• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits - can you introduce more?

Turbobek

Young Bun
Hi, I have two lionheads (Charity & George) these have been living together for 15 months now, i had george first and then decided to get him a wife!
I have just moved into a new house and have more room and the desire to have more buns (i have spotted two from here that are in dire need of a home) they are lop eared male and female, neutered etc.

Is it possible to introduce 2 new bonded buns to my already 2 bonded house buns? I was thinking of moving them into the shed in the summer as they have the run of the conservatory at the moment?

Any thoughts would be great, dont want to make life harder for the rescue buns!

Thanks

Becky, George & Charity!

Well we've just successfully introduced two solo, female buns (Trix and Sienna) to our bonded male-female pair (Ant and Hoops). Takes work and patience but can be done!

how would you advise that this is done as i am leicester and the rabbits are about 100 miles away! I would try them together but if they dont work i could have them seperate but they would have to be out door buns, which i am sure would not be a problem?

how did you intorduce yours? I looked afte rmy brothers male rabbit last year but he was un neutered and george kept headbutting the cage, thats initally why i am so worried and causious (SP!)

thanks

beck

You might be able to ask the rescue where you are getting the two new bonded ones from to do the bonding - thats usually very succesful :D

George was probably headbutting the cage because the other bun wasnt neutered and hormones would have been ablaze! if both of yours, and other couple are all neutered and spayed then you have a better chance of bonding them.

Bonding should be done on total neutral territory - which is why its good to have them bonded somewhere else :D

Hope this helps a little

We introduced all of ours in our bathroom, which was neutral territory for them all ... under the watchful eye of a friend and experienced bunny bonder!

Why don't you look for rescue buns a little closer to home, with a view to the rescue helping with bonding if you're a little anxious? Have you ever spoken to Honeybunny (Jill)? We have two bunnies that came from her and she's in Leicester like you. Might be worth PM'ing her?

My other bun (Charity) came from her, she helped with bonding and now they are both inseperable, the female bun has really come out of her shell as well and thats whats sort of inspired me to help more buns. I have also just noticed that the two i had my eye on (Tango and sprite) have been reserved, my fault for not acting quicker!

Back