• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

do rabbits have off days?

vicky206

Mama Doe
last night Giz was really quiet did not want to play (usually he is a house destroyer!) he was out but just wanted to sleep on the floor and did not eat his tea at the usual scheduled time.

poos were normal and i did all the usual checks (bum,ears,tummy feels and an all over check) everything was normal.

i heard him eating through the night and woke up this morning he was back to his usual self running around and chewing things that are not meant to be chewed!

he is vaccinated and neutered.

any ideas? should i speak to the vet? if he goes quiet again he will be took straight to the vet.

confused!:wave:

If they have an 'off' day, I think you can generally take it that something is wrong.
Mine are all very consistent in behaviour which is how I know if one of them is poorly.
He may have had a little wind, or maybe the onset of teeth problems? I think you're right to monitor it and take him to the vet if you notice a change in behaviour.

thanks for reply, any ideas what it could be?

stomach was soft not hard, teeth have been checked a couple of weeks ago vet said teeth are fine?:D

Lexie has been like this on and off for a couple of days now but Im pretty sure hers is down to her pasteurella playing up. As HS says, there is normally an underlying reason for these things.....Im keeping a VERY close eye on Lex as her poo's are smalle than normal :?

Lexie has been like this on and off for a couple of days now but Im pretty sure hers is down to her pasteurella playing up. As HS says, there is normally an underlying reason for these things.....Im keeping a VERY close eye on Lex as her poo's are smalle than normal :?

i have noticed a few small poos but amongst smaller sized ones, is this something to be worried about?

It can be an indication that all is not right in the gut, GI stasis normally developes over a few days.

I have meds on standby the minute Lexie refuses her food, she dosn't want to leave her cage today but thus far her gut feels ok.

as soon as he was quiet last night i though GI stasis but i felt his tummy it was normal i masaged it gently just incase.

its straight off to vet for suspected GI isnt it?

The problem is unless they havn't stopped eating/toileting most vets just think you are being paranoid :? I would keep a very close eye on him and the minute he isn't interested in food give the vets a ring. If you still feel something is wrong getting him a late eveining appointment may prevent an emergency trip later on.

The problem is unless they havn't stopped eating/toileting most vets just think you are being paranoid :? I would keep a very close eye on him and the minute he isn't interested in food give the vets a ring. If you still feel something is wrong getting him a late eveining appointment may prevent an emergency trip later on.

thanks sooz, he began eating/drinking again about 2am so i am going to keep a close eye on his behaviour and poos!

he is with his daytime mummy at the moment i am ringing every hour (i think she is getting annoyed as she did say any changes she will call work!:oops:)

i might get his VHD booster done a little earlier and get vet to do a check for everything else and i will chat about my concerns, thanks again:wave::)

Back