• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snorts/snuffle noises - rung vets

greengirlie

Young Bun
am waiting to hear back as been looking on net for what it means and one site said about pnuemonia / upper respitory prob or somehting along those lines!! :shock: dotty has been making these noises but cant remember how long for, certainly not when i had her (nov 07) she been eating with gusto as normal and running around and being mischevious so no behaviour difference but it sounds like she is snorting or snoring - that kind of noise...
does anyone elses do that?? is it normal??

Well Pneumonia is a lower respiratory infection, meaning its on the chest/in the lungs. Snuffles/Pasteurella is an upper respiratory tract infection.

Snuffles can lead to Pneumonia if untreated.

Dotty's symptoms sound the same as those my rabbit Smokey has. She makes the most awful noises, but seems fine in herself. Does the snuffling get worse when she eats?

Smokey was diagnosed with lung congestion (probably caused by Pasteurella). An antibiotic called Ronaxon (sp?) cleared up Smokey's breathing, but she gets bouts of congestion from time to time.

Amy

she only makes these noises when she eats or if i pick her up, louder when eats and when i hold not s much but still can hear it... she runs round and doesnt seem to make the noise unless she playing with harry and occasionally does it.

actually she doesnt do it when she eats hay - not that i have noticed its when im giving pellets or veg etc... could it be excitement or something noise she makes..... *fingers crossd* seeing vets tomo to get her checked out!!

:roll:

The vet will be able to check her breathing with a sethoscope, and *might* also need to do x-rays to check her lung capacity.

She doesn't sound quite as bad as Smokey, so hopefully she'll be OK :D

thankyou! just been on phone panicing to my boyf!! am hoping its just some ind of random noise she makes nad not something bad!
lost oscar in sept and was gutted! he just collapsed and made me realise how fragile they are, but got my new ones in nov from a resuce as missed having rabbits. but just worry all the time!! dotty also had her teeth filed in first week of jan 08 and am hoping its not related and nothing nasty...

:(

Back