• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is this info correct?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
Hay is the MOST important part of a rabbit's diet. It makes up 90% of what they should be fed daily. Hay is important for two main reasons 1) the shorter strands keep rabbit's teeth worn down 2) the 100% fibre content keeps the digestive system clean and running smoothly.

There are many differant types of hay such as Timothy, Meadow, Herbal, Oxbow, Orchard Grass, Barley, Oat.....they each have very differant textures. Make sure the hay is sweet smelling and free of dust. Mouldy hay has nasty spores which cause respiritory infections if inhaled.

Some hays have more protein in such as alfalfa, which is only suitable for young rabbits, pregnant does or does feeding a litter.

Hi I was just wondering if the above info was correct?

Yeah, apart from the 100% fiber content bit, it has other nutrients in it too. Isn't that from Rabbiting On?

Also Mycotoxins are dangerous if consumed as well as inhaled.

no, I just wrote it on my website, i'll edit the 100% bit :)
and i'll edit the the inhaling bit

Last edited:
Yeah, apart from the 100% fiber content bit, it has other nutrients in it too. Isn't that from Rabbiting On?

Also Mycotoxins are dangerous if consumed as well as inhaled.

Sorry nothing to do with hay but you just reminded me I have my copy of rabbiting on and havent read it yet :shock: :lol:

I think that's true but I do know one thing and that is that it is not good to let your bunnies sleep on hay,they can pick up mites from it so straw is just as comfy:)

I think that's true but I do know one thing and that is that it is not good to let your bunnies sleep on hay,they can pick up mites from it so straw is just as comfy:)

:wave: My buns have always slept in hay and dont have mites :D Also I rather they sleep in hay because its softer than straw x

really? i thought straw was bad as it pokes their eyes as they burrow in it? I thought hay was better?
no I meant the shorter starnds, I'm sure I heard that somewhere?

It needs to be Barley straw for them to sleep in. I use it as bedding for all my bunnies.

Good hay should be free from mites though so that shouldnt be a concern.

ok, so is this better?
Hay is the MOST important part of a rabbit's diet. It makes up 90% of what they should be fed daily. Hay is important for two main reasons 1) the longer strands keep rabbit's teeth worn down 2) the high fibre content keeps the digestive system clean and running smoothly.

There are many differant types of hay such as Timothy, Meadow, Herbal, Oxbow, Orchard Grass, Barley, Oat.....they each have very differant textures. Make sure the hay is sweet smelling and free of dust. Mouldy hay has nasty spores which cause respiritory infections if inhaled and they can also make a rabbit ill if eaten.

Some hays have more protein in such as alfalfa, which is only suitable for young rabbits, pregnant does or does feeding a litter.

does anyone mind if I run a few more things by them before i publish them on my website?

I would probably say that alfalfa is not to be fed regularly, as a small amount to an older bunny won't cause a problem as a treat x

i always thought it was better for younger rabbits as they need more protein?

how is this?

Pellets are the best food to feed as they contain all the minerals and nutrients needed in a compact pellet, but they need to be a good brand. They must have a minimum of 14% fibre and should have about 12% protein.

Pellets prevent selective feeding which is when a rabbit picks out the pieces of food (in a mix) it wants and leaves the rest, resulting in an un-balanced diet.

Rabbit advice/help sheet!

I think this forum should design a help/advice sheet/s , as I would be happy to run a load off and try persuade petshops/garden centres to give to anyone who purchases a rabbit. Obviously put this forum website on their too so they can get help and advice!

Was in garden centre on Saturday getting Bunnies hay and a lady purchased a rabbit for her kid and she asked the girl if the small bags that you can get of roughly 325gms of SS would last the rabbit for 2 weeks, the girl just looked at her to scared to say no so I piped up and cramed a load of info down her throat as quick as I could! The lady buying the rabbit said thankyou but in a sarcastic, ****** off way!:censored::censored::censored:

Back