• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

brain not responding to much this morning

mitsy

New Kit
hi
i went in to feed brain this morning and he was just lying down couldn`t be bothered to move. normally he is mega alert in the morning as he knows it is breakfast time and we normally have kisses and strokes.
this morning we had nothing, i filled his food pot he did not want to know ( however it was empty from last night so he has eaten).
tried to give him some water did not want to know, he just went into his bed part of his hutch and layed down.
i left his hutch open and he came out of it, just wondering if any one got any idea what could be wrong with him. i will keep an eye on him whehter he stops eating and stuff, but i hate it when this happens he is such a outgoing and happy bun, i kept asking him what was wrong like he was going to give me an answer ( why do we do that)??
This has happened before but last time he stopped eating and the vet gave him that botiac stuff to get his gut going again, so it could be that again.

thanks for you time x

I would get him to the vets this morning if possible. He sound like he could be about to develop GI Stasis, so if you get him to the vets now, it will probably be easier to solve.

just phoned the vet as she has advised to see if he has eaten something lunch time if he is still the same take him in, if he has eaten then to keep an eye on him
i hate this

If you can syringe feed him some water warmed from the kettle, and get him to run about a bit, that will help if it's an attack of stasis - it's urgent he gets some care as he may have already been in this state for hours during the night. If you can't syringe him then he needs the vet for fluids, painkillers and he/she should be able to feel his guts for a blockage and advise you what to do.

hi
just to let you know that my other half has been home and bun has eaten some food from his hands, he has had kisses from the bun and he has been playing with his toilet roll tube as well.
h2b has put brain in his run now and he is stuffing grass like it is going out of fashion. he has thrown his water bowl everywhere which is a good sign he also does this when he is in his run i think he thinks it is funny- love him.
i have been told that he is quite happy throwing his toys every where in his run now as well.
h2b said he looks alot brighter than this morning.
so i will keep an eye on him and his eating drinking and poo`s if i think he is going back to the way he was then i will take to the vet.
speaking to the vet this morning she said if he starts eating just to keep an eye on him, if he has not eaten anything when h2b goes back at lunch then to bring him in.
to be honest it is quite a relief he has started eating and getting back to normal was not looking forward to going to the vets.

thansk for all your advice today

Back