• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust after spey

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
Hi all,
How soon after getting a bunny speyed can they have sawdust put back into their cage? Flo was speyed on Monday, and her wound seems to be healing fine for the moment so would like to put sawdust back in her cage so we can all get back to normal.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks x.

I would give it until Monday at the earliest so that's a full 7 days. Sawdust isn't a very good bedding for rabbits as it can cause respiratory problems.

Hi there, I agree, I wouldn't use it. I'd take this opportunity to change from sawdust as your bedding.

As it has very small particles it can get in the eyes, nose and mouth causing problems as with hay dust. Like shavings, it's untreated too so when a rabbit wees on it, it mixes with the phenols in the wood causing it to be quite acidic. In some cases it can cause sore skin and also respiratory problems.

If you can, I would change to Megazorb, Carefresh, or simple newspaper and hay.

Hope your bunny is recovering well.

I believe that sawdust is also linked to liver problems in rabbits - something to do with them inhaling the fumes/smell that comes off sawdust.
I'd also take the opportunity to change your bunnies bedding to something else:D

You'd have to be careful with any litters that might expand when they are wet. I use compressed wood pellet cat litter for my cat, but seeing how it expands when she wees on it in order to absorb the fluid, I would never give it to the rabbits in case they ate it. If it expanded in their guts it would cause major problems. Same goes with other clumping cat litters.

Back