• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny spey

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
Hi all,
I bought my new bunny, Flo, at Christmas. She was speyed on Monday and as I am new to owning rabbits I don't really know what to expect post-operatively. She has started to eat hay and a little bit of pellets and carrot, she is also drinking well. However, her appetite is not as it was, when can I expect this to return to normal? Also, she is a house rabbit and used to spend a couple of hours a night roaming around at free will. When can she be allowed to do this again? I also found worms in her droppings last night and she has been put on a 9-day course of panacur, how will this affect her recovery? (If at all?). I would appreciate any advice more experienced bunny owners could offer me, as I am very worried about my baby. Thanks,
Sam x.

Well normally the litle lady will be quite drowsy immediatly after the operation. Some rabbits take a while to come round which can affect how they behave at home. The operation is basically a hysterectomy and it is quite an ordeal for humans so imagine what it will feel like to a wee bunny. Anywaym, she will be reluctant to stay on her feet too much and will take to lying down in the first 2 or 3 hours after getting home. She should begin to eat within that time but in my experience rabbits tend to be thirstier rather than hungry. All rabbits are different, the first rabbit I had speyed was 3 and it took her a week to fully recover. The other girls I've had done since were younger and recovered enough to go back outdoors the next day.
The panacur wormer shouldn't really affect her recovery however you should have a post op check in 10 days with the vet. Definatly go to that and voice any concerns to him or her. The apeptite is usually a little diminshed but give Flo time. As long as she is still pooing and eating a little of everything there will be some balance. Do you know how old she is?

When I bought her I was told she was 8 weeks, only to later find from a vets after a health check that she was more likely to be 4 months! So she is 6 months now. You are absolutely right, she is drinking loads, and her appetite is slowly starting to pick up. She also seems keen to get up on her hind legs to see whats going on (she's an indoor rabbit) which I'm trying to discourage as I don't want her to hurt her wound. But surely this is a good sign?
Thank you so much for your reply, having no experience of rabbits before means all this has come as a bit of a shock! I was a bit worried I had done the wrong thing. My only trouble now is getting the panacur inside her, she didn't want to know this morning. I even tried putting it on some carrot and a damson tree branch but nothing. Any tips here?
Many thanks x.

Flo sounds like she's doing really well.
All rabbits react differently, several of my does have taken a couple of weeks for their eating habits to return to normal but Lottie my frenchie was speyed yesterday and doesn't appear to have stopped eating at all.

I can't offer any advice about the panacur I'm afraid as mine eat anything.

I'd watch her for excessive cleaning in the bottom area. She might be trying to pick at her stitches in which case you'll have to ask the vet for a buster collar (also called Elizibethan collar). Is it liquid Panacur you have?
I would normally towel wrap the bunny and turn her upside and syringe this into her mouth. If you manage to handle her like that, insert the tip of the syringe gentley into the side of her mouth so that you are not dripping the stuff onto her teeth. Failing that, you could possibly put it into her drinking water. I must admit though, a stubborn rabbit is hard to deafeat. :lol:

Thanks for your advice. How can you tell the difference between her licking her bottom or stitches? She's on panacur paste. Yesterday I had to give it to her on rolled up parsley as she wouldn't have it any other way! Fingers crossed it will work again today! x

Flo may not have external stitches my vet glues the wound together.
I wouldn't worry too much I would guess that the wound is fairly well healed after 5 days.

Pink Badger is right. I'd forgotten ever vet is different. In Edinburgh, external stitiches seem o the preferred method and I've seen several PDSA bunnies tear them out and shred the surrounding skin.
Rabbit bum cleaning is usually indicated by an up and down movement with the head almost between the back legs. If she were spending too much time in that area and tugging you'd then want to check she's not worrying her stitches.
Good luck with the paste. If that works you're onto a winner.

Back