• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it nessersary?

Hello.

I think I may be a very bad bunny mummy by thinking this but is it really nessersary to get Bella spayed? People say they live for a bit longer and behave better but I'm not sure. My mum, my sister and me thought if we keep Bella away from any other rabbits there won't be any possible way that Bella could have more bunnies. We're not exactly going to put her in with a male rabbit when not nessersary etc...or are we just being selfish to Bella?

I'm also having a few handling problems. My confidence has gone completly, and when I go to try Bella jumps away and scratches me. I've had Bella now almost 1 year and I've still not come to handling her correctly. Does that mean I'm a very terrible person and shouldn't be a bunny mummy? I've been looking up on the internet tips on how to handle her but when I try it all it doesn't work! Bella either jumps away from me and scratches me or I lose all confidence in doing it. If I do manage to pick her up, it would only be for about 5 to 10 seconds before she would start to wriggle and kick me. Even them I have to put something against the wall to distract her then I go to try. Sometimes she realises what I'm going to do and jumps away anyway!

You know how sometimes people say if you pick them up by the scruff of their neck it might be better, well I cannot do that. I think I'm hurting her and when I go to try it I'm sure I'm doing it in the wrong place and pinching her or something thats hurting her! That proves I'm a terrible bunny mummy! :cry:

Operation to eradicate 85% of death by cancer? Yes, I know that I'd go for spaying on those odds!

Operation to eradicate 85% of death by cancer? Yes, I know that I'd go for spaying on those odds!

I really want to get Bella spayed, don't get me wrong, but my mum is having some debt problems and I really would like Bella to get done before she's 1 year old and thats on May 6th. :cry:

Hello.

I'm also having a few handling problems. My confidence has gone completly, and when I go to try Bella jumps away and scratches me. I've had Bella now almost 1 year and I've still not come to handling her correctly. Does that mean I'm a very terrible person and shouldn't be a bunny mummy? I've been looking up on the internet tips on how to handle her but when I try it all it doesn't work! Bella either jumps away from me and scratches me or I lose all confidence in doing it. If I do manage to pick her up, it would only be for about 5 to 10 seconds before she would start to wriggle and kick me. Even them I have to put something against the wall to distract her then I go to try. Sometimes she realises what I'm going to do and jumps away anyway!

You know how sometimes people say if you pick them up by the scruff of their neck it might be better, well I cannot do that. I think I'm hurting her and when I go to try it I'm sure I'm doing it in the wrong place and pinching her or something thats hurting her! That proves I'm a terrible bunny mummy!
:cry:

I know what you mean, mine hate to be picked up. I cannot pick them up by their scruff, and I get all funny when they do it at the vets. But my buns prefer to be carried around in a bucket :shock: then to be picked up!

I know I may sound really strange- Lol- but they dont mind being moved around in a bucket. :oops:

I don't think your a bad bunny mummy if your considering not getting her spayed i totally understand why you don't want to do it and if she won't be near any boy bunnies you have not got to worry about babies i understand about the cancer and everything but i think it is up to you

right well...when you say she is scratching you etc, thats her hormones. One of my buns, Jelly, always scratchd and bit, now she has been spayed she is very docile. she still isnt keen on being picked up but shes nothing like she was...so from the sounds of it...Bella needs to be spayed. You will find she is more docile, therefore easier to make friends with her.

Secondly, never try to pick he rup by the scruff! You could really hurt her and she wont thank you for it! Try sitting with her, but ignore her. With my foster bun, i would sit cross legged nar him, pop some treats on my lap, read a magazine and let him come to me. when he did, i ignored him still, i let him take the food without me 'noticing', gradually i would move my hand closer, then enough to stroke him etc and he became so friendly.

also, yous ay ' bit longer' theres i think an 80% chance she could get unterine cancer by the time shes four, where as if you get her spayed she could live up to and possibly over ten years.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I know what you mean, mine hate to be picked up. I cannot pick them up by their scruff, and I get all funny when they do it at the vets. But my buns prefer to be carried around in a bucket :shock: then to be picked up!

I know I may sound really strange- Lol- but they dont mind being moved around in a bucket. :oops:

i put jelly in a huge washing basket to carry her to the run! she prefers that that no be picked up!lol so i know what you mean

your not being a bad bunny mummy.....

as far as picking up Bella goes they SOOOO know when you are not 100% confident!!! I have been having the same problem with Dexter, the rescue i got in on Tuesday - he is so thin and covered in infected bite wounds that i was worried about hurthing him and he totally knew i wasnt sure of myself!

Now with Dexter i put a blanket/towel over his body (not his head!) and scoop him up - he knows that it means medicine time, but the blanket seems to calm him and stops him being able to scratch or kick :roll:

Hiya,

There is no age limit for spaying :) A year old is quite young still. If it's something you want to do but can't afford my suggest would be to save gradually so put a few pounds away each week and then get it done in six months or so.

I think a bun will notice if your not confident and play up. You need to take things slow and build up both your confidences. For now try using a cat carrier when you need to move her about and go back to basics just spending time on the floor with her. Get her used to having you stroke and touch her before you try advanced stuff like picking her up :) Do you know someone with a confident rabbit you can practice on?

Tamsin

I know that money can be difficult - especially if its a matter of trying to get someone else to spend it who doesn't really have a lot - but it really IS important that she is spayed:

If she is not spayed there is a VERY high risk of her having cancer of the womb before she is even 4 years old - up to 85% die of this. And thats like a person dying at age 30 really.

And not only will that be very sad for both you and her, but she may be very ill and in pain with the cancer for months before she dies of it, and then you will not only feel very bad and sad but also it will cost lots and lots of money to try and keep her pain free and maybe operate to try and rid her of the cancer. This will cost hundreds of pounds.

Also her scratching will probably improve a lot if she is neutered - as at the moment she is very hormonal and must have pretend pregnancies and feel like biting and scratching lots to keep people away from nests that she builds in the hay.

If she is neutered she will settle down and be much more friendly and handleable.

Find a good rabbit vet that has a very low rate of problems with neutering and does LOTS of them (ask them about this); then ask for an exact price with all the pain medications etc so you know exactly what you need, You could also ask if the local RSPCA would help -sometimes they can give you a voucher to help with neutering. The vet might even know about this - but if not phone the local RSPCA (in the phone book or on-line contact details) and check.

Good Luck!

She can be spayed at anytime so just start saving up. You will also be able to adopt her a (neutered) husbun from a rescue, you will notice such a difference in her when she has a mate, a bun to groom and snuggle with.

Phone round the vets in your area you will be amazed at the difference in price.

All my buns, male and female have been spade/neutered and live in male/female pairs and are all happy healthy buns. Go for it :thumb:

Rabswood

Mine were at least 18 months old when I got them and had them spayed. Just save up and get her done when you can.

Yeah I go all funny too because it seems like its hurting them but thats how their mothers carry them, right?

I don't think your a bad bunny mummy if your considering not getting her spayed i totally understand why you don't want to do it and if she won't be near any boy bunnies you have not got to worry about babies i understand about the cancer and everything but i think it is up to you

Is there any possible way I could stop her getting cancer and how could she get it if she's on her own? :roll:

Yeah I go all funny too because it seems like its hurting them but thats how their mothers carry them, right?

I don't think mother rabbits pick their babies up by the scruff. :) If you think about how rabbits teeth are it would not really be possible I don't think.

awww hun i cant pick up Alvin, he beats me up when i try to brush him too... they do sense our lack of confidence and that i think fears them into fight mode.... ste on the otherhand wont bend to Alvins will and successfully manages to handle him even with all the fighting...

unfortunatley for pearl she is my practice bun as shes so peaceful and i find picking her up a dream she also loves fuss.. i guess some bunnies just like to be a free spirit.. i try not to feel bad i cant handle Alvin cus hes a happy little monster and thats all that matters really :)

right well...when you say she is scratching you etc, thats her hormones. One of my buns, Jelly, always scratchd and bit, now she has been spayed she is very docile. she still isnt keen on being picked up but shes nothing like she was...so from the sounds of it...Bella needs to be spayed. You will find she is more docile, therefore easier to make friends with her.

Secondly, never try to pick he rup by the scruff! You could really hurt her and she wont thank you for it! Try sitting with her, but ignore her. With my foster bun, i would sit cross legged near him, pop some treats on my lap, read a magazine and let him come to me. when he did, i ignored him still, i let him take the food without me 'noticing', gradually i would move my hand closer, then enough to stroke him etc and he became so friendly.

also, you say ' bit longer' theres i think an 80% chance she could get unterine cancer by the time shes four, where as if you get her spayed she could live up to and possibly over ten years.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't mean scratching as Bella meaning to do it, I mean like as her nails as a bit long and need clipping, they catch me and scratch me.

Isn't that how their mother picks them up, by the scruff?

When you say uterine cancer, what exactly do you mean as Bella isn't going near any other rabbits that could have cancer which Bella could catch?

Thanks.

Is there any possible way I could stop her getting cancer and how could she get it if she's on her own? :roll:

i had that explained to me when i asked about it...i couldnt understand why buns get cancer if they dont have babies but us humans dont..

they dont have breed cycles like us, their always on hormones is what causes the cancer, even if theyve had babies :shock::shock:

it really seems like nature is pretty anti bunnies huh :(

Back