PDA

View Full Version : Do you sometimes wish...

Sooz
14-02-2008, 02:07 PM
...you had fallen in love with a 'hardier' species?

Some people seem to be very lucky with their rabbits but the majority of us have had problems with at least one of our bunnies and sometimes it just seems to be one thing after another.

It can be very physically and emotionally draining caring for a sick bunny and sometimes I wonder why I keep putting myself though it (I know the answer to that though).

They really seem to be such fragile little things its a wonder they ever get by on their own in the wild, you would think they'd be extinct by now not plotting world domination. :lol:

bunnymadhouse
14-02-2008, 02:23 PM
yup :rolleyes:

abbymarysmokey
14-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I wish there was a bunny NHS !!!!! :lol:

donnamt
14-02-2008, 02:29 PM
not yet but im sure one day i will....

SarahP
14-02-2008, 02:30 PM
I can completely relate to what you are saying here. Every day now I wrestle with the idea that I really mustn't get any more bunnies after these are gone. :( It breaks my heart, as I have really fallen for bunnies, but I have never known such a fragile species - even mice seem more robust (albeit that they have shorter lives). :cry:

My vet is always saying that the only reason they survive in the wild is because they breed so frequently.

Sooz
14-02-2008, 02:32 PM

It would be more skint than our one :lol:

SarahP
14-02-2008, 02:34 PM
It would be more skint than our one :lol:

Yeah, can you imagine?! :lol: I dread to think how much we must all spend per year! :shock:

Gingypig
14-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I must be fairly lucky, my 4 buns have not caused much problems (except Oscar having e. cuniculi when he was little, but he's all better now).

I must admit I think carnivorous animals (dogs/cats) have less problems.

I think even though horses are hardy they seem to have many problems, i'm convinced it's down to being herbivorous!!

xxx

Sooz
14-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah, can you imagine?! :lol: I dread to think how much we must all spend per year! :shock:

*shivers* Lets not go there...

Isabel
14-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I was thinking about this the other day like why when I had rabbits as a child a didn't do anything right but they lasted years. Yet I do everything by the book now and am on first name terms with the vet. I came to the conclusion that the average pet rabbit is hardy or dead basically whereas well looked after rabbits with health problems keep going because we take them to the vets and fix them. Does that make sense, I'm not with it today at all. :?

Becki xX
14-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Definately, I've lost four bunnies in under two years & it isn't like I have 20 or anything, I've just had those & Rhia in that time :cry: I do keep thinking after I loose them that I just cant have anymore because I literally go to pieces each time they leave..but then I do X

donnamt
14-02-2008, 02:42 PM
my mate has had two rabbits for years and theyve never been ill :shock:

must just be in the genes

abbymarysmokey
14-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I was thinking about this the other day like why when I had rabbits as a child a didn't do anything right but they lasted years. Yet I do everything by the book now and am on first name terms with the vet. I came to the conclusion that the average pet rabbit is hardy or dead basically whereas well looked after rabbits with health problems keep going because we take them to the vets and fix them. Does that make sense, I'm not with it today at all. :?

I'm totally with you on that one Isabel. :wave:

XMissySJx
14-02-2008, 02:45 PM
ive had 2 of mine since sept 06, then my other sinc emay 07, and last since august 07, and so its varied times, but mine have never been ill yet. i always panic, every morning i worry and think *please dont be ill*!!!

altho..i have had to take peanut to the vet when he was 4 months old because a rat bit into his hutch, and i thought peanut was doing it, so didnt realise, then one morning peanuts tail was hanging off covered in blood!!! were lucky he didnt lose his tail! my poor guy!!

Gingypig
14-02-2008, 02:45 PM

Yes, I have this with my horses, me and my friend give our horses everything, we know an awful lot about lookging after them, if we did not know something we'd be striaght on the net or asking friends/vets for advise and then there are those people who have horses, know nothing about them, don't have their feet done often enough, feed them the correct stuff, give them enough exercise nor their teeth looked at etc etc and who do you think has the prolems??? yes you guessed it, but my only conclusion to this is I notice the problem cause I know about all the things that could be wrong whereas the other people do not know so do not notice. But i have found over time that because of my knowledge my animals are actually healthier and look better etc

Sooz
14-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I think its just because you know what your looking for. Like with Lexie, the angle of her head was so slight I almost missed it but then when she started to shake her ears too I knew exactly what I was seeing.

I can spot the start of stasis from 20 paces now too :?

karen1980
14-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I must be fairly lucky, my 4 buns have not caused much problems (except Oscar having e. cuniculi when he was little, but he's all better now).

I must admit I think carnivorous animals (dogs/cats) have less problems.

I think even though horses are hardy they seem to have many problems, i'm convinced it's down to being herbivorous!!

xxx

Aww hope that doesnt go for humans too or us veggies might get extinct :lol::lol:

SarahP
14-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I can't help but think that there are more nasty bunny diseases around these days... Although I do agree that when someone's bunny used to die years ago it was often a mystery, and no-one ever found out why.

SarahP
14-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I think its just because you know what your looking for. Like with Lexie, the angle of her head was so slight I almost missed it but then when she started to shake her ears too I knew exactly what I was seeing.

I can spot the start of stasis from 20 paces now too :?

Yes, I agree with that. My mum often says 'you don't have much luck with your animals, do you?', to which I say that they might often be at the vets, but I very rarely have mysterious deaths.

karen1980
14-02-2008, 02:53 PM

What did that mean? sorry for being ignorant but what condition is it when they shake their ears? :?:shock:

willowthewysp
14-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I dread to think how much i have spent in the last year on vet bills for my bunnies...there is always something wrong and yet i try so hard to do what is right by them!
I have an 'open' account at the vets..and i recieved a staement just yesterday{{ouch}}..that was just for treatment for my Mo...and of course her treatment is still ongoing but with a different vet:shock:

Sooz
14-02-2008, 03:16 PM
What did that mean? sorry for being ignorant but what condition is it when they shake their ears? :?:shock:

It can be a number of things alone but in conjunction with Lexie having Pasteurella and what I suspected was the start of Torticollis (head tilt/wry neck) it pointed to an inner ear infection, where the Pasteurella bacteria has invaded the Bulla.

Doncat5
14-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Totally agree Isabel.

Azraelm
14-02-2008, 03:54 PM

I agree, that makes a lot of sense.

Rabbits are defiently not the pet to have if you have any money problems :?

FriskyClover
14-02-2008, 04:57 PM

I agree, I adore the rabbits but I do sometimes wish I'd stuck with guinea pigs.

I think sometimes it's down to breeding. I'm fairly certain that Smokey is a pure English breed and she is plagued by GI Stasis (not helped by her fluffy fur). Inky is a cross breed (Dutch/Dwarf) and although he has Stasis occasionally, his problems are more to do with his accident-prone nature. Does that make sense?

I just wish that they'd stay healthy.

SarahP
14-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree, I adore the rabbits but I do sometimes wish I'd stuck with guinea pigs.

Me too :( :(

donnamt
14-02-2008, 05:34 PM
is there anyone who actually has healthy buns then, or have i really set myself up for a nightmare future, it is ofcourse too late to not love them im totally obsessed with the little furries

abbymarysmokey
14-02-2008, 05:44 PM
is there anyone who actually has healthy buns then, or have i really set myself up for a nightmare future, it is ofcourse too late to not love them im totally obsessed with the little furries

Buns tend to be one extreme or the other. The healthy ones seem to never need vet attention, and the unhealthy ones tend to have bouts of recurring illness throughout their lives.

Lots of rabbit ailments are not curable as such, and require treatment on and off... e.g. pasteurella, stasis, EC, bladder infections from excess calcium, etc, etc

Sooz
14-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Fiver- Molar issues, snuffles, prone to urinary tract infections
Marley- No known health issues
Bobby- Incisoral Maloclausion, Partially sighted
Scout- Broken femur
Maverick- No known health problems
Lexie- Pasteurella, retrobulbar abcess, eye & ear infections
Cassius- No known health problems

Pippa- Molar issues, Liver failure
Caspain- Pyloric Stenosis

I have had Marley since a 13 week old baby, he is the only one I have had a period of time with no problems, although Scouts leg was an accident. They are both approaching 2.

donnamt
14-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Buns tend to be one extreme or the other. The healthy ones seem to never need vet attention, and the unhealthy ones tend to have bouts of recurring illness throughout their lives.

Lots of rabbit ailments are not curable as such, and require treatment on and off... e.g. pasteurella, stasis, EC, bladder infections from excess calcium, etc, etc

well pearl does seem strong as an ox so far, but i think Alvins gonna be trouble

donnamt
14-02-2008, 05:54 PM
OMG sooz no wunder you have a medical table full of stuff :shock::shock:

Star Bunnies
14-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I think they sometimes do it on purpose you know.....So that we treat them and let them sleep in the best chair................Quite clever really...I love them anyway though..even if they are plotting against me!:roll:

blueboy
14-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I can see what you are saying. Must be pretty upsetting that you have lost a bun so early on and then there are people such as a great friend of mind who has the same rabbit for decades! Maybe you could ask these people what they do differently. I believe genes is very important but its probably not the only factor. I hope my rabbit blue will live as long as these long living special buns. :D

Becki xX
14-02-2008, 07:32 PM
To be honest though, I'd much rather my buns live short happy lives than long ones that perhaps arent so happy...:D X

Jack-Bun
14-02-2008, 07:33 PM

National Hop Service! :lol:

Sooz
14-02-2008, 07:40 PM
In a way a lot of it is self-inflicted I suppose. Most of mine are rescues who came to me with problems, so I knew what I was letting myself in for.

Of my three pet shop bunnies, who I had since babies, Marley is in excellent health, Scout fractured her femure but has never had another illness and Fiver has genetic Maloclausion which, except for his snuffles, is responsible for his other problems.

So in a way I must be doing something right for these guys to be doing so well.

Perhaps I better touch some wood now *crosses fingers*

hooleyslops
14-02-2008, 07:55 PM
i am always asking myself this question - why, when i care so much for my buns and i house them in huge houses with large runs, spend more on their veg per week than i do on the familys and take them to the vets regularly, do i have to loose my baby frenchie pumpkin, under GA and another of my buns last year to bloat. there are several 'rabbit keepers' locally who chuck their buns in a small hutch, no run, no fresh veg and manky old rabbit food and their buns are fine with no obvious health problems. slightly unfair in the scheme of things i would say!!!!:censored:

blueboy
14-02-2008, 11:28 PM
To be honest though, I'd much rather my buns live short happy lives than long ones that perhaps arent so happy...:D X

Just in case that was a hidden message that my friends rabbit wasn't happy....I can assure you that i had met him several times and he was the happiest rabbit I had seen (and I say that over my own rabbit). Thatís probably why he lived so long in the first place :D

blueboy
14-02-2008, 11:33 PM
i am always asking myself this question - why, when i care so much for my buns and i house them in huge houses with large runs, spend more on their veg per week than i do on the familys and take them to the vets regularly, do i have to loose my baby frenchie pumpkin, under GA and another of my buns last year to bloat. there are several 'rabbit keepers' locally who chuck their buns in a small hutch, no run, no fresh veg and manky old rabbit food and their buns are fine with no obvious health problems. slightly unfair in the scheme of things i would say!!!!:censored:

I know :lol:. The bun I keep referring too lived 17 years and was on rabbit mix because he was a fussy eater. But like with anything if your too healthy your weaker. To be honest I think owners "over" care and it doesnít always make a difference to life span. Thatís not to say itís not important. :) I have personally taken note and advice from these people with long living buns.

Becki xX
14-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Just in case that was a hidden message that my friends rabbit wasn't happy....I can assure you that i had met him several times and he was the happiest rabbit I had seen (and I say that over my own rabbit). Thatís probably why he lived so long in the first place :D

I'm not too sure how that could be a hidden message...I dont know you & I dont know your friend?! :? It wasnt even in reply to your post so..X

blueboy
14-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Just PM'd you so it makes a bit more sense :lol:

Becki xX
14-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Just PM'd you so it makes a bit more sense :lol:

Yeah sorry I didnt realise your friend was someone I'd know ;)

SOAD
15-02-2008, 12:16 AM
To Sooz question Heeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll Yes!!!!:lol:

cannonwoman
15-02-2008, 11:32 AM
I definately agree with Sooz`s question. Each time one of my beloved bunsters gets poorly or goes to the bridge i find it so stressful & heart breaking, but there again i couldn`t imagine my life without them either.

I guess I`ll just have to keep taking the valium!:rolleyes::oops:

Su.x

Jaypot
15-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Oh most definately - but at the same time I look at them and my heart swells with love:D
I love looking after any buns but the elderly and the disabled really do give me back more than I could ever give them - so perhaps I am selfish that way:? But they give unconditional love and when they have been terribly abused and they then learn to trust and love you, well, it's the most wonderful feeling in the world.
But I still wish that they where hardier:roll::lol::lol: