• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you sometimes wish...

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
...you had fallen in love with a 'hardier' species?

Some people seem to be very lucky with their rabbits but the majority of us have had problems with at least one of our bunnies and sometimes it just seems to be one thing after another.

It can be very physically and emotionally draining caring for a sick bunny and sometimes I wonder why I keep putting myself though it (I know the answer to that though).

They really seem to be such fragile little things its a wonder they ever get by on their own in the wild, you would think they'd be extinct by now not plotting world domination. :lol:

I can completely relate to what you are saying here. Every day now I wrestle with the idea that I really mustn't get any more bunnies after these are gone. :( It breaks my heart, as I have really fallen for bunnies, but I have never known such a fragile species - even mice seem more robust (albeit that they have shorter lives). :cry:

My vet is always saying that the only reason they survive in the wild is because they breed so frequently.

I must be fairly lucky, my 4 buns have not caused much problems (except Oscar having e. cuniculi when he was little, but he's all better now).

I must admit I think carnivorous animals (dogs/cats) have less problems.

I think even though horses are hardy they seem to have many problems, i'm convinced it's down to being herbivorous!!

xxx

I was thinking about this the other day like why when I had rabbits as a child a didn't do anything right but they lasted years. Yet I do everything by the book now and am on first name terms with the vet. I came to the conclusion that the average pet rabbit is hardy or dead basically whereas well looked after rabbits with health problems keep going because we take them to the vets and fix them. Does that make sense, I'm not with it today at all. :?

Definately, I've lost four bunnies in under two years & it isn't like I have 20 or anything, I've just had those & Rhia in that time :cry: I do keep thinking after I loose them that I just cant have anymore because I literally go to pieces each time they leave..but then I do X

I was thinking about this the other day like why when I had rabbits as a child a didn't do anything right but they lasted years. Yet I do everything by the book now and am on first name terms with the vet. I came to the conclusion that the average pet rabbit is hardy or dead basically whereas well looked after rabbits with health problems keep going because we take them to the vets and fix them. Does that make sense, I'm not with it today at all. :?

I'm totally with you on that one Isabel. :wave:

ive had 2 of mine since sept 06, then my other sinc emay 07, and last since august 07, and so its varied times, but mine have never been ill yet. i always panic, every morning i worry and think *please dont be ill*!!!

altho..i have had to take peanut to the vet when he was 4 months old because a rat bit into his hutch, and i thought peanut was doing it, so didnt realise, then one morning peanuts tail was hanging off covered in blood!!! were lucky he didnt lose his tail! my poor guy!!

Yes, I have this with my horses, me and my friend give our horses everything, we know an awful lot about lookging after them, if we did not know something we'd be striaght on the net or asking friends/vets for advise and then there are those people who have horses, know nothing about them, don't have their feet done often enough, feed them the correct stuff, give them enough exercise nor their teeth looked at etc etc and who do you think has the prolems??? yes you guessed it, but my only conclusion to this is I notice the problem cause I know about all the things that could be wrong whereas the other people do not know so do not notice. But i have found over time that because of my knowledge my animals are actually healthier and look better etc

I think its just because you know what your looking for. Like with Lexie, the angle of her head was so slight I almost missed it but then when she started to shake her ears too I knew exactly what I was seeing.

I can spot the start of stasis from 20 paces now too :?

I must be fairly lucky, my 4 buns have not caused much problems (except Oscar having e. cuniculi when he was little, but he's all better now).

I must admit I think carnivorous animals (dogs/cats) have less problems.

I think even though horses are hardy they seem to have many problems, i'm convinced it's down to being herbivorous!!

xxx

Aww hope that doesnt go for humans too or us veggies might get extinct :lol::lol:

I can't help but think that there are more nasty bunny diseases around these days... Although I do agree that when someone's bunny used to die years ago it was often a mystery, and no-one ever found out why.

I think its just because you know what your looking for. Like with Lexie, the angle of her head was so slight I almost missed it but then when she started to shake her ears too I knew exactly what I was seeing.

I can spot the start of stasis from 20 paces now too :?

Yes, I agree with that. My mum often says 'you don't have much luck with your animals, do you?', to which I say that they might often be at the vets, but I very rarely have mysterious deaths.

What did that mean? sorry for being ignorant but what condition is it when they shake their ears? :?:shock:

Back