• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting panacur into bunny

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
Can anybody help me with ideas for getting panacur into my bunny? I have tried putting it on carrot and a damson tree branch but she was very unimpressed and has fallen out with me now for trying to get her to have it! Any help would be greatly appreciated as she only started her course yesterday and am worried about her missing a dose.
Thank you x.

We have to 'sit' on Lily and she still fights it.

Ive been told putting it on her paw might work next time as she'll lick it off and get it into her body that way.. :rolleyes:
Not sure though not tried it yet (only just finished the panacur course).

I find that it helps if someone holds the bunny, and the other puts the syringe into the side of the bunnys mouth and then squirts it in. At first my bunnies hated it, but by the end of the 28 day course they would run up to me, and i would hold the syringe out and they would take it willingly. The benjamin particularly loved it. Panacur stains aswell, as you can see by my lovely body warmer (hehe)...

This is a video of the benjamin willingly taking panacur. without me having to put it into his mouth.

I put the panacur on a spring green leaf when I gave it to mine. You could also try it on a little piece of toast as most bunnies love it!

My vet gave me a tip to very finely grate carrot (nutmeg grater size), dry with a bit of kitchen roll, mix in the panacur to bind it back together.

Thanks for your tips and advice guys.
I tried putting it on bread, and although she was cautious, she gave in in the end and had it. Also tried putting it on parsley and she seemed quite happy with that too. Many thanks, it was such a relief when she finally got her (somewhat reduced) dose today! x

I just tried to give Milly and Molly their first dose in the side of the mouth. Milly was ok with it and licked it off her mouth, but Molly kept backing up into my arm but she took a little bit in the end. They are so cautious of it but once it's in their mouth, their little faces light up :lol:.

I am afraid I do it the way I do the horses, in the side of the mouth and to the back of the throat.. The way the vet told me!! I am unsure if this is a common thing but they seem to take it fine, Rocky is no bother and Russel doesnt mind once its in its getting it in there can be the problem, but they are so picky their fave veggies change on a weekly basis, so they cannot be relied on!!! :lol:

you 're so lucky your bunnies eat panacure with something, without fighting with them!!
Each time I have to give them panacure, It is a big fight! I oftem have more panacure ...aeverywhere else than in the bunny! The table, me, on the bunny, but surely not inside!
I used to mix it with banana, and give them in a serynge (without needle...) because anything else work... Even firmin, who might be able to sell his mother for some banana, don't want the panacure...
though, it is a bit easier for me, as far as my bunnies do not exceeded 3 pounds of weight (with winter fur and fullybelly of diner!)
cec..

Back