• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rescue bunny update - it is worse than i feared

lucy pepsi

Warren Scout
Picked up Dexter (well i had to call him something, and yes 'it' is definately a him!) and found him in a different hutch that was filthy with no food and water. The wound on his back is worse than i feared and is oozing puss as i type.

Took him straight to the vet for an emergency appointment. he is skin and bone. He is a largeish x-breed and at about 5 months old weighs in at 1.4kg - there is nothing of him.

The vet gave him an injection of painkillers/anti-inflamatory and has sent me home with baytril to be given 3 times a day.

We also have hibiscrub for cleaning the wounds 3 times a day and fibreplex to be fed via syringe 3 times a day.

I have made an 'intensive care bunny unit in my bedroom and put him in there to settle a bit. The vet suggested plenty of hay/roughage and the fibreplex and only a few pellets for a day or so - how does that sound to everyone? I just gave him a bit of brocolli and he tucked in like he has never seen food before in his life which must be a good sign?!!!

Back to vet saturday morning...

Please send this poor little mite all your healing vibes - he could really use them!

p.s if i take some photo's could anyone post them on here for me???!
hibiscrub

If he has never eaten greens before dotn give them to him for now, brocolli is a particularly bad one for causing bloat in sensitive rabbits.

Well done for getting him out.

i just gave him a tiny floret:?

i was a bit worried about his tummy so didnt give much - am relieved that it tempted him though!!!

what would you all suggest feeding? I have not had a really poorly bun before so any advice would be much appreciated!

Aww, bless him, sounds like he's had a rough time! At least he's in good hands now. Lots of healing vibes on their way to Dexter.

Vic x

good advice from the vet, so long as you have nice quality hay for him to eat - hope the poor boy is well soon :)

What food was he having previously, was it a muesli mix? Rabbit diets, particularly in juniors, need to be changed slowly as they are easily upset and at risk of bloat, GI stasis, Enteritis and Coccidia to name a few.

Lots of good quality hay would be a good start, well soaked porridge oats slightly warmed are also good for weight gain.

ETA- As I have not made it clear in my speed typing frenzy, do not start with the porridge for a few days at least as this too may upset his gut, especially if he is dehydrated.

Last edited:
Well done for getting him out Lucy, he is a lucky lad. I too agree with your vet, if he's not used to food and veg then take everything slowly, and like you have been doing, give him plently of hay. The last thing he needs on top of everything else is an upset tummy.

Some people are just too :censored: :censored: for words. The last lot of 17buns that came into Fat Fluffs were the result of a mother letting her 12year old daughter look after them :evil:

I asked her for some food on sunday when i picked up marley (couldnt live with pepsi so i over-ruled the kids and changed it!). She just shrugged an said they just get hay or 'whatever'!!!:censored:
Not quality hay either, but stuff that the cows get :censored:

What would i need to do with the porridge oats? soak them over night? or cook them like porridge?!! then let them cool?!!!

Well done for getting Dexter out into a safe place where he can get treated.

In your post you say
She just shrugged an said they just get hay or 'whatever'!!!:censored:
Not quality hay either, but stuff that the cows get :censored:

I am a little confused about this. The reason I am confused is that ARC buys bales of hay which originate at a farm which also has milking cows, it is lovely green, sweet smelling hay, ARC rabbits love it and I would guess the cows at the farm eat lots of it over the winter. Could you clarify what is wrong with the type of hay that cows eat.

Yes the poor love is probably dehydrated and fluids are really important for gut motility. Do keep an eye on his drinking and weeing habits though to make sure they are not excessive over an extended period of time.

Thanks everyone. I just gave him his meds and cleaned him up properly now that he has had a bit of time to settle and he was such a good boy - he seems to know i am trying to help him - and he seems to LOVE being syringe fed!

As for the hay comment - sorry - i didnt mean to offend! The thing is that she uses the same supplier as i do for hay/shavings etc for my horse. I have to pay extra for small bales when i could pay for a HUGE bale that would save me a fortune. The huge bales are dry, dusty and i would only feed them to my horse if there was no other option whereas the small bales are lovely! All from the same people - they have the huge bales and it just isnt what is in my opinion QUALITY hay! I think they bale it at different times of year or something - i don't know! But anyway, didn't mean to generalize!;)

XXX

I'd introduce (slowly) him to rabbits pellets for junior rabbits and pregnant does who need extra nourishment as this helps build up weight.
For poorly or skinny bunnies I also like to use porridge oats, pellets and a little bit of mushed up banana mixed with some water and put in the microwave so they pellets and oats absorb as much water as they can. Then once it's cooled down you can give it to bun.

Oh gosh, have you reported this woman to the rspca? Id take pics of your little bunny and of the wounds as evidence, think she needs to be stopped from keeping rabbits like this!

It's probably a good idea to give him very small portions of appropriate veg, he probable isnt used to getting it so i emphasise small, maybe cut up a carrot and see how he gets on with a couple of slices.

You are right about the hay too, my horses have the best hay, dusty hay is such a pain and my rabbits my horses hay they turn their nose up at the meadow hay from pet shops!

I put pro-biotic in my rabbits water once a day, they love it, it tastes really nice so they do drink more and its good for them. You can get it as a powder from pet stores.

Fingers crossed for your little boy!! x

Just thought I would write a quick update!

I got up several times throught the night to check on Dexter and he is eating / drinking / peeing and pooping well!

He had a good hop around his dog crate this morning when I woke up and came to say hello. I can not believe how friendly he is despite the hidious pain he must be in :cry:

Things so far are looking good though and the infected wound is freely leaking pus in between cleanings so at least i know the stuff is coming out even if it is gross and it stinks :shock: yuk

Back