• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horse nets

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
elico-horse-haynets-1309-1270_thumb.jpg

Just replying to Beth's thread and had an idea. Does anyone use the horse hay net things for their rabbits? Would this be safe? I was thinking you could hang one so they could just reach the bottom and then could use it to hold a lot of hay and the hay would fall to the bottom as they ate.

The only thing I'd be worried about is a net affect of them getting caught in it if it fell down...

I'd be worried about them managing to jump up and getting their neck/leg caught in it and doing some serious damage as they fall downwards :?

I use them and have never had any problems. I use the ones with small holes when there are small buns or youngsters in the runs.

I find youngsters sitting in their hay racks sometimes so I would personally worry about them getting stuck in it.

I was going to get one for the buns Playhouse- but when I looked at them, they looked really weak and the holes looked as if they were going to split

Plus I was scared of it falling on the buns?:?

I loop mine from the rafters in the barn so no possibility of them falling, have a look for the smaller holed ones, they are a lot smaller than the holes in the pic in Deelove's original post - the holes are about 1" square so no chance of youngsters getting caught in them.

I was going to get one for the buns Playhouse- but when I looked at them, they looked really weak and the holes looked as if they were going to split

Plus I was scared of it falling on the buns?:?

I can asure ou they are not weak, have you ever seen a horse pulling at one? they are made from very strong nylon.

As for save for buns? depends on your bun I guess. i used to bring haylage home from the yard in one for the pigs and let them gather round it while running on the patio, but it as very full so they couldn't get in or anything.

xxx

I loop mine from the rafters in the barn so no possibility of them falling, have a look for the smaller holed ones, they are a lot smaller than the holes in the pic in Deelove's original post - the holes are about 1" square so no chance of youngsters getting caught in them.

I couldn't find a picture on image search. :lol:

I personally would not recommend them for rabbits. I won't use them for horses either. A donkey where I work hung itself on a haynet. Granted it wasn't tied up properly but I wouldn't take the risk. They aren't that great for horses either as they are eating in an unnatural position.

I feed my horse from the floor for the reasons stated above!

You can get travel hay nets though that are solid nylon fabric with one big hole in though that might be better for bunny?!

I'd be concerned about them chewing on the Nylon to be honest and with my buns i'd end up throwing loads away as they only eat it when its fresh :roll: I'd be able to fit a weeks worth of hay in a haynet but they just wouldn't eat it. Smaller amounts and often seems to work for my buns so a big handful in the morning, one when i get home from work and one before I put them to bed :D

I agree with Bionic Bunny. I have seen horses with the legs caught in them and causing serious harm. So there is no way I would recommend them!

that is why they are hung a certain hight ;) too low and horses can get their legs caught in them, but having them higher up tones their muscles and helps improve their top line :D but that can also be acheived by a hay bar :D you can also 'double up' so it's harder to get the hay out and harder to stick legs, heads etc in :)

Back