• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rocky has a weight problem

RusselRocky

Mama Doe
My dwarf lop Rocky has the biggest weight problem of any animal I have ever encountered (and I have a Shetland pony!!) he gets excercise and hugs, but he has recently been castrated and is waiting for his *ahem* area to heal. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep this young mans weight down... I have cut down his food but feel this is not the right answer!! There must be something that will help, certain vitamins perhaps? Veggies?? Something must speed up his metabolism!! :shock:

eek! how much does he weigh? and how much pellet food does he get? It can be very fattening.

I like to hide pellets and veg in order to make rabbits exercise in order to feed - like i tie some bits of broccoli on a string and hang it from the cage roof so they have to stretch. O r i get something fascinating (!) like a shiny jam jar lid or a bell, tie it to a string, run around with it, and bunny runs after me.

So glad you asked this - and hope someone can come up with a good answer! I have an overweight girl (Robinia). She was a rescue (from PAH 'adoption') bun who i have had for about 6 months, and is now about a year and a bit old, neutered at about 9 months.
She was overweight when I took her on and I briefly managed to get weight off her and down to 2.6k when I first got her - but I think that was the stress of the change. But she's now crept back up to 3.1K (there - i said it!!).
She has as much exercise as she likes, as much hay as she wants, and just a few few pellets. Her husbun Teasal, who used to be a little chubby when he was living with our disabled dearly beloved Florence (at RB), has lost SO much weight by having to try and share food with her - and of course go on the same diet as her. He is now positively THIN but her weight refuses to budge.
When she gets hungry she starts to eat the dining room chair legs! She just never stops eating hay or wood or anything she can.
Her sister Willow is also a bit of a chub - despite living with the wiry and lithe Damson. Though I can't diet Willow right now as she is just recovering from gut surgery and we are desperate to keep her eating.

Could it be their genes????
Anyone any miracle cures for chubby buns?

To be really honest I have not weighed him the dread of seeing how much he weighs terrifies me. All I know is my nethie is 0.9kgs (the right weight) and doesnt make me go OOF when I pick him up and there really isnt all that much size difference... Eeeek!! I feel like a bad mummy... Well I have got him on some musili stuff that the vet recommended (he eats this happier then pellets for some reason) but I mostly try to keep him on a dried grass and hay diet with some greens thrown in, the musili is just a handful or so daily and no more beacause of the weight problem.

He is lazier then the nethie and always has been since before he was castrated... I just can't work it out...

He says he is big boned but I am afraid I do not believe him!! :lol:

If I have an overweight bun come along I reduce their pellets to zero over 2 weeks and feed hay ad lib and herbs and veggies until they ar at a decent weight then only give them a teaspoon of pellets a day max or none at all if they are happy without!
Get him to search for his food too, use a treat ball, hide pellets and veggies in cereal boxes filled with hay or put a few pellets in each corner of the room so he has to work for it :D

Back