• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very Sick Bunny-virus?

clare123

New Kit
Hello

Hoping someone can help.

My bunny Marmalade is in the vets right now being looked after there.
Took her in this am as she has been completely off her food for two days (although unfortunately this may be longer as other half was looking after her over the weekend whilst I was away and not sure how much she ate) and also on closer inspection was holding up a paw this morning too, kind of lame.

Vet very worried about her, her mouth is very mucousy, gums red, inside of eyes red, she thinks it may be a virus. Worst case Myxi, although vaccinations all up to date and also I understand it's unlikely at this time if year?

Any ideas on here what it might be?

Vet said leg might have been a shifting lameness due to her being sore and achey, as I had noticed it on the left paw and in the vets she swapped to the right paw being help up.

She has beein given anti biotic, pain killer and something for her gut by injection. Vet and Vet Nurse are syringe feeding her baby vegtable food, and I took in some pellets, treats and kale to try and get her eating too.

I am very very worried any advice gratefullt received.

Clare

It sounds as though your poor rabbit is in GI Stasis which occures when the gut shuts down and motlity ceases. Its always secondary to another illness and its vital that the cause is found to prevent it happening again.

Do you vets suspect an infection such an Enteritis? Has she been toileting at all?

The medication given sounds correct, was it Metaclopromide for her gut? Thats to help restore GI motility and get things moving again. Your vets may want to consider adding probiotics such as bio lapis or fiberplex to the feed to help restore the good gut bacteria, gut infections normally occur when the gut is over-run with bad bacteria. Getting lots of fluids and fiber into your rabbit is also vital to prevent a blockage forming from trapped food/hair/foreign bodies.

yes I think she is in GI stasis, but vet seems to think the underlying problem is a virus (due to mucous, red gums and inside eyes, and her third eyelid coming across). What could this virus be? Is there a chance a vaccinated bunny can get Myxi? If it's not that what else can they get?
Fingers crossed she gets through the stasis but worried what this virus might be...
Clare

I dont think its myxi but yes vaccinated bunnies can get it, though a milder form.

I would have thought a bacterial infection to be more likely, this could manifest as mucoid enteritis or entertoxemia but there are others that I have no experince of. It could also be coccidia but this would manifest with slightly different symptoms, often sever bloat or diahorreah.

What are her stools like?

there was some messy poo in her hutch this am but I assumed they were uneaten cecotrophs (sp?) as she had not been eating. she normally eats all of these.
unfortunately my mum emptied her litter tray before I went out to her (I am 26 by the way, not a child - my mum is just super helpful and had popped round for a lift to work, when she often feeds the rabbit for me as I am rushing round getting ready, bless her). Think I will ring mum now and ask if it was full and normal looking.
At the vets the vet manipulated her stomach and there was a lot of gas/noise.
Clare

It sounds very much like a bacterial problem to me. I really hope she pulls through for you.

Sending lots of (((vibes))) for Marmalade x

Positive news from the vet she is nibbling on some carrot (the vet nurses lunch no less!) and hay, and taking the vegetable baby food from a syringe. I can pick her up tonight. Am seeing the vet when I pick her up for more info. Everything crossed!
Clare

thanks sooz you have kept me sane for an afternoon in the office worrying. will post an update tomorrow.
Clare

Update

Picked her up last night about 6.30pm, fed her a couple of 5 ml syringes of baby food over the evening, she drank and had some very small nibbles of veg and a hop round the living room.

Stomach very gurgly and visibly moving after baby food and think she was in some pain, but some movement must be better than none?

She did one soft poo overnight, have never been so happy to see a poo!

More baby food this am, and she is back to the vets for the day so they can monitor and look after her whilst I am at work. Another vet is on duty today, and yesterdays vet said she is quite glad of that so she can get a second opinion.

Marmalade will be SO spoilt if she manages to pull through, it's just so horrible watching an otherwise healthy not even quite 2 year old bunny suffer like this :eek:(

Clare

Could your vets to switch to Science Recovery feed? Possibly mixed with some baby food if she likes the taste better?

Im a bit concerned about the lack of fiber and probiotics getting into your bunnies GI tract. The fiber is vital to restoring good gut function and the probiotics to restoring the gut flora balance.

Did she have painrelief over night? Pain is the number one cause for anorexia in rabbits.

Hello Sooz thanks for all your help.

She had pain relief injections at the vets yesterday but they did not give me anything to come home with. Is there an oral pain killer they could give me?

If they do not have Science recovery where could I get some from? I don't think she does like the baby food! I ead your post about Bobbin and might try and get the apple and blackcurrant one and try her with that mixed with pellets tonight if she is still not eating, would that be best if i can't get hold of the recovery stuff?

They said they put the lapis (sp?) stuff (probiotic) in her water whilst at the vets yesterday and will do the same today, and send me home with some tonight (sorry forgot to mention that).

Still so worried, was scared to go into the kitchen this am in case she had left us :eek:(

Clare

It depends on what the painrelieveing injection was. If it was an opiate such as Vetergesic or Torbugesic then she could also have oral meloxicam (Metacam) administered at home. This is a NSAID, its pleasent tasting(honey flavoured) and most bunnies quite like it. If, however, the vets gave her Rimadyl then Metacam cannot be used inconjunction with this as it is also an NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflammatory).

You can buy SR online but obviously you need it before then so you may need to call arond a few vets surgeries to find a stockist. you will need to cut the tip off the syringe as it is quite lumpy and tends to get stuck in the narrow opening otherwise.

The Bio-Lapis can also be mixed into her food (should you make your own feed) but SR contains a probiotic anyway.

Again Fiberplex may also be of some assistance as this is a concentrated fiber and probiotic paste, its given 3x daily until all gone.

No advice, but hope she feels better soon.
Bobby refused to eat for 3 days last year (GI Stasis) but came through it fine, with some intensive nursing! I does feel like forever when they're poorly. I find myself checking every 5 minutes whether they've eaten/ poo'd

Last edited:
Thanks for your good wishes.

Just rang the vets, the nurse said she had been on the Science Recovery yesterday so not sure why they sent me home without any?! But she will be having it today and I can have some to take home tonight.

Will definately ask about pain relief when I collect her tonight.

Clare

Back