• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

-6 tonight for buns

mullethead

Mama Doe
Just a warning as its going down to -6 in places tonight so make sure all buns have extra bedding and get them hutches playhouses covered;)

bloomin eck, I have been down the garden and it's cold here already, ground is solid for a change rather than the muddy bog it normally is.

Oh I hate frost (looks pretty though)!

I've found that curtains on my playhouse windows keep a lot of the heat in, I also shove in a heatpad and put vetbed under the hay. Sometimes I feel like crawling in there myself to sleep (but I think Smokey would turf me out):lol:.

The 6ft hutch i got for free when i rehomed Tilly does not have a sleeping compartment, so she has an animal carrier, which i have stuffed full of hay and straw, but leaving enough space for her to nestle into it.(would it be better if i filled it completly, so she can get right in it?) I also cover her with a sleeping bag and she has a full hutch cover on top, what else can i do to make ure she's warm enough???? I do worry about her out there.

Today has been the first morning I've had frozen water bowls since last year..
Thanks for the warning for tonight I'll make sure we are prepared..

All the hutches are stuffed full of hay and straw now, its so sunny outside here though. I want to go and sit in it :oops:

I'm sure it must have been -6 here last night - there was icy patterns on the inside of the shed window, and Benny's water dish was frozen :shock: So I'll expect -8 tonight then :shock:

However much straw I put in the bunny hutches, they still insist on sitting on top of them. I put straw on there for them, they move it aside:roll:
Seems like I have a bunch of tough bunnies!
I always keep an eye on the water though - had to break the ice on their bowls this morning.

Glad mine are indoor buns - not for their sake, but mine :lol: Glad I haven't got to go out into that cold! :lol: :oops:

I hate the thought of Tilly outside in her hutch when it's soooo cold, It seems to bother me more than her, I hope she'll be ok tonight

We've filled the upstairs hidyhole in the buns shed full of hay hubby said they'll have to burrow into it..
Cookie isn't allowed in their hidyhole yet I don't think( Furby doesn't allow him yet :rolleyes:) So we have the carrier downstairs for Cookie with vetbed and snuggle safe and hay..
We've used a whole sack of dustfree hay, piggies have had a load aswell though..

I'll pop out about 11pm to pop their snuggles in.. I know the buns will be fine but a little worried about the piggies :( Their hutch is full of hay/straw and their shed is insulated so never feels chilly in there but I do worry :(

i know what you mean, i'm not worried about my guinea pigs as they are in a heated shed, it shouldn't drop much below 10 degrees in there, which is still chilly, but i do worry about how warm tilly will be in her hutch, bless her.

Well even thoe there playhouse is insulated and had a tarpaulin over it and put boiled water in there water to try and keep a chill off it it was still ice on top the windows had still frosted up,but buns are ok and scoffing there pellets n hay:D

Yes mine didn't care about the cold either, they were still waiting to be let out this morning! They are grazing on the frosted grass even though Ive put a pile of hay out!

Back