• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

some hay questions

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I'm sure we've had this before but can't remember :oops: whats the difference between hay and dried grasss - ie whats the difference in their production which means theyre not the same?

also I was wondering...if you occasionally feed different types of hay eg dried grass or oat hay as a "treat" as a treat, will your rabbit start turning their nose up at the normal hay?

Im not really sure of the difference.
I do give my lot dried grass everyday.. they love it and eat lots of it. They also get oat hay and timothy hay as alternative to normal meadow hay but they still eat the meadow hay as well :D

I am no expert.... but, I think dried grass is like the grass we know, but long, like the grass you would imagine growing in an open meadow (awww that sounds so nice!).

Hay is from a crop, like the stuff you see growing in a field. Hay is dried for 6 months or so but I believe grass is just dried, not sure if there is a time scale. Maybe it can be cut wet and then dried where as hay should be dry during the harvest.

Ultimately they are both types of "grasses", hay being more fibrous.

Bobbin has Timothy Hay as his main one, I add dried grass and Brome hay to give it a bit of diversity. I don't think they will go off it if they liked it to begin with, perhaps when you give the treat hay don't take away the normal one, feed both at the same time.

cool, thankyou. :) I normally feed meadow hay cos they have no problem with it but sorrel does love a treat of brome hay and I like to get as much hay into her as possible so i thought id give her a little handful every now and then.

Back