• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much should it cost?

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Im trying to weigh up which will offer the best value for the hutches...

im looking to have two 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutches (one on top of the other). My dad was planning on making them, and im supposed to be buying materials this weekend... im trying to see how much this will cost? and whether there are any quality hutches to buy?

The quicker i get them done or bought, the quicker i can get partners for my two ladies x

I'd just buy two from happy hutch tbh. One thing though, if all buns are in smelling distance, is it not quite likely that they will fight with their partners? :?

I'd just buy two from happy hutch tbh. One thing though, if all buns are in smelling distance, is it not quite likely that they will fight with their partners? :?

Def think about this because Trip and Scarlett get all moody if Buu or Beau goes past their hutch. But then there are people on here who have pairs fairly close to each other with no problems x

For a well built hutch I recommend Ryedale. I thought my happyhutches were brilliant until my Ryedale hutch arrived :oops::lol:

I don't want them to be single all thier lves tho, would people suggest that they hutches are at seperate ends of the shed? the shed is 8x6 foot. i could raise them off the floor then could have storage underneath i suppose...

x

I had two groups right next to each other (about 2 inches between their crates)
They would squabble at the sight of each other but not at the smell - nothing serious, but I didn't want them unnecessarily stressed. As long as I put a sheet of cardboard about 2' high they were fine, even though they could smell and hear the group next door.

I would have one hutch on top of the other, so they would only see eachother when in the runs in the garden, but the runs are not next to each other...

x

I think one on top of another is fine. Especially if they are outside as there are many other sounds/smells etc around to distract them from the tenants above/below. Many rescues also house couples this way and generally it's not problem. I'm about to make a similar setup for my sisters rabbits (two pairs) only it's going to be 6ft by by two ft high (each hutch). I made a 7ft by 3ft hutch for one of my rabbits since she hates all my other bunnies so has to have a cage to make her feel like she has her own space. The rest are free range in house and summerhouse. It wasn't anywhere as hard as I though to make a hutch and FAR cheaper. You can make it just as good as a Happy hutch hutch if you use the right materials. I used 38mm by 38mm wood for framing, 6mm plywood for flooring, tongue and groove cladding for the exterior, and fine aviary mesh for doors. If you have a timber merchant near you it is far cheaper to buy from there instead. Places like B&Q and focus etc are just too expensive. I only paid 15 for a roll of mesh 4ft by 12ft long.

I think it will cost around 60 quid to make your hutch given you find the right places to buy from and it's just the actually making it that is the hard part!! I did it all on my own with a manual saw and electric screwdriver but this time I'm using an electric saw because it will make it a whole lot easier!! I'm a bit of a wimpy girl and although LOVE building things I'm not very strong. I'm sure your dad will have no problem!!

Sheesh, your more adventurous than me... so do u reckon 60 per hutch or 60 for the lot?

u don't have any plans or instructions do u? my dad said he'll help - but hes a busy guy :roll::lol: and it will take him months to get organised!!!

x

one on top of the other would be fine i think ;)

cool.... im going to raise them off the ground to prevent rot, then i shall build two hutches,,,

i just put moo back in her crate and she ran past me and did a binky then flopped on the carpet... not in her crate the ****** :lol::roll:

My dad has just rung and has promised it WILL be done in a weekend, and before the end of march which means only one thing, afew weeks i can start the bunny husbun hunt...

imk just trying to find brackets for the doors x

Sheesh, your more adventurous than me... so do u reckon 60 per hutch or 60 for the lot?

u don't have any plans or instructions do u? my dad said he'll help - but hes a busy guy :roll::lol: and it will take him months to get organised!!!

x
I reckon it will cost 60-80 for the whole thing...would be less but you will have to buy mesh and roof felt.

I will draw up some plans over the next couple of days and send them to you as well as a picture of my existing one. I still have to figure out the roofing as it will need to be a flat roof but raised at the front so water drains off. The one I have already built just has a flat roof as it's in my summerhouse. The main frame etc I have already drawn out. It's prob not as hard as you think. Once you have the framing sorted out you just need to put the cladding on. :)

I will also show you a breakdown of my timber costs (will vary for you)

awww your a star thankyou.. its in a shed so can be a flat one, theres no chance of us putting them out...

xxx

well...when domino first bonded with pebbles, peanut and jelly were still single buns, and if he ever saw either of them he wud chase pebbles. then when pb and j were bonded, he still did it. he didnt hurt her tho, i just kept a close eye out and within a few weeks he stopped and now theyre runs are side by side

well, when we priced up the cost of making a run it came to about £50/60 and that was with 20% staff discount :roll:. bought one off ebay in the end :D

Back