• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Here's what the final stages of E Cunicul can look like

buda

Warren Scout
This is the last photo that was taken of Olliver before he died this week.

See how his arms are spread out like a superman pose? That is because he was paralysed. His back legs were also paralysed and he couldn't get up.

This is just a reference pic for those that do not know what E Cuniculi looks like in the final stages. He died about 12 hours after this photo was taken.

Tofu is in the background snuggling and comforting Olliver. I miss him so much! Poor Tofu is all by himself now. We are giving him lots of cuddles.

dscn4981iv6.jpg

Im so sorry for your loss :cry:

For the record not all rabbits with EC develop the same symptoms or combination of symptoms, so some rabbits may not develope paralysis before death. Alternatively they may have head tilt or go into liver failure or even experience seizures or bloating.

Binky Free Oliver x

I'm so sorry to hear this, I did not know :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank you for the reference, that must have been so hard, but it is informative for those that don't know.

RIP Oliver, binky free little one xx

aww so sory he was beautiful, thankgod he had a caring owner and was happy with the time he had with you :cry:

Thanks for all the condolences. My partner only burried him yesterday - we have no shovel (being city kids that we are) and he had to bribe some workers with beer to borrow their shovel for half an hour.

Why is losing pets so hard?

I guess it makes us work harder to keep them alive right?

Very sorry to hear about Oliver.
Can I ask what EC is? And what are the symptoms? I am a new bunny owner and not sure of all these terms yet x.

so sorry to hear about your sad loss - and you were so very brave to post this.

I do agree with Soozz (this keeps happening!) that not all EC looks the same. My two losses from long term chronic EC have resulted in huge weight loss, kidney failures, and in one case blindness. Only one had hind leg pareisis and even then she could just about hop. It was the kidney failures that finished them.

My two losses from long term chronic EC have resulted in huge weight loss, kidney failures, and in one case blindness. Only one had hind leg pareisis and even then she could just about hop. It was the kidney failures that finished them.

Remember that not all kidney failure is down to EC though.

Back