• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions about leaving bunny when on holiday..

loothi

New Kit
Hi there,

I am off for a month in April and have to find somewhere for my house rabbit to stay during that time. I have found a small animal hotel locally to me which sounds nice (I can visit) but he will not be given the run of a room, he'd be in a cage at nights and in a run in the garden during the day. I have a cage which is over a meter long but I don't know if he'll take to being so caged in?!

Would it be cruel to have him live like that for a month?

Worried,
Loothi

I think only you can answer that question as you obviously know your bun the best, but if it is any help in deciding, we have had house buns come to stay with us and the owners have asked in the summer to board them outside and we have never had any problems with them adapting to hutch and run life from being a free range bun, but I guess it may well depend on each individual rabbit.

Yes I agree - you know your rabbit, I think it would be a different matter in winter and a shock but April is usually quite warm.

I would keep looking around. I'm not saying it would be cruel just that if you are away for a month you don't want to be worrying about your bunnies. There is one round here that has a lavender lodge with run attached which is in the shed so they have permanent access. I would be happy if mine stayed in there (who have the run of a room). Its difficult having spoilt bunnies isn't it :)

Back