fungal infection. I have treated many a guinea pig with this condition before.But not to sure how to treat a bunny( is it the same way). Could anyone give me some advise please.
Many Thanks

Hi Jane
It started on top of his shoulders 2 small patches the size of a 2p coin, if not just a little smaller. I have now found a bald patch just above his tail I have seen him having a nibble of it lately, and the patches have got larger over the last couple of days. He had been to the vets and they said it was not mites, it was because he was moulting. The hair is very easy to pull out and it has lots of dried skin.Just like dandruff.
Thanks
Carol

Hi Jane
It started on top of his shoulders 2 small patches the size of a 2p coin, if not just a little smaller. I have now found a bald patch just above his tail I have seen him having a nibble of it lately, and the patches have got larger over the last couple of days. He had been to the vets and they said it was not mites, it was because he was moulting. The hair is very easy to pull out and it has lots of dried skin.Just like dandruff.
Thanks
Carol

Sounds like Cheyleitiella Mites to me. Did the Vet use a Woods Lamp to check for a fungal infection?

Janex

Not sure Jane. As I have only had him for 2 weeks he was a rescue from my local RSPCA. The lady took him to the vets to have his jabs and asked about the bald patches before I got him. He is a rex, not sure if that well make a differants. If it is what you said how would I treat it. I have taken some pictures of his fur but I can only email them as I can not use photo bucket.:oops:

Ok I'll PM you my email addie :)

*If* its Cheyleitiella ( even morse convinced now as the condition tends to flare up at times of stress. So the fact he's had a few changes lately will have unsettled him) a course of Ivermectin, usually 3 treatments, one every 10 days, should clear it up :)

Janex

Back