• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunny AGAIN :(

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
Hey Guys,

I have a bunny who last week had a poorly belly. I took him to the Vet Saturday morning who gave him a metacopromied (sp?) injection and some fiberplex. I kept the fibreplex up until Monday and he seemed to pick up and has been fine all week. But he is the same again this morning. He eats some pellets but then leaves them (which is unlike him!) Then he will stretch out or roll around on his back like a cat does. He just did it and fell down his ramp :shock:, but I picked him up and he seems ok. Is this unusual to have two spats of it so close together? :? I am really worried. I am waiting for vets to open but if you have any ideas I would welcome them as its really stressing me out. I don't understand :cry:

Personally, I wouldn't say it's that uncommon to have bouts of GI Stasis close together. A couple of years ago, my lot had obviously eaten something they shouldn't in the run and it took about a week of fairly intensive nursing to get them back to normal. One would pick up slightly and then go back downhill again, in the end I asked for antibiotic injections to be given and along with painkillers and gut motility drugs, these seemed to clear the problem up.

Is there anything that has changed in his environment? Anything that he could be eating that he shouldn't in the run? Have you changed anything that he is eating?

In the meantime, I'd keep him warm and take him to the vets, it may be worth collecting a sample of his poo to take with you.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

He has been in his hutch for a few weeks (its a big one so loads of room) so I know he hasn't had anything out of the ordinary. Nothing has changed apart from cutting them down on pellets. They have more Timothy hay than normal and have a load of fresh meadow hay. They have spring greens most days and apple one a week, although they haven't had much this week as vet advised no greens for a few days. I kept him off the pellets over the weekend and he started eating normally this week although less than normal. I have just never seen him rolling on his back apart from last Saturday.
Just bothering me. Going to the vets in a bit.

Have they been getting much exercise?

I just ask because with my lot, they seem to be more prone to stasis if they don't get enough exercise.

Took him to vet and he isn't sure whats going on with his belly so I had to leave him there to do some bloods. Also his teeth are a bit sharp he said so they are going to clip them. :'(

Just a Question, if his teeth were too bad could his stomach issue be caused by bolting food at all? If it hurt to chew he may not have been chewing enough and swallowing? Now sure

Last edited:
Back