• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bales of hay?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
I found a farm that sells a bale of hay for £2.50. I was wondering if I could buy two and put one in each playhouse, would they go rotten?
They pee in their litter trays so they wouldn't pee in the hay.

You are supposed to be able to store hay for 12 months without it losing its nutritional value, but I guess it depends on how it's stored.
I store mine inside an old quilt cover (useful for when fetching the bale home in the car too), in a dark, ventilated shed, but to be honest a bale has never lasted longer than 3 weeks before it's all used up:lol:

If you put it where the rabbits have access to it they will be inclined to poop on it. :) We put half a bale of hay in our shed over christmas for some warmth for them and even though they are litter trained they still used it as a toilet.

Would you be able to screw a hook into the ceiling and hang the bale from there. We have allsorts hanging from our shed ceiling. :lol:

Why not get one bale at a time, then if you only put half a bale in each shed it'll be less wasted if they do wee on it

Back