• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pay the unimportant bills or buy new hutch?

Kay

Mama Doe
OK here's my dilema

Do I pay £100 of my unimportant bills (ones that can't take my house or car! lol) or do I buy Thistle Hall from advert in paper :lol: ?

Basically I could at a pinch reduce my bill payment to £40 and get away with it for this month only and have enough money to buy a brand new flat packed Thistle Hall from the local paper at £90? Or should I be boring and pay the proper £100 in bills and miss out on lovely Thistle Hall? ummmm

Two rabbits would be happy in Thistle Hall at night wouldn't they? Big enough I think as they wouldn't be in for long.

No way really? :lol:

There are more things my money should go on like the car MOT but thats not till April 08, and I can live on beans on toast! lol.

What's the hutch for/your current set up?

Runs are easier/cheaper to go larger. For example if you could get a 6'x6'x2' run for about £60-70. If you've already got a hutch but want to give them more space, my personal rec is to up the run size rather than the hutch.

Tamsin

i would pay the bills, you can get in a lot more trouble by not paying bills than not buying a hutch.

say you buy the hutch but ignore the bills and then cant afford to eat anything but beans on toast and a rabbit gets ill. then you have bills, vet bills and no food!!!

Thanks all,

Tasmin its the same 5ftx2ftx2ft one Arthur lives in, but I really really want to get him a partner soon and I liked the Thistle Hall. Would a rescue centre entertain a 5ftx2ftx2ft hutch with run combo?

Wispa, I understand the concern and you are quite right, however I wouldn't get that broke. I have an ISA for furtureproofing so I'd draw on that for Vet's - its emergencies only. Beans on toast is because I don't want to use my overdraft. I do try to be good with my money. I don't have credit cards or anything.

If you don't pay your bills, will someone be stuck without the money?? Ie is there a plumber or similar who is waiting to be paid? If so, I would pay the bills. If it's a case of paying the minimum rather than full amount on a catalogue or something, I would go for the hutch. :)

Tasmin its the same 5ftx2ftx2ft one Arthur lives in, but I really really want to get him a partner soon and I liked the Thistle Hall. Would a rescue centre entertain a 5ftx2ftx2ft hutch with run combo?

Do you have a rescue in mind? If so then the best thing is to ask them or ask several local ones to give you options. I would think most rescues will take in mind the overall space. For example those 6'x2' hutches with 6'x4' runs give a total of 36 foot square. A 5'x2' hutch with a 5'x6' run would give 40 square foot!

Tamsin

Excellent good idea Tasmin, I am hoping to go to Caroline. She has sent me the pack and everything and I have emailed and askde some questions. I will email her now I just worry that I ask her too much and I know she is so busy, plus I am excited so a bad combination! haha.

thank you all for putting up with me lol

xx

If you're talking about Rabbit Residence Caroline then she has particularly high requirements. Obviously I can't speak for her 100% but I know she doesn't like double storey hutches and requires a min 50sqft run (i.e. 10*5 or similar) so I would definitely pay the bills and let the Thistle Hall go ;)

Pay the bills first then sort the rabbits out when you have the money again, you may find something better and cheaper by that time.

I very much agree with Tamsin.

My rabbits spend 95% of their time in their run (free to come and go). It would not matter how big their hutch was (within reason), they prefer as much space outside of it, as possible. (This is only when they come in at night because they are in the garden during the day).

I might add (only in my opinion of course) that sometimes I feel some of these hutches are made very housey/cutsie to appeal to us humans and not necessarily what makes good living accommodation for rabbits.

Cara

I would pay the bills first too. I hate debt and have seen what unpaid bills can do to a person. Besides, there is often going to be interest added which might mean you end up paying more that you first thought.

I also agree with Tamsin. I wouldn't personally buy this particular hutch if you have the option of a larger space for the same money.

I'd go for a shed or a wendy house every time over a hutch even if it's double storey. Not all bunnies like or can deal with a ramp, plus you can always add floors into a shed giving the buns even more space, even if you do this at a later date.

Back