• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaner Rabbit Bedding?!?!?

Kibbles

Mama Doe
M'kay, now I'm just utterly fed up with his bedding which is straw and hay; it just annoys me how unclean it is, and how I can never know where he poops because it goes under it. :shock:
Are there any other good beddings? I don't really mean loose things like woodshavings etc, but I know some of you use blanket-type things??

I have my rabbit hutches bare (although I've put a handful of hay on the floor for them to sit on as it's winter) and give them a huge underbed box with the hay and megazorb in, which they snuggle down into when it's cold, and which is big enough that they don't mess on the hay at the front of the box - they back up to the end of the box where it's just megazorb so they always have lots of dry hay to lie on (in fact they have 2 - one upstairs and one downstairs) Maa won't mess in her hay box though so she has a small cat litter tray with just a handful of megazorb in, next to her hay box - there's not much floor space left as it's only a 2x4 hutch, but she has upstairs to spawl out in. Makes cleaning out VERY easy! :D

I use litter trays with woodshavings in at the moment, but I'll be soon switching over to megazorb for their litter trays. I also use vet bed as it's comfy to lie on, absorbs moisture so doesn't get wet when any accidents happen and is very easy to clean, just chuck it in the wash.
You can get it at pets at home and loads of places online. Though a lot of people use pro fleece as it's basically the same, but cheaper if you want bigger pieces. http://www.profleece.com/

M'kay, now I'm just utterly fed up with his bedding which is straw and hay; it just annoys me how unclean it is, and how I can never know where he poops because it goes under it. :shock:
Are there any other good beddings? I don't really mean loose things like woodshavings etc, but I know some of you use blanket-type things??

hi

i use vetbed...... brill stuff :D ... although if your bun isnt potty trained it mite not be a good idea as you will be washing it every day... lol :D:D:D

hi mine are litter trained they have a large corner litter tray which they use in this i use a layer of newspaper... then wood baased litter that is for rabbits and then put hay in one corner for some reason they like to eat while they poo?!! the rest of thier hutch is covered in straw and hay which they like and do not soil oh and they also have 2 small towels which are their blankeys.

I have rubber mats down in the main part of the hutch for insulation and a big box full of straw to snuggle in. I used to fill the hutch right up with straw but it was messy and expensive to change every day and they couldnt really hop about freely, this works much better.

Mine are litter trained too. Its great becuase they rarely poo in the hutch. I keep them all in a big run and each hutch has a catflap so they really only spend time in there when its very cold. I do use the straw and shavings for thick comfy bedding but the mess is minimal. I bought the big cat litter trays too because they are comfier to sit in and these bunnies can poo for Scotland.

Mine are carpeted:oops: Both buns are litter trained and Flopsy wouldn't take to having stray and hay everywhere. They have two litter trays with Bio-catolet in with their hay and they do their business in them.

Very easy to clean.:D

Last edited:
Somone on here recommended Ikea mats for 99p and they're washable.

These are working really well for me as the hutch is 6ft long and was taking me ages to clean every day. Plus Duggie has EC and his symptoms are worse when he's stressed and he doesn't like me cleaning out the hutch. The mats only take a few seconds to change or tidy.

The buns decided the bedroom compartment was the toilet so this has a large litter tray with wood pellets/shavings and a layer of short dust extracted straw. Plus a folded mat with snugglesafes at night.

They also have a Wilkinson's plastic dog basket in the corner of the hutch filled with straw (which they don't mess in because it isn't in the bedroom) with a snugglesafe at night.

This is making cleaning much quicker and easier. :D

Thank you!! I cant litter train him yet as he's not neutered yet, and because I'm in a different country for a week so my sister is taking care of him.

Another thing, though. When I first got him, my friend who gave him to me told me that you dont have to clean rabbits hutches for a long time; they stay clean. Foolish was I to believe THAT!!! And I'm ashamed to confess that because of this little word of advice, Starsky went three months without his hutch being cleaned. As a result, he's now got a big area in one corner of his hutch soaked in urine, because it's the particular corner he poops/pees in. My mum thinks that it'll rot the hutch; Is there any way of cleaning it? I thought of just mopping it up but when we cleaned out Starsky's hutch then the bedding was just scooped all out and then fresh bedding was put in, without cleaning up anything. He's going to have a HUUUGE change in his hutch when I get back home. :shock:
... Well, I've still got to get profleece and get him neutered and such.... but yeah, that'll probably be... erm... the fourth cleanout? :oops:

Never again will I take advice from someone my own age on how to take care of animals.(How sad...) :shock:

Its best to start litter training him now, all bunnies tend to go in one corner which is where you pop the litter tray, i litter trained my bunnies before they were neutered, he may have a few accidents and will probably poo everywhere still but you'll find he will still go back to the same place to wee. It makes it much easier to clean him out. As for the hutch, get some small animal safe disinfectant spray and lots of hot water and give it a good scrub, do this in the morning on a sunny day and put in the sun to dry, they in the evening put the bedding in. Other it will rot the hutch, it needs to dry out after you've cleaned it. Def dont listen to your friends if they are going to advice you terrible things like that. My bunnies litter trays are cleaned everyday!! The bedding they dont poo or wee in so thats changed weekly with the old hay removed in the week if on the floor uneaten. They have there utility room swept out everyday aswell.

Thank you!! I cant litter train him yet as he's not neutered yet, and because I'm in a different country for a week so my sister is taking care of him.

Another thing, though. When I first got him, my friend who gave him to me told me that you dont have to clean rabbits hutches for a long time; they stay clean. Foolish was I to believe THAT!!! And I'm ashamed to confess that because of this little word of advice, Starsky went three months without his hutch being cleaned. As a result, he's now got a big area in one corner of his hutch soaked in urine, because it's the particular corner he poops/pees in. My mum thinks that it'll rot the hutch; Is there any way of cleaning it? I thought of just mopping it up but when we cleaned out Starsky's hutch then the bedding was just scooped all out and then fresh bedding was put in, without cleaning up anything. He's going to have a HUUUGE change in his hutch when I get back home. :shock:
... Well, I've still got to get profleece and get him neutered and such.... but yeah, that'll probably be... erm... the fourth cleanout? :oops:

Never again will I take advice from someone my own age on how to take care of animals.(How sad...) :shock:

I'm amazed your nose didn't tell you your friend's advice was rubbish - it must have stunk and been alive with flies surely? It will rot the hutch if it hasn't already (better check the floor's not weakened too much there)

I think you'll find if you put a big underbed storage box (not a small cat litter tray) in this corner that's wet, he'll litter train himself even though he's not neutered, simply because he'll want to sit in the box to eat the hay that's put in the box twice a day - especially if there's no hay elsewhere in his hutch at first. None of my girls are spayed and they're all litter trained, although I've heard boys spray sometimes.

Its best to start litter training him now, all bunnies tend to go in one corner which is where you pop the litter tray, i litter trained my bunnies before they were neutered, he may have a few accidents and will probably poo everywhere still but you'll find he will still go back to the same place to wee. It makes it much easier to clean him out. As for the hutch, get some small animal safe disinfectant spray and lots of hot water and give it a good scrub, do this in the morning on a sunny day and put in the sun to dry, they in the evening put the bedding in. Other it will rot the hutch, it needs to dry out after you've cleaned it. Def dont listen to your friends if they are going to advice you terrible things like that. My bunnies litter trays are cleaned everyday!! The bedding they dont poo or wee in so thats changed weekly with the old hay removed in the week if on the floor uneaten. They have there utility room swept out everyday aswell.
Well, I have started, but he seems to direct his poo just outside the box, even though its his regular corner. :oops:

Elve, when they told me that it was when I first got Starsky, so I was new to rabbits; still, I hang my head in shame to think about it.
Surprisingly, there weren't any flies or anything; it looked relatively clean-ish on the top apart from his poop and the food he kicked out of his bowl.

Back