• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adoption fee

In the last year I've happily paid £35 for a castrated and vacc'd buck and £45 for a spayed and vacc'd doe. I understand that this is simply to cover vet costs and am happy to give the required donation and more.

Last edited:
I just got Bluebell from ARC .... I was told a fee and gave a bit more, just in case. Now I'm worried it wasn't enough!

How well to you promote what this covers? For example people will happily pay more for something if they think they're getting a good deal.

If they see you charge £40 for a rabbit but the local petshop charges £15 that's a big difference. However, if you advertise as £40 including free neutering and vaccinations worth £75. It sounds like a great deal :D So where/when ever you mention cost make sure you explain what's included in the cost.

Tamsin

I got my bunny from Hula animal rescue and they charge £15, but i was more than happy to cover the cost of having him neutered for me before i bought him home...the total was £45.:D

i think i paid £60 for pearl, there was £10 deposit and when i handed over the rest when i collected her i felt bad it was so little it was a skint month tho just after xmas (hopper haven ask for a tiny £40!!) and i felt even worse when Lou sent me home with a tube of panacur too :oops::oops::oops:

my only redeeming feeling is i help pay for Loki's medication each month (my sponser bunny)

I agree with Tamsin there - cos I know the cost of neutering and vaccinating, so know that taking on a rescue bun actually works out cheaper than having a pet shop bun ... plus it gives a home to one of the thousands of poor bunnies in need.

Thanks for that,
The charity doesn't pay for the vacs, but we have just put the price up as the original price didn't even cover a spay never mind food etc

two years ago i paid £45 for Bif..she had been speyed..vaccinated agaisnt myxi and vhd and had a full check up.

my mum was horrified and i laughed saying that was a bargain...and i stand by it..too..best £45 i ever spent..my Bif :love:

bandit wasnt neutered..hed had his myxi but not his vhd..if im wrong sue..i aplogise..honest!! he had to be neutered as his bits were soo huge he couldnt wash his bum and he got suishy poo all over him several times a day.

people always expect more for their money....to be honest speying and neutering is more important than the jabs...the new owners can go get the jabs done but might be tempted to let bunny have just one lot of babies and then another and another etc.
but myxi jab is something thats needed the most.

Local pet store is chargin at least £25 a rabbit and no bag of food to help wean across......no advice on changing the food over..no advice whatsoever..no one to ring for advice if they think the buns not doing well and ant reassurance....

im sorry but the rescue bun is cheap at any price..its a bun whose got a second chance and you have come into each others for the better:)
i wouldnt ask the petshop if bunnys poos were round or not!!

an aftercare printout as i wasnt prepared for the special needs of a timid rescue bun when i got bif..but when i got bandit from southapmpton rabbit rescue i got so much info and support..and even some meds!! for my bif and for bandit in advnace in case..as he stopped eating at his last rehome and has a terirble tummy like bif used to have.
well sue:):wave: hes doing great....and i have you to thank for the time you took to speak to me and for andreas time too and her bringing him over to us and seeing first hand his life ahead.

the advantage with a rescue bun is you get to kinda see the perosna of the bun or at least foster mummys might..pet shop buns have no persona..they are blank almost.

maybe you should put out a leaflet or on a website related to your rescue and put in the prices of jabs....neutering speying etc....the risks of changing food over fast in buns as pet shops usually do and never warn a novice owner.

put how much hay costs etc on the bit as well and compare how much you see pet store buns with!!
should open a few eyes i hope.

I think the adoption fee for Dolly was £32 (but it was a few year back), she was spayed but not vaccinated!

Adoption fees are certainly "cheaper" than buying from a pet shop! Getting Barley to a neutered and vaccinated stage cost in the region of £150! Makes you realise how much you "should" give as a donation even if you follow on at a later stage!

Hannah

we charge £25 ....but many people leave more .

ALL our buns are vet checked , neutered/spayed and wormed.

we dont vaccinate bur advise new owners to do so.

How well to you promote what this covers? For example people will happily pay more for something if they think they're getting a good deal.

If they see you charge £40 for a rabbit but the local petshop charges £15 that's a big difference. However, if you advertise as £40 including free neutering and vaccinations worth £75. It sounds like a great deal :D So where/when ever you mention cost make sure you explain what's included in the cost.

Tamsin

This is an excellent point. I have always stated that what the animals have had done and this def makes people more happy to pay the adoption fee. I didn't have a set fee, I would gauge it on what the current vets fees were and what had been done for the particular animal. So if I had to fully vacc and neutered I would ask for around £40 but if they were already neutered and uptodate I would just say give a donation and most of the time I would still get around £20 - £25.

We ask £40 for a neutered rabbit that's had both myxi and VHD jabs. Less if it hasn't been with us long enough to have had both vaccines.
We also send home a bag of food so new owners can wean onto whatever they choose to feed.
More inportantly we give lifelong backup. We are always there with advise and to help with any problems. Pet shops don't offer this.

One of the petshops I worked at charged £40 for their rabbits - unneutered, unvaccinated, no lifetime support etc and overpriced hutches and supplies..yet still managed to sell loads of them :roll:

my rescue bun from the rspca was £10 - he was neutured and had all jabs

my recent rescue bun was £25 - she was spayed and had all jabs

in comparisom - my frenchie boys cost me £35 each from a 'breeder' - i bought them as girls and they both turned out to be boys. one turned out to have severe malacclusion (badly growing teeth) - due probably to bad breeding. had his teeth trimmed twice, (£10 a go) and then had them removed under GA whilst he was being neutured - cost of £75. one of my boys died under the GA for his neutur - NO COMPARISON REALLY!

At SPCA locally, which is run by the govt., for $40 or so, I get my first bun, on that same invoice, adopt a 2nd bun is $35 or so.

All rabbits leaving SPCA are all spay/neutered, a surgery worth $200

We ask £30, that always covers a neuter, worming and rear guard in warmer weather. We provide food to the new owners but we buy that in bulk so the cost is neglegable in the scheme of things.

Some of our rabbits need to be vaccinated for their own safety, though we cannot do this as routine as it costs an additional £30 per rabbit. We do not charge extra for this.

Pet shops round Hertfordshire charge £30.00 - £45.00 for a rabbit with no vacs, no health checks and no neutering. I think your buns are very reasonable especially when considering all the love and medical attention they get.

There is a place in Crewes Hill, Enfield that I keep complaining to the RSPCA about and they charge £55 for domestic cross wild rabbits!

xxx

Back