• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles

twee

Young Bun
Henry got treated a couple of weeks ago for a virus, which having read on here sounds like snuffles. He was sneezing and had discharge from his nose. He had a course of antibiotics for 5 days, which cleared most of it up, but he still had the odd sneeze and still a slight discharge from his nose. He's currently on a course of jabs for mange, but do you think he needs more antibiotics to thoroughly clear it up. Emily had the same and she is now fine, but then she was a lot easier to administer them too!!

Sorry for the long post

True 'Snuffles' is caused by a bacteria known as Pasteurella, not a virus (antibioitics are not effective against a virus). Sadly Snuffles is not something that can ever be cured, rather controlled. It tends to reoccur time and time again especially at times of stress (as do mites).

It takes a very long course of antibiotics to get Pasteurella under control, at least 6 weeks, 5 days will have done very little longterm benefit, apart from possibly weakening the effect of the antibiotic used (Im guessing Enrofloxacin (Baytril)). I suggest getting your rabbit back onto a long term course of antibiotics asap to try and get the condition under control.

Some rabbits are lucky and seem to remain asymptomatic after a good course of treatment.

My rabbit, Lexie is currently going through this at the moment and it seems to have spread into her inner ear at this time :(

Two of ours are going through this at the moment, and I dont think Charlie, who is 10, is going to make it for much longer:( There isnt a cure but the good news is in a stronger bunny it can be kept under control and sympoms can die down (Charlie is a rare case because of her age and history)Very dark leafy greens give the immune system a boost and you could also look out for a decent bunny probiotic, although we still havent found one suitable yet

I do hope your bunny is feeling better soon

My rabbit, Lexie is currently going through this at the moment and it seems to have spread into her inner ear at this time :(

what would happen to her inner ear?

========================

My Bernie has the same problem currently. On top of ABX, the vet gives him Ciloxan, 0.3% (5 ml) It's anti-bacterial eye drop that my vet uses as nose drop. It's the very same eye drop for human, so you can get your doctor to get a prescription and it's cheaper than seeing a vet and buy it off from the vet.

Drug store charges me $19, my vet charges me $34 for the same 5 ml bottle.

===========

MaxiandScottandbuns, because your bun is 10 yr. old, I highly recommend Blackberries break down into fluid by a juicer, and cut stem of hay in very small part and force feed your 10 yr. old bun.

If he is eating the hay, then you don't need the hay cutting part. Blackberry has 435 phenolic compounds (Amount in mg per 100g), virtually one of the highest in anti-toxicant in the world. It can really help.

I am using black berry to treat my other bunny Goofball on bone cancer as an alternative medicine, so far, she is happy and out live the life limit given by my vets already.

My bunny is 5 KG, and I use 8 oz per day, I also syringe feed her the liquid of the blackberry as well. Give it a try, you have nothing to loose

MaxiandScottandbuns, because your bun is 10 yr. old, I highly recommend Blackberries break down into fluid by a juicer, and cut stem of hay in very small part and force feed your 10 yr. old bun.

If he is eating the hay, then you don't need the hay cutting part. Blackberry has 435 phenolic compounds (Amount in mg per 100g), virtually one of the highest in anti-toxicant in the world. It can really help.

I am using black berry to treat my other bunny Goofball on bone cancer as an alternative medicine, so far, she is happy and out live the life limit given by my vets already.

My bunny is 5 KG, and I use 8 oz per day, I also syringe feed her the liquid of the blackberry as well. Give it a try, you have nothing to loose

Thank you so so much! Any advice is SO appreciated right now and really useful. Im going to get out and buy some blackberries straight away! We have a blender, do we need to seive out the pulp and just use the juice? I can do that easily. And we have a few little feeding syringes. She is still eating a little hay but probably a bit more would be good. Im so glad your bunny is happy and fighting on

Thank you! Ill let you know how it goes for her

what would happen to her inner ear?

The Pastuerella has spred to the ear and caused an infection. The ear starts to fill with puss and this causes Torticollis (head tilt/wry neck).

Ear Infection Of the causes listed, we have found that by far the most common is a middle- or inner ear infection. The Vestibular Apparatus, largely responsible for the sense of balance, is located in the bulla of the skull, a large, hollow space near the base of each ear. An ear infection can cause the tissues of the ear and inside the bulla to become inflamed, and this can interfere with proper function of the Vestibular Apparatus. A very severe inner ear infection can actually cause the bulla to fill with hard, caseous (i.e., of a tough, cheeselike texture) pus. This presses on the Vestibular Apparatus, and prevents its proper function. Any inflammation of the VA can cause head tilt.

Dana Krempels

Thank you so so much! Any advice is SO appreciated right now and really useful. Im going to get out and buy some blackberries straight away! We have a blender, do we need to seive out the pulp and just use the juice? I can do that easily. And we have a few little feeding syringes. She is still eating a little hay but probably a bit more would be good. Im so glad your bunny is happy and fighting on

Thank you! Ill let you know how it goes for her
I think you could just feed a whole blackberry to save the palaver of liquidising. Both my bunsters love blackberries.

T We have a blender, do we need to seive out the pulp and just use the juice? I can do that easily. And we have a few little feeding syringes. She is still eating a little hay but probably a bit more would be good.

a little bit of hay wouldn't be enough. In that case, your bun is just like mine then. As such, we really solve 2 problems w/ 1 solution.

I pick the biggest stem of hay from my bale of hay, and cut them about 1 mm long, and mix w/ the pulp. So you definitely want to keep the pulp.

The pulp mix w/ cut out hay has to fit in the 35 cc syringe, as the pulp is quite big along w/ hay, so it won't fit in small syringe.

The liquid can be feed via any syringe, I use the 6 cc

Work out the appropriate amt. for your bun based on weight. I use the critical care formula.

For every 1 KG of the weight of the bun, if that bun is not eating anything else, he should have 50 cc of mixture.

So if your bun weight 3 KG, then you should have 150 cc of pulp mix w/ cut out hay. And syringe feed your bun say 3 to 4 times per 24 hr.

Sorry to pipe up with this old chestnut :oops: but what would the sugar content be like in that? Remembering rabbit digestion is ill equipted to process carbohydrates en masse.

Twee - I'd just reinforce Sooz message that the Baytril MUST be a good long course to get snuffles under control.
You may see some improvement in the first few days which might tempt you to stop the baytril thinking bunny is better, but only a long course will help get the bacteria sufficiently under control.
I'd go back to the vet and ask for a 6 week course

Thanks for the advice. He is due his last jab for mange so will arrange to see the vet and get a longer course for him. Any ideas for getting hi to take the drugs. He hated having them syringes into him and i got more on me than in him some days :lol:

Some bunnies take it squirted onto greens or a piece of carrot. Otherwise I tip the syringe with jam or honey or mix the Baytril with blackcurrant juice in the syringe.

Baytril has a bitter taste which is why the bunnies hate it!

Back