• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange rabbit breeds

Denny

Mama Doe
Just had a look at the local bargain pages and this week we have for sale Tiger head rabbits:lol::lol::lol: is this a new breed:lol::lol: are lionheads now extinct:lol::lol:

Anyone else had people tell them an unusal breed of rabbit?:lol::lol:

German agnora
rapscallianthumb.jpg

Astrex
keeper01BIG.jpg

Pearlfre
d6f9.jpg

And my favorite Rare rabbit (its a cross of a English Lop so its my favorite by defualt)...
Velveteen Lop
b4db.jpg

A Netherland Dutch and also a Harlequin which was apparently a Dutch because the pet shop said so :roll:

Those breeds Agutilover showed are of real-life rabbits though, but as a Norwegian so-called rabbit-expert I can assure you there is no such thing as a Norwegian Dwarf:roll: I only know of one breed that is certainly 100% Norwegian and that is definitely not a dwarf! :lol: (It's a large breed, bred for meat... Its called the Trønder and I'm not sure if its recognized outside Scandinavia...)

I keep hearing about Indian Lop Dwarves though....I have no idea what that is but I think I heard somewhere they're really lionlops, the name showed up just before the Lionlop became a recongized breed in Norway.

How exactly do those "tiger heads" look like? Rabbits without a mane? :lol: (Which could pretty much mean ANY rabbit apart from lionheads and lionlops)

I got the shock of my life as I looked in a rabbit book one day though... They talked about a small rabbit breed that only got about 1 kilos which could fit well for people who wanted small pets, sure enough the picture was of a Siamese-colored netherland dwarf...however they had translated it to Dutch!
Last time I checked Dutch don't come in Siamese (not without the white areas at least) and they're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY heavier than 1 kilo:lol: Heck even most pet shop Nethies get over 1 kilos:roll: Zakura's father was 1.9...

Not to my knowledge have I ever heard of a the Dwarf Indian Lop or the Tigerheads....But I have heard of somthing similar it, a breed called:

Baby Boi Minx:lol:

Last edited:
The first vet I saw with Buu when she was just a baby told me she was a little rabbit with lovely grey fur when I asked what breed she was :roll: :lol: Of course she was little she was 10 weeks old :shock: :lol: He didnt even try and make up a breed he just didnt know :lol:

LOL!!! Your rabbit does look like one of the rarest Lop colors Dutch. Your breed is as you Englsh call it a Greman Lop (or as the US calls it the Mini Lop)
I havent seen a Dutch Lop in an AGE!!!cool!

I think Jane has coined the best term...
'Soona'

I'm thinking of changing all my buns breeds to that on their vacc certificates. At the moment the vets has 2 brothers down as 'choc point lionhead cross' and a 'himalyon'. Gotta love receptionists. :-D

I think Jane has coined the best term...
'Soona'

I'm thinking of changing all my buns breeds to that on their vacc certificates. At the moment the vets has 2 brothers down as 'choc point lionhead cross' and a 'himalyon'. Gotta love receptionists. :-D

It's even weirder taking a rat to a Norwegian vet sometimes:lol:
I've heard stories from rat owners that have had their pets classified as either hooded, dumbo or mix breed:roll: Once I found a litter in a pet shop classified as Dumbo hooded-mix :lol: Although these aren't breeds, dumbo refers to the shape of the ears and hooded is a marking, it's like calling a black lop dwarf a mix of black and lop dwarf:lol:

I got into a disagreement with someone who insisted that Norweigen Dwarfs EXISTED online once, I knew there wasn't, and would they listen, no :roll: It makes me frusterated :oops:

I can pretty much count the dwarf breeds we have in Norway on my fingers.
Even looking at the breed-list right now I can only find Hermelin (Netherland Dwarf), Dvergvedder (Lop dwarf), Løvehode (Lionhead) and Dverghare (Polish).
I also know of Lionlop which was recently approved and minirex which is still and unrecognized breed.
And if its not on the Norwegian Rabbitbreeding association's website its a fake, unless we don't know our own breeds. :roll:

Back