PDA

View Full Version : Is it nessersary?

x-baby-bella-x
15-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Hello.

I think I may be a very bad bunny mummy by thinking this but is it really nessersary to get Bella spayed? People say they live for a bit longer and behave better but I'm not sure. My mum, my sister and me thought if we keep Bella away from any other rabbits there won't be any possible way that Bella could have more bunnies. We're not exactly going to put her in with a male rabbit when not nessersary etc...or are we just being selfish to Bella?

I'm also having a few handling problems. My confidence has gone completly, and when I go to try Bella jumps away and scratches me. I've had Bella now almost 1 year and I've still not come to handling her correctly. Does that mean I'm a very terrible person and shouldn't be a bunny mummy? I've been looking up on the internet tips on how to handle her but when I try it all it doesn't work! Bella either jumps away from me and scratches me or I lose all confidence in doing it. If I do manage to pick her up, it would only be for about 5 to 10 seconds before she would start to wriggle and kick me. Even them I have to put something against the wall to distract her then I go to try. Sometimes she realises what I'm going to do and jumps away anyway!

You know how sometimes people say if you pick them up by the scruff of their neck it might be better, well I cannot do that. I think I'm hurting her and when I go to try it I'm sure I'm doing it in the wrong place and pinching her or something thats hurting her! That proves I'm a terrible bunny mummy! :cry:

Lucy
15-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Operation to eradicate 85% of death by cancer? Yes, I know that I'd go for spaying on those odds!

x-baby-bella-x
15-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Operation to eradicate 85% of death by cancer? Yes, I know that I'd go for spaying on those odds!

I really want to get Bella spayed, don't get me wrong, but my mum is having some debt problems and I really would like Bella to get done before she's 1 year old and thats on May 6th. :cry:

Jack-Bun
15-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Hello.

I'm also having a few handling problems. My confidence has gone completly, and when I go to try Bella jumps away and scratches me. I've had Bella now almost 1 year and I've still not come to handling her correctly. Does that mean I'm a very terrible person and shouldn't be a bunny mummy? I've been looking up on the internet tips on how to handle her but when I try it all it doesn't work! Bella either jumps away from me and scratches me or I lose all confidence in doing it. If I do manage to pick her up, it would only be for about 5 to 10 seconds before she would start to wriggle and kick me. Even them I have to put something against the wall to distract her then I go to try. Sometimes she realises what I'm going to do and jumps away anyway!

You know how sometimes people say if you pick them up by the scruff of their neck it might be better, well I cannot do that. I think I'm hurting her and when I go to try it I'm sure I'm doing it in the wrong place and pinching her or something thats hurting her! That proves I'm a terrible bunny mummy! :cry:

I know what you mean, mine hate to be picked up. I cannot pick them up by their scruff, and I get all funny when they do it at the vets. But my buns prefer to be carried around in a bucket :shock: then to be picked up!

I know I may sound really strange- Lol- but they dont mind being moved around in a bucket. :oops:

sazzy
15-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't think your a bad bunny mummy if your considering not getting her spayed i totally understand why you don't want to do it and if she won't be near any boy bunnies you have not got to worry about babies i understand about the cancer and everything but i think it is up to you

XMissySJx
15-02-2008, 11:14 PM
right well...when you say she is scratching you etc, thats her hormones. One of my buns, Jelly, always scratchd and bit, now she has been spayed she is very docile. she still isnt keen on being picked up but shes nothing like she was...so from the sounds of it...Bella needs to be spayed. You will find she is more docile, therefore easier to make friends with her.

Secondly, never try to pick he rup by the scruff! You could really hurt her and she wont thank you for it! Try sitting with her, but ignore her. With my foster bun, i would sit cross legged nar him, pop some treats on my lap, read a magazine and let him come to me. when he did, i ignored him still, i let him take the food without me 'noticing', gradually i would move my hand closer, then enough to stroke him etc and he became so friendly.

also, yous ay ' bit longer' theres i think an 80% chance she could get unterine cancer by the time shes four, where as if you get her spayed she could live up to and possibly over ten years.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

XMissySJx
15-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I know what you mean, mine hate to be picked up. I cannot pick them up by their scruff, and I get all funny when they do it at the vets. But my buns prefer to be carried around in a bucket :shock: then to be picked up!

I know I may sound really strange- Lol- but they dont mind being moved around in a bucket. :oops:

i put jelly in a huge washing basket to carry her to the run! she prefers that that no be picked up!lol so i know what you mean

Jack-Bun
15-02-2008, 11:17 PM
They find it much better dont they...?
Mine love it, sometimes they will just sit in it...!:lol:

lucy pepsi
15-02-2008, 11:18 PM
your not being a bad bunny mummy.....

as far as picking up Bella goes they SOOOO know when you are not 100% confident!!! I have been having the same problem with Dexter, the rescue i got in on Tuesday - he is so thin and covered in infected bite wounds that i was worried about hurthing him and he totally knew i wasnt sure of myself!

Now with Dexter i put a blanket/towel over his body (not his head!) and scoop him up - he knows that it means medicine time, but the blanket seems to calm him and stops him being able to scratch or kick :roll:

Tamsin
15-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Hiya,

There is no age limit for spaying :) A year old is quite young still. If it's something you want to do but can't afford my suggest would be to save gradually so put a few pounds away each week and then get it done in six months or so.

I think a bun will notice if your not confident and play up. You need to take things slow and build up both your confidences. For now try using a cat carrier when you need to move her about and go back to basics just spending time on the floor with her. Get her used to having you stroke and touch her before you try advanced stuff like picking her up :) Do you know someone with a confident rabbit you can practice on?

Tamsin

parsnipbun
15-02-2008, 11:25 PM
I know that money can be difficult - especially if its a matter of trying to get someone else to spend it who doesn't really have a lot - but it really IS important that she is spayed:

If she is not spayed there is a VERY high risk of her having cancer of the womb before she is even 4 years old - up to 85% die of this. And thats like a person dying at age 30 really.

And not only will that be very sad for both you and her, but she may be very ill and in pain with the cancer for months before she dies of it, and then you will not only feel very bad and sad but also it will cost lots and lots of money to try and keep her pain free and maybe operate to try and rid her of the cancer. This will cost hundreds of pounds.

Also her scratching will probably improve a lot if she is neutered - as at the moment she is very hormonal and must have pretend pregnancies and feel like biting and scratching lots to keep people away from nests that she builds in the hay.

If she is neutered she will settle down and be much more friendly and handleable.

Find a good rabbit vet that has a very low rate of problems with neutering and does LOTS of them (ask them about this); then ask for an exact price with all the pain medications etc so you know exactly what you need, You could also ask if the local RSPCA would help -sometimes they can give you a voucher to help with neutering. The vet might even know about this - but if not phone the local RSPCA (in the phone book or on-line contact details) and check.

Good Luck!

rabswood
15-02-2008, 11:37 PM
She can be spayed at anytime so just start saving up. You will also be able to adopt her a (neutered) husbun from a rescue, you will notice such a difference in her when she has a mate, a bun to groom and snuggle with.

Phone round the vets in your area you will be amazed at the difference in price.

All my buns, male and female have been spade/neutered and live in male/female pairs and are all happy healthy buns. Go for it :thumb:

Rabswood

SarahP
16-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Mine were at least 18 months old when I got them and had them spayed. Just save up and get her done when you can.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 12:04 AM

Yeah I go all funny too because it seems like its hurting them but thats how their mothers carry them, right?

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't think your a bad bunny mummy if your considering not getting her spayed i totally understand why you don't want to do it and if she won't be near any boy bunnies you have not got to worry about babies i understand about the cancer and everything but i think it is up to you

Is there any possible way I could stop her getting cancer and how could she get it if she's on her own? :roll:

Deelove
16-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah I go all funny too because it seems like its hurting them but thats how their mothers carry them, right?

I don't think mother rabbits pick their babies up by the scruff. :-) If you think about how rabbits teeth are it would not really be possible I don't think.

donnamt
16-02-2008, 12:09 AM
awww hun i cant pick up Alvin, he beats me up when i try to brush him too... they do sense our lack of confidence and that i think fears them into fight mode.... ste on the otherhand wont bend to Alvins will and successfully manages to handle him even with all the fighting...

unfortunatley for pearl she is my practice bun as shes so peaceful and i find picking her up a dream she also loves fuss.. i guess some bunnies just like to be a free spirit.. i try not to feel bad i cant handle Alvin cus hes a happy little monster and thats all that matters really :)

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 12:09 AM
right well...when you say she is scratching you etc, thats her hormones. One of my buns, Jelly, always scratchd and bit, now she has been spayed she is very docile. she still isnt keen on being picked up but shes nothing like she was...so from the sounds of it...Bella needs to be spayed. You will find she is more docile, therefore easier to make friends with her.

Secondly, never try to pick he rup by the scruff! You could really hurt her and she wont thank you for it! Try sitting with her, but ignore her. With my foster bun, i would sit cross legged near him, pop some treats on my lap, read a magazine and let him come to me. when he did, i ignored him still, i let him take the food without me 'noticing', gradually i would move my hand closer, then enough to stroke him etc and he became so friendly.

also, you say ' bit longer' theres i think an 80% chance she could get unterine cancer by the time shes four, where as if you get her spayed she could live up to and possibly over ten years.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't mean scratching as Bella meaning to do it, I mean like as her nails as a bit long and need clipping, they catch me and scratch me.

Isn't that how their mother picks them up, by the scruff?

When you say uterine cancer, what exactly do you mean as Bella isn't going near any other rabbits that could have cancer which Bella could catch?

Thanks.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 12:11 AM
They find it much better dont they...?
Mine love it, sometimes they will just sit in it...!:lol:

But I'd like to cuddle up with Bella watching telly :roll:

donnamt
16-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Is there any possible way I could stop her getting cancer and how could she get it if she's on her own? :roll:

i had that explained to me when i asked about it...i couldnt understand why buns get cancer if they dont have babies but us humans dont..

they dont have breed cycles like us, their always on hormones is what causes the cancer, even if theyve had babies :shock::shock:

it really seems like nature is pretty anti bunnies huh :(

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 12:14 AM
your not being a bad bunny mummy.....

as far as picking up Bella goes they SOOOO know when you are not 100% confident!!! I have been having the same problem with Dexter, the rescue i got in on Tuesday - he is so thin and covered in infected bite wounds that i was worried about hurthing him and he totally knew i wasnt sure of myself!

Now with Dexter i put a blanket/towel over his body (not his head!) and scoop him up - he knows that it means medicine time, but the blanket seems to calm him and stops him being able to scratch or kick :roll:

Thanks.

Yeah I understand that and thats what I can't get my head around :roll:

When you say a blanket/towel, do you mean put it just over Dexter's back like we do a jacket, or do you mean over his front too so its all round him?
And how does that stop him from kicking as couldn't he just stretch and he's got his legs out of the blanket/towel?

Jack-Bun
16-02-2008, 12:14 AM
But I'd like to cuddle up with Bella watching telly :roll:

Lol. When my buns come in, they stay on the floor, then come up to the sofa, but when I first got them they didnt, they just have to get used to you, your smell, and ou have to get used to them!

Tamsin
16-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Hiya,

Rabbits don't pick up their babies and carry them around like dogs and cats do. Rabbit's shouldn't be picked up by their scruffs because their skin is very thin.

There is some pictures and instructions on how to pick up a rabbit correctly here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp This is how they should be lifted:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/images/handling1.jpg

If you don't like the way your vet handles your rabbit then say something, explain how your rabbit is used to being held and that it will be more relaxed if the vet uses the same method.

Tamsin

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Hiya,

There is no age limit for spaying :) A year old is quite young still. If it's something you want to do but can't afford my suggest would be to save gradually so put a few pounds away each week and then get it done in six months or so.

I think a bun will notice if your not confident and play up. You need to take things slow and build up both your confidences. For now try using a cat carrier when you need to move her about and go back to basics just spending time on the floor with her. Get her used to having you stroke and touch her before you try advanced stuff like picking her up :) Do you know someone with a confident rabbit you can practice on?

Tamsin

Yeah thats what I'm trying to do is save up but my mum has debt problems :/ There clearing up though, slowly...

I think Bella trusts me stroking her and stuff, its just the picking up. I can like bring her cage into the room where I'd like to pick her up then open it and wait for Bella to move then pick her up like her bottom is facing away and I'm just holding her chest/belly to put her where I'd like her to be. Bella is used to the stroking and touching, etc... just the picking up. Theres not a confidence rabbit in the family. Bella is the only rabbit :cry:

cavysrock
16-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi Hunny!
I know how you feel, my family went through terrible money problems and i felt so cruel (which was also made worse by a certain someone :rolleyes: ) anyway, just save as much as you can each week and you'll be able to get her spayed sooner or later :) i was planning on getting ym two spayed soon but now my brotehr has lost his job due to illness and he can't afford his house so we are low on money again, my mum has had to go into my vet fund to pay for food :( so the spays are waiting.
(EMERGENCY VET BILLS WILL BE PAYED FOR!!!)

cavysrock
16-02-2008, 12:23 AM
also, rabbits are natural prey animals and don't really liekd being picked up :D some do but alot don't. so don't worry. as long as she trusts you enough to stroke her then i see no problem :D

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I know that money can be difficult - especially if its a matter of trying to get someone else to spend it who doesn't really have a lot - but it really IS important that she is spayed:

If she is not spayed there is a VERY high risk of her having cancer of the womb before she is even 4 years old - up to 85% die of this. And thats like a person dying at age 30 really.

And not only will that be very sad for both you and her, but she may be very ill and in pain with the cancer for months before she dies of it, and then you will not only feel very bad and sad but also it will cost lots and lots of money to try and keep her pain free and maybe operate to try and rid her of the cancer. This will cost hundreds of pounds.

Also her scratching will probably improve a lot if she is neutered - as at the moment she is very hormonal and must have pretend pregnancies and feel like biting and scratching lots to keep people away from nests that she builds in the hay.

If she is neutered she will settle down and be much more friendly and handleable.

Find a good rabbit vet that has a very low rate of problems with neutering and does LOTS of them (ask them about this); then ask for an exact price with all the pain medications etc so you know exactly what you need, You could also ask if the local RSPCA would help -sometimes they can give you a voucher to help with neutering. The vet might even know about this - but if not phone the local RSPCA (in the phone book or on-line contact details) and check.

Good Luck!

Thanks. When I tell my mum about this all she does is start shouting at me saying "Diana, she could, she couldn't, she could, she couldn't. If everyone believed that the world would be another place like the world was supposed to be ending over 25 years ago." :cry: I really need this for Bella and it to be kind of cheap :cry:

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Lol. When my buns come in, they stay on the floor, then come up to the sofa, but when I first got them they didnt, they just have to get used to you, your smell, and ou have to get used to them!

I know but Bella has!

kimd6200
16-02-2008, 09:31 AM
diana,i also had and still do have money trouble.you do wat you can,when you can.as for pickin bun up,thumper would rather stratch me too pieces than be picked up.he likes a stroke on his head but that is it.he is quite happy doing his own thing.dont worry too much if she doesnt like bein picked up.she she run about your room?perhaps try lying on the floor by her n she if shell come to you.x:D

cherylwares
16-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Some buns just don't like being picked up no matter how hard you try. I have had buns from birth and they still don't like being handled, so it might be something you just have to accept.

However, are you standing up when you pick her up? You could try picking her up when you are sitting on the floor to start with?

Jack-Bun
16-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Why not try sitting with her, ignoring her, let her come to you... Gradually she will probably get on yur lap (if you use treats), if you do this everyday, she will get used to being on you and you touching her...

Gradually, start to pick her up, a small bit at first, getting higher everytime...

PM me if you want anymore advice.:D

clutterydrawer
16-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah thats what I'm trying to do is save up but my mum has debt problems :/ There clearing up though, slowly...

I think Bella trusts me stroking her and stuff, its just the picking up. I can like bring her cage into the room where I'd like to pick her up then open it and wait for Bella to move then pick her up like her bottom is facing away and I'm just holding her chest/belly to put her where I'd like her to be. Bella is used to the stroking and touching, etc... just the picking up. Theres not a confidence rabbit in the family. Bella is the only rabbit :cry:

It must be tough both for you and your mum at the moment :( but with such a high risk of uterine cancer in an unspayed doe, you would just end up paying out the money in the end when she inevitably got ill. Ring round some vets to see how much it costs and then put away a little bit whenever you can. She is very young yet and even if you only put away £2 a week you could *probably* afford it in around six months. good luck :wave:

IzzyTwig
16-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't mean scratching as Bella meaning to do it, I mean like as her nails as a bit long and need clipping, they catch me and scratch me.

Isn't that how their mother picks them up, by the scruff?

When you say uterine cancer, what exactly do you mean as Bella isn't going near any other rabbits that could have cancer which Bella could catch?

Thanks.

You can get nail clippers for about £2 so you can clip her nails so they're not so sharp, it's a bit tricky to get the hang of and you may need another person to hold her still, but it's definately worth it.

I've never actually seen a mother rabbit pick up her babies full stop, so don't ever pick them up by the scruff.

Cancer isn't contagious so she can't catch it from any other rabbit, she'll develop it on her own because of hormones. Same as in humans.

If you save up £2 a week if you can, then in 6 - 8 months you should be able to get her spayed. Rabbits can be spayed at any age.

clutterydrawer
16-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Thanks.

The cancer is caused by the flood of hormones within her when she is ready to breed. In a wild rabbit these would be reduced by pregnancy, which is why regularly bred rabbits are not affected in the same way. the excess hormones can make her very aggressive, fidgety, unfriendly and hard to handle - especially in spring.

Crystal butterfly
16-02-2008, 01:03 PM
well in my opinion speyed/neutering your rabbit is a personal choice its not something that has to be done but the outcome is good :)

before Crystal was speyed a good 2 years ago lol she was litrally the rabbit from hell! seriously though i couldnt pick her up without being ripped to shreds she bit me grunted at me and even growled i wasnt going to get her speyed because i was scarred but one day my sister got fed up with Crystals behaviour and actually payed for her spey :shock: the change in Crystals behaviour after her spey didnt change over night but every month her behaviour got better and shes now a lovely little rabbit who ive now bonded with quite closely, before she was speyed i felt i didnt love her anymore but now i cant imagine life without her :love: it scares me now that the fact Crystal is nearly 3 that if she hadnt been speyed she could have been dying with cancer right now :cry:

since shes no where near other rabbits i wouldnt say that speying her is urgent i just want to point out a few facts that vets sometimes say that arent true so dont listen to any of them ;)

1) her bad behaviour is down to her wantng babies let her have a litter and the behaviour will get better- deffinatly untrue... i know this from experience with Crystal
2) having babies means that she wont get cancer- all rabbit have an 80-85% chance of getting cancer even those who have babies

good luck hun :)

Jimmy's mum
16-02-2008, 01:09 PM
hi...

i would recommend you have your bun spayed, this will also stop her from getting a pyometra (infected womb) this can be fatal and is not very pretty, also cancer is a high risk in unneutered animals (this isnt caught off anything, its not contagious) cancer is a group of mutant cells that grow rapidly and can attack vital organs and is fatal to animals as in humans. your bun wouldn’t get it from anything else it just 'happens' just like humans there is no cure for this...... neutering her would reduce the chance of cancer.

She will be a much happier and healthier bun from having the op...

Hope this helps in your decision.

:D

xx

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 07:49 PM
She can be spayed at anytime so just start saving up. You will also be able to adopt her a (neutered) husbun from a rescue, you will notice such a difference in her when she has a mate, a bun to groom and snuggle with.

Phone round the vets in your area, you will be amazed at the difference in price.

All my buns, male and female have been spade/neutered and live in male/female pairs and are all happy healthy buns. Go for it :thumb:

Rabswood

I know, I'd love for Bella to have a husband :roll: Thanks!

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Mine were at least 18 months old when I got them and had them spayed. Just save up and get her done when you can.

I will do, thanks.

Indiechic
16-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Its a hard choice... but the positive outway the negatives.

i was so pleased that mine r spayed, but it is personal choice x

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't think mother rabbits pick their babies up by the scruff. :-) If you think about how rabbits teeth are it would not really be possible I don't think.

My mum said they do because she's had a load of them when my brothers were younger in the shed and thats how they did it.

Tamsin
16-02-2008, 08:02 PM

My mum said they do because she's had a load of them when my brothers were younger in the shed and thats how they did it.

Maybe she's forgotten as it's a while ago. Bunnies only have those pointy teeth at the front and they can't open their mouths wide, not like dogs/cats with wide grins. That's why babies who fall out of the nest often die - the mum rabbit can't pick them up to put them back in.

maisydaisystar
16-02-2008, 08:08 PM
i think it is definatly worth you ringing your local rspca animal home, they may give you a voucher to help pay for the spay. They are really good like that.
Actually mine are doing free neutering for all rabbits in my area at the moment but only if your family recieve benefits.
(just a thought, maybe they are all doing it now). Good luck, definatly ring them xx

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 08:22 PM
awww hun i cant pick up Alvin, he beats me up when i try to brush him too... they do sense our lack of confidence and that i think fears them into fight mode.... ste on the otherhand wont bend to Alvins will and successfully manages to handle him even with all the fighting...

unfortunatley for pearl she is my practice bun as shes so peaceful and i find picking her up a dream she also loves fuss.. i guess some bunnies just like to be a free spirit.. i try not to feel bad i cant handle Alvin cus hes a happy little monster and thats all that matters really :)

Yeah thats a good point, I'd love to pick Bella up though. My mum and sister did today and all I was saying was "No mum put her down!" because I'm a terrible bunny mummy!

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 08:36 PM
i had that explained to me when i asked about it...i couldnt understand why buns get cancer if they dont have babies but us humans dont..

they dont have breed cycles like us, their always on hormones is what causes the cancer, even if they've had babies :shock::shock:

it really seems like nature is pretty anti bunnies huh :(

How do I prevent Bella from getting cancer? I love her so much and wouldn't want to ever lose her? :cry:

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 08:38 PM

But Bella and me are used to each other?

Becki xX
16-02-2008, 08:39 PM
How do I prevent Bella from getting cancer? I love her so much and wouldn't want to ever lose her? :cry:

By getting her speyed. Someone else said, If you saved £2 a week, you could have her done in no time at all :D

But Bella and me are used to each other?

Think Jacks meaning in terms of handling etc. Personally, Unless you had to transport her somewhere, I'd leave her paws on the ground X

IzzyTwig
16-02-2008, 08:40 PM

Spaying is the only way really to prevent it. She's still young though so you don't need to rush to get her done, it's usually around 4-5 years old that they're most at risk, sometimes slightly younger. So just keep saving and don't worry.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Hiya,

Rabbits don't pick up their babies and carry them around like dogs and cats do. Rabbit's shouldn't be picked up by their scruffs because their skin is very thin.

There is some pictures and instructions on how to pick up a rabbit correctly here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp This is how they should be lifted:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/images/handling1.jpg

If you don't like the way your vet handles your rabbit then say something, explain how your rabbit is used to being held and that it will be more relaxed if the vet uses the same method.

Tamsin

Ok thanks Tamsin. That is one of the websites I found but when I come to do that I find I cannot do it, I have the confidence now but when it comes to doing it I lost it all! I'll ask the vet about this the next time we go. Thats how the rabbits my brothers had picked them up.
Thanks again!

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Hunny!
I know how you feel, my family went through terrible money problems and i felt so cruel (which was also made worse by a certain someone :rolleyes: ) anyway, just save as much as you can each week and you'll be able to get her spayed sooner or later :) i was planning on getting ym two spayed soon but now my brotehr has lost his job due to illness and he can't afford his house so we are low on money again, my mum has had to go into my vet fund to pay for food :( so the spays are waiting.
(EMERGENCY VET BILLS WILL BE PAYED FOR!!!)

Yeah its always the way isn't it? I feel horrible for Bella as her nails need clipping and thats about £8 and we can't even afford that as of yet :cry:

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 08:59 PM
also, rabbits are natural prey animals and don't really liekd being picked up :D some do but alot don't. so don't worry. as long as she trusts you enough to stroke her then i see no problem :D

Yeah she does, and thanks.

Becki xX
16-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah its always the way isn't it? I feel horrible for Bella as her nails need clipping and thats about £8 and we can't even afford that as of yet :cry:

Are her nails bad? X

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:16 PM
diana,i also had and still do have money trouble.you do wat you can,when you can.as for pickin bun up,thumper would rather stratch me too pieces than be picked up.he likes a stroke on his head but that is it.he is quite happy doing his own thing.dont worry too much if she doesnt like bein picked up.she she run about your room?perhaps try lying on the floor by her n she if shell come to you.x:D

Hello.

I let Bella have a little run around the bathroom as thats kind of a small room and my mum's bedroom and the landing. It was for about 5 minutes before Bella deciding she would just have a little wee right outside my bedroom door! I cleaned it up and it wasn't much so thats alright.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Some buns just don't like being picked up no matter how hard you try. I have had buns from birth and they still don't like being handled, so it might be something you just have to accept.

However, are you standing up when you pick her up? You could try picking her up when you are sitting on the floor to start with?

Yeah I'm kind of trying to not think about that part :roll:

Yeah I'm standing up but when my mum and sister pick her up, they stand up too.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Why not try sitting with her, ignoring her, let her come to you... Gradually she will probably get on yur lap (if you use treats), if you do this everyday, she will get used to being on you and you touching her...

Gradually, start to pick her up, a small bit at first, getting higher everytime...

PM me if you want anymore advice.:D

Ok I'll try that tomorrow, thanks!

I will PM for more advice if I need to, thanks again!

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:21 PM
It must be tough both for you and your mum at the moment :( but with such a high risk of uterine cancer in an unspayed doe, you would just end up paying out the money in the end when she inevitably got ill. Ring round some vets to see how much it costs and then put away a little bit whenever you can. She is very young yet and even if you only put away £2 a week you could *probably* afford it in around six months. good luck :wave:

Ok I'll do that, Thanks for the tip.

Jack-Bun
16-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Its better to sit down while yo pick her up. You cn put them on your knees and most of the time they will sit and be stroked...

BeckyLH
16-02-2008, 10:24 PM
My Walter loves to cuddle up with his chin on my knee, and sometimes jumps on for attention. He particularly likes my laptop keyboard :roll: but he's not mad keen on being picked up. He'll tolerate it but not for long. I think it's just how he is, he's the friendliest bun possible in every other way.

Becky x

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:27 PM
You can get nail clippers for about £2 so you can clip her nails so they're not so sharp, it's a bit tricky to get the hang of and you may need another person to hold her still, but it's definately worth it.

I've never actually seen a mother rabbit pick up her babies full stop, so don't ever pick them up by the scruff.

Cancer isn't contagious so she can't catch it from any other rabbit, she'll develop it on her own because of hormones. Same as in humans.

If you save up £2 a week if you can, then in 6 - 8 months you should be able to get her spayed. Rabbits can be spayed at any age.

Yeah but I read on the internet its best to get the vets to do it first then gradually do it on my own.

My brother picked Bella up by the scruff and Bella didn't scream or anything.

I'll do that but again, I read its best to get them spayed when their young so theres more of a chance of her surviving :cry:

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:29 PM
The cancer is caused by the flood of hormones within her when she is ready to breed. In a wild rabbit these would be reduced by pregnancy, which is why regularly bred rabbits are not affected in the same way. The excess hormones can make her very aggressive, fidgety, unfriendly and hard to handle - especially in spring.

Yeah, :roll: Ok thanks, I understand.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:33 PM
well in my opinion speyed/neutering your rabbit is a personal choice its not something that has to be done but the outcome is good :)

before Crystal was speyed a good 2 years ago lol she was litrally the rabbit from hell! seriously though i couldnt pick her up without being ripped to shreds she bit me grunted at me and even growled i wasnt going to get her speyed because i was scarred but one day my sister got fed up with Crystals behaviour and actually payed for her spey :shock: the change in Crystals behaviour after her spey didnt change over night but every month her behaviour got better and shes now a lovely little rabbit who ive now bonded with quite closely, before she was speyed i felt i didnt love her anymore but now i cant imagine life without her :love: it scares me now that the fact Crystal is nearly 3 that if she hadnt been speyed she could have been dying with cancer right now :cry:

since shes no where near other rabbits i wouldnt say that speying her is urgent i just want to point out a few facts that vets sometimes say that arent true so dont listen to any of them ;)

1) her bad behaviour is down to her wantng babies let her have a litter and the behaviour will get better- deffinatly untrue... i know this from experience with Crystal
2) having babies means that she wont get cancer- all rabbit have an 80-85% chance of getting cancer even those who have babies

good luck hun :)

Thanks for the reply. I read about them to facts on a website and a couple more. I definatly would like Bella to be spayed but whats the chance I'll lose her :cry: Aww, Crystal sounds like a cute bunny. I wish my brothers would pay for it or we had a money tree or whatever :roll:

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:41 PM
hi...

i would recommend you have your bun spayed, this will also stop her from getting a pyometra (infected womb) this can be fatal and is not very pretty, also cancer is a high risk in unneutered animals (this isnt caught off anything, its not contagious) cancer is a group of mutant cells that grow rapidly and can attack vital organs and is fatal to animals as in humans. your bun wouldn’t get it from anything else it just 'happens' just like humans there is no cure for this...... neutering her would reduce the chance of cancer.

She will be a much happier and healthier bun from having the op...

Hope this helps in your decision.

:D

xx

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting Bella spayed, its just the money problem :roll:

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Its a hard choice... but the positive outway the negatives.

i was so pleased that mine r spayed, but it is personal choice x

Yeah theres more positives that people are saying on RU and my mum won't stop giving me negatives :cry:

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe she's forgotten as it's a while ago. Bunnies only have those pointy teeth at the front and they can't open their mouths wide, not like dogs/cats with wide grins. That's why babies who fall out of the nest often die - the mum rabbit can't pick them up to put them back in.

Yeah thats exactly what I was just thinking. I can't ask my mum about it because she'll just start shouting at me :?

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:47 PM
i think it is definatly worth you ringing your local rspca animal home, they may give you a voucher to help pay for the spay. They are really good like that.
Actually mine are doing free neutering for all rabbits in my area at the moment but only if your family recieve benefits.
(just a thought, maybe they are all doing it now). Good luck, definatly ring them xx

I will consider doing that, Thanks Maisy.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:50 PM
By getting her speyed. Someone else said, If you saved £2 a week, you could have her done in no time at all :D

Think Jacks meaning in terms of handling etc. Personally, Unless you had to transport her somewhere, I'd leave her paws on the ground X

Bella is alright when the person handling her is confident. Its just me, the stupid one. And thanks for your reply.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Spaying is the only way really to prevent it. She's still young though so you don't need to rush to get her done, it's usually around 4-5 years old that they're most at risk, sometimes slightly younger. So just keep saving and don't worry.

Ok thanks, and sorry if I worry to much :roll:

Jazzy B Bunny
16-02-2008, 10:51 PM
My parents were a bit funny about vacinating and netuering aswell so I know what you mean my mum doesnt have anything to do with the rabbits a shes scared of them and b she thinks I spend far to much on vet bills £130 in 2 weeks :shock: but I know they are worth every penny I have. got to pay out another £30ish for their VHD jabs next week too.

You could try the RSPCA or PDSA or even to a few odd jobs to earn some money.

Good luck xxx

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Are her nails bad? X

Um, I would say they look like they need it, I'll maybe take a picture and show you soon.

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Its better to sit down while yo pick her up. You cn put them on your knees and most of the time they will sit and be stroked...

Yeah Bella likes that I think but she always looks for a way to escape :shock:

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:54 PM
My Walter loves to cuddle up with his chin on my knee, and sometimes jumps on for attention. He particularly likes my laptop keyboard :roll: but he's not mad keen on being picked up. He'll tolerate it but not for long. I think it's just how he is, he's the friendliest bun possible in every other way.

Becky x

Yeah I understand, everyone is basicly saying the same.

parsnipbun
16-02-2008, 10:55 PM
re 'how come rabbits without babies get cancer and humans don't' which someone asked on this thread:

actually humans that never have children have a MUCH higher risk of breast cancer because they too have the 'hormone surges' more frequently (not taking the 9mth/1yr 'time out on one or more occassions!).

This is now a recognised problem though I cannot recall what the actual statistics are it is a greatly increased risk - suffice it to say that if you have never had children get yourself a breast scan frequently after the age of 40!

So we are like buns really!

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:56 PM
My parents were a bit funny about vacinating and netuering aswell so I know what you mean my mum doesnt have anything to do with the rabbits a shes scared of them and b she thinks I spend far to much on vet bills £130 in 2 weeks :shock: but I know they are worth every penny I have. got to pay out another £30ish for their VHD jabs next week too.

You could try the RSPCA or PDSA or even to a few odd jobs to earn some money.

Good luck xxx

I've been trying to find odd jobs but I don't know where. There are quite a few shops down the road from us a bit but as I'm 13, I don't think they would want me to help out. We're asking the pet shop next week or whatever. Bella is worth everything I have, I know that :)

Jazzy B Bunny
16-02-2008, 10:57 PM
re 'how come rabbits without babies get cancer and humans don't' which someone asked on this thread:

actually humans that never have children have a MUCH higher risk of breast cancer because they too have the 'hormone surges' more frequently (not taking the 9mth/1yr 'time out on one or more occassions!).

This is now a recognised problem though I cannot recall what the actual statistics are it is a greatly increased risk - suffice it to say that if you have never had children get yourself a breast scan frequently after the age of 40!

Thats quite a scary thought :shock: ah well I got plenty of time til im 40 :p

x-baby-bella-x
16-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Yeah I understand, seems quite reasonable really, too.

kimd6200
17-02-2008, 09:09 AM
im on my third child so should hope im ok?:)

Beebop
17-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Really you need to see if the PDSA can help you and find out your local shelter, because what would happen if Bella became very ill? Please check out this link:
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/eligibility.html

My Fudge was spayed at 3, so long as the rabbit isn't overweight and theres a good vet doing the spay, the risks aren't very high, and the risk of cancer far outweighs the risk of death during the op. ;) So don't worry about getting her done before a year!;)

without_halo
17-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Regarding getting the nails clipped.

We asked our vets to show us how to do it and they showed us and then they stood over us when we done it so they could checl we were doing it correctly.

We now clip all of ours. It is definately a 2 person job.

x-baby-bella-x
17-02-2008, 01:57 PM
im on my third child so should hope im ok?:)

Aww, I love babies!!!

x-baby-bella-x
17-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Really you need to see if the PDSA can help you and find out your local shelter, because what would happen if Bella became very ill? Please check out this link:
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/eligibility.html

My Fudge was spayed at 3, so long as the rabbit isn't overweight and theres a good vet doing the spay, the risks aren't very high, and the risk of cancer far outweighs the risk of death during the op. ;) So don't worry about getting her done before a year!;)

I'm checking out that link, I know everything Bella needs :shock:

Ok but on a website a read it said something like, the sooner, the better.

x-baby-bella-x
17-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Regarding getting the nails clipped.

We asked our vets to show us how to do it and they showed us and then they stood over us when we done it so they could checl we were doing it correctly.

We now clip all of ours. It is definately a 2 person job.

Yeah when we go to the vets, I'm going to watch carefully and ask for tips, etc...

IzzyTwig
17-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Where abouts do you live as there might be someone on here local to you who could help with nail clipping so you don't have to pay for the vets to do it/show you. Just a suggestion, I know I'd be quite happy to do it if you're anywhere near me. I do it for my friend's piggies and they're in runcorn, an hour away from me!

sillyrabbit
17-02-2008, 05:17 PM
:wave:

Just try sitting with Bella and letting her get comfortable jumping about on you :D Buu hates being lifted and I hardly ever lift her up. This is how I carry her around in this basket :D

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/tripetybuu/Buu%20and%20Beau%20x%20x/DSC04768.jpg

It cost about £4 from B&Q and I brought some fleece blankets from the pound shop to put in the bottom :D Once she is in I just cover it with another blanket and carry her in that. I used to just pick her up and pop her in and before she even realised she had been lifted she was back down again :lol: Then I got a clicker from the pet shop for about £2 and clicker trained her to jump in and out by herself when I tell her, its so much easier than trying to carry her round and it works really well for her :D

As for spaying your in no rush so just start saving now :D Maybe tell your mum that you are going to start saving up for it and is there anything you can do around the house to earn an extra couple of pounds? Buu wasnt spayed until she was 2 and a half and she was fine :D Im not sure if its different there but here you cant start work until 15. Maybe your mum could ask the RSPCA what her options are and they might be able to help x

FriskyClover
17-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Smokey was about a year old when I got her spayed. She was nearly 6 months when I got her and I wanted to let her settle in properly before I got her done.

Inky is difficult to pick up too. He's very quick and will scratch (and bite) when picked up. I tend to either get him into a carrier if I'm going any distance with him. If it's just a quick pick up (like a bum check), I hold him so his back is against my chest, supporting his bum and holding his front paws. I also just put him down on th eground if he starts to struggle, it's not worth the scratches and possible damage he could do himself to hold on to him.

Missy
17-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi :wave:

Aww Hun I just want to give you a big hug for caring about your Bella so much.:)
Maybe it would be best if you could put a bit of money away each week then you've got it there for her spey and other things she may need, bunnies can be quite expensive especially if they get poorly.:?
Has Bella had her myxi & VHD vaccinations just with you saying she's a year old soon I'm guessing they'll be due again which is another expense. :(
It must be hard for you earning any money at 13, could you do any jobs for neighbours, cleaning cars, windows, shopping, dog walking etc
Then your mum can see your trying to help pay for Bella too.

I've had bunnies for years but when I recently got my Giant Jack I must admit I was a bit scared of picking him up to, he's so big ;) It's all a matter of confidence and using the right technique, most buns don't like being picked up usually they are either feisty or frozen because their scared so neithers a good option really.
Millie is very feisty so I only pick her up if I really need to. ;)

x-baby-bella-x
20-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Where abouts do you live as there might be someone on here local to you who could help with nail clipping so you don't have to pay for the vets to do it/show you. Just a suggestion, I know I'd be quite happy to do it if you're anywhere near me. I do it for my friend's piggies and they're in runcorn, an hour away from me!

I live in Nottingham, England. Does this help at all :roll:

x-baby-bella-x
20-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Just try sitting with Bella and letting her get comfortable jumping about on you :D Buu hates being lifted and I hardly ever lift her up. This is how I carry her around in this basket :D

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/tripetybuu/Buu%20and%20Beau%20x%20x/DSC04768.jpg

It cost about £4 from B&Q and I brought some fleece blankets from the pound shop to put in the bottom :D Once she is in I just cover it with another blanket and carry her in that. I used to just pick her up and pop her in and before she even realised she had been lifted she was back down again :lol: Then I got a clicker from the pet shop for about £2 and clicker trained her to jump in and out by herself when I tell her, its so much easier than trying to carry her round and it works really well for her :D

As for spaying your in no rush so just start saving now :D Maybe tell your mum that you are going to start saving up for it and is there anything you can do around the house to earn an extra couple of pounds? Buu wasnt spayed until she was 2 and a half and she was fine :D Im not sure if its different there but here you cant start work until 15. Maybe your mum could ask the RSPCA what her options are and they might be able to help x

I would love to let Bella jump around sitting on me but her nails hurt my legs, I think I might try it when we have got her nails done. Arn't you a little bit worried about Buu ever trying to jump out of that basket? I know I would be worried to do that, or it might just be me worrying to much, as usual :roll: Yeah I could like do the hovering and washing up and things like that around the house, but then I feel cruel for taking mum's money like that. You can't work until you at a minimum age of 14, here.

x-baby-bella-x
20-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Smokey was about a year old when I got her spayed. She was nearly 6 months when I got her and I wanted to let her settle in properly before I got her done.

Inky is difficult to pick up too. He's very quick and will scratch (and bite) when picked up. I tend to either get him into a carrier if I'm going any distance with him. If it's just a quick pick up (like a bum check), I hold him so his back is against my chest, supporting his bum and holding his front paws. I also just put him down on th eground if he starts to struggle, it's not worth the scratches and possible damage he could do himself to hold on to him.

Their names are so cute! Bella would scratch, no doubt. If you lifted Bella of the table and not got control of her legs, thats the point where she would wriggle as much as she can till you put her down again. I try and do the same as you where you put him against your chest. Bella lets you for about 5-9 seconds then she'll turn her head and try to get away asap. Yeah, thats exactly what I think.

x-baby-bella-x
20-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi :wave:

Aww Hun I just want to give you a big hug for caring about your Bella so much.:)
Maybe it would be best if you could put a bit of money away each week then you've got it there for her spey and other things she may need, bunnies can be quite expensive especially if they get poorly.:?
Has Bella had her myxi & VHD vaccinations just with you saying she's a year old soon I'm guessing they'll be due again which is another expense. :(
It must be hard for you earning any money at 13, could you do any jobs for neighbours, cleaning cars, windows, shopping, dog walking etc
Then your mum can see your trying to help pay for Bella too.

I've had bunnies for years but when I recently got my Giant Jack I must admit I was a bit scared of picking him up to, he's so big ;) It's all a matter of confidence and using the right technique, most buns don't like being picked up usually they are either feisty or frozen because their scared so neithers a good option really.
Millie is very feisty so I only pick her up if I really need to. ;)

Hehe, thanks *pixel hugs*.
We take care of Bella's expenses as they come along, including if she got poorly with she hasn't as of yet. She hasn't had her vaccinations this year yet but she had her first ones last year. I asked my mum about when would she be needing her next ones and she said she's sure the vets will be sending out a reminder when their coming up. But I'm not sure to be honest.

I'm not really sure if our neighbours needed anything doing like that either :? I think Giants are ever so cute :lol: I'm sure you manage with Millie and Jack, more then I do with my Bella :cry:

sillyrabbit
21-03-2008, 12:49 AM
I would love to let Bella jump around sitting on me but her nails hurt my legs, I think I might try it when we have got her nails done. Arn't you a little bit worried about Buu ever trying to jump out of that basket? I know I would be worried to do that, or it might just be me worrying to much, as usual :roll: Yeah I could like do the hovering and washing up and things like that around the house, but then I feel cruel for taking mum's money like that. You can't work until you at a minimum age of 14, here.

:wave: I let her play in the basket whenever she likes so she is comfortable in there, if I am going to lift her then I cover the top of the basket with another blanket :) She has never tried jumping out :) This is only for carrying her around the house though or in the garden to move her from her run, if I was leaving the house with her to go to the vets or something then she goes in her secure carrier which she cannot jump out of x

x-baby-bella-x
23-03-2008, 03:41 PM
:wave: I let her play in the basket whenever she likes so she is comfortable in there, if I am going to lift her then I cover the top of the basket with another blanket :) She has never tried jumping out :) This is only for carrying her around the house though or in the garden to move her from her run, if I was leaving the house with her to go to the vets or something then she goes in her secure carrier which she cannot jump out of x

When you say you let Buu play in the basket, what exactly does she do in there? I thought you might of but a blanket over her, I was just checking. I might do that actually when we get a run. When we take Bella do the vets its always in a secure carrier, too. I'm not sure when Bella has to have her next vaccinations either :roll: