• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diabetic Rabbit

What are his symptoms? Diabetes is very very rare in rabbits and they cannot be treated in the way people/cats/dogs can as they dont utilise insulin.

I took him in this morning as he was rolling around and not eating. The vet said his teeth were a bit pointy so wanted to clip them and he said he will take bloods to see if anything was up with his belly. The nurse just called to say that his glucose level was really high so may be diabetic and they were sending bloods to the lab for a definite result. I am really scared now :(

Also called the vet as it is freaking me out. And have been told that until the results come back it cannot be confirmed, but they said the levels were so high they don't think it can be linked to anything like pain or stress, and that once the lab let them know they can go from there. I'm really worried though :(

If it IS diabetes then its nothing you have done. Has he been drinking or urinating a lot? :?

He drinks a lot, when I take warm water to them, but they both do, maybe him a little more than her though. Between them they get through about half a bowl a day.
Half a bowl as in one of the brown ceramic Rabbit bowls.

Last edited:
Found this info about raised glucose levels in rabbit blood tests:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...1&md5=318c6b032ab33bd9bc18a4c68b0eaa60#sec7.7

In case the link isn't working, here is the relevant section....

Glucose
Glucose metabolism in rabbits is different from dogs or cats. Not only do rabbits eat continuously during the day, but they also use volatile fatty acids produced by cecal flora as a primary energy source. A fasting blood sample is impossible to obtain because rabbits ingest fecal pellets. A rabbit that is not given food can continue to ingest cecotrophs. It has been shown that 4 days of starvation does not reduce blood glucose levels in rabbits.

Diabetes mellitus is rare in rabbits, although hyperglycemia is a common finding and may be associated with glucosuria. Reports of confirmed diabetes mellitus are from laboratory strains bred as a model for human diabetes. Clinical signs commonly observed in pet rabbits with diabetes mellitus are polyphagia, polyuria, polydipsia, very high blood glucose levels (>500 mg/dL), and glycosuria with significantly elevated glycosylated hemoglobin and raised triglycerides; however, obesity and ketoacidosis are not observed. In clinical practice, most cases of hyperglycemia are due to stress (e.g., transport, handling, venipuncture, underlying disease). A marked hyperglycemia (around 350 mg/dL) is reported in cases of acute intestinal blockage by a foreign body. Early mucoid enteropathy may be associated with hyperglycemia. In rabbits with GI stasis, hyperglycemia carries a bad prognosis because it may indicate hepatic lipidosis. Other causes of raised serum glucose levels are traumatic or hypovolemic shock and hyperthermia. Acute pancreatitis could cause blood glucose abnormalities, even though the role of the pancreas in glucose metabolism in rabbits is less important than in other species. Glucocorticoids and other drugs can raise blood glucose. Hyperadrenocorticism has not been described in rabbits.

Hypoglycemia is an important finding. In anorexic patients, it indicates that the rabbit is using adipose tissue and is at risk of developing hepatic lipidosis. Hypoglycemia may occur in terminal mucoid enteropathy, liver failure, or other chronic diseases. Rabbits with acute sepsis may be hypoglycemic too. Insulinoma has not been described in rabbits. Reference levels for glucose can be found in Table 1

Table 1:

Biochemical Reference Ranges AST (IU/L) 35-130
ALT (IU/L) 45-80
ALP (IU/L) 12-96
CPK (IU/L) 140-372
GGT (IU/L) 0-7.0
T. BIL (mg/dL) 0-0.7
Bile acids (mMol/L) <40
Amylase (U/L) 200-400
Cholesterol (mg/dL) 10-80
Urea (mg/dL) 20-45
CREA (mg/dL) 0.5-2.5
Ca (mg/dL) 11-14
Phos (mg/dL) 4.0-6.5
Na (mEq/L) 138-150
K (mEq/L) 3.5-6.9
Glucose (mg/dL) 75-155
Total protein (g/dL) 5.4-7.5
Albumin (g/dL) 2.7-5.0
Globulin (g/dL) 1.5-2.7 .

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I do not know what the reading is as they have sent it off to get a definite result.

How can I ask the vet about these things without sounding like I am telling him his job? My vets study small animals which is a plus and he always does seem to know what he is talking about. I will speak with him later and see what he says. maybe print that out.

Back