• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Surprize babies... HELP!!!

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
Boo has had surprize babies today... Well I kinda suspected but anyway...

She has made a nest but the babies are poking out of the top, will they be ok??? I'm worried they will get cold is there anything i can give her to make a bigger nest??

Thanks Jos

Last edited:
Can you tell if the babies are alive? You should not touch the babies or the nest, yet, but if there is a dead one, you should remove it. Rub your hands with Boo's poo before you go near the nest.
I am not sure if they make the nest bigger once they have given birth, but I'd make sure that there is always enough fresh hay available, more than what you normally give her.
Where is the dad of the little ones?

Hi

Yes i have not touched them, there seems to be 4 or more and as far as i can see they are all fat pink and wriggly.

I have given her tons of fresh hay this evening.

The dad is in the hutch next door and has been neutered!!! (along with his firend) It was truely an accident. She lives with a sterile netherland male, she seems to be pleased he is there and he has no interest in the babies, do you think it is ok to leave him there? (he is tiny and very quite and nice natured.)

Thanks for the help

PS i have amazing homes for any babies so no need to worry about unwanted buns plus i will keep some too.

It happened about 2 days before they were due to go the the vets. I opening the door to get the boys bowl and naughty humprey literally jumped over my arm out and under the hutch they went, they were under there for a mater of seconds as naturally i got a stick to poek them out... well this is the consequence. And i am pleased as my best friend who has a lone buck and is moving in to a new house with a big garden and huge shed is going to have some. xxx

HELLo 53 people have read this thread and only 2 can reply???

I know you are all so against breeding but are you that cold hearted you cannot help out some poor little day old baby bunnies???

I am no monster for letting my bun have some babies, after all this is all they think about. And right now i could do with some advise which i'm quite sure some of you can help with.

Make sure the babies are all moving, and none are dead, but don't touch them, if you do the mother may reject them.

make sure the mother has plenty of food, hay,water...Basicly make sure everthing is ok within the hutch!:D

Good Luck! x

my advice dont interfere :thumb: if theres more then one baby they will help keep each other warm and obviously the nest will also keep them warm sadly you cant do much at this stage because if you touch the nest at all Boo may reject her babies tomorrow you will need to check the babies see if their being fed count and check for dead babies to do this rub your hands in her dirty pile.

one peace of advice though make sure the babies cant crawl out of the nest you hear of this happening to many times place something at the bottom of the doorway of the nest so mum can still access but babies cant get out. if that makes any sense :oops:

whether this was planned or not i dont really care the babies are here now and no one has the right to judge you, i let Crystal have babies when she was younger and although i told everyone it was an accident i secretly wanted her to have babies anyway so i never stopped my buck Smudge when Crystal kicked the lid off his cage :oops: i wont judge you hun and i hope people on here will give you the advice you need :)

I wish I could help you I really do, I would just try not to disturb it and keep and eye on her and make sure she seems like she can cope!! I wish you the best of luck!!!! xx

Mine had a litter of 6 babies 4 weeks ago friday i would take the male out best to be safe then sorry

Give her plenty of hay she will make sure they are warm my two are really really good mothers

Hope all goes well i would not handle them unless you need too also i would make sure you have got two more hutches to put the babies in too for when they are older

HELLo 53 people have read this thread and only 2 can reply???

I know you are all so against breeding but are you that cold hearted you cannot help out some poor little day old baby bunnies???

I am no monster for letting my bun have some babies, after all this is all they think about. And right now i could do with some advise which i'm quite sure some of you can help with.

TBH I don't think its because people are against you.
I have just read this thread but wasn't going to reply as I have no experience of babies and I am sure a lot of other people are the same!
Hope to see pics when they are older :)

Thankyou guys, thanks Crystal. I too really wanted Boo to have babies but this actually was an accident I had decided it was best not but this happened and here they are and loved they all will be all their lives. I will not sleep tonight thinking about them. I have put some cut up fleece in the hutch in case she wishes to use that in her nest, she sat on it!!!! I held a mirror above the nest (the hutch is so huge and they are at the back i can barely reach!!) I can see about 6 i think and all moving. i hope they make it through this chilly night!!! :?

when rehoming them (which will be hard lol) get the new owners to sign a contract you can type one up yourself for them to sign basically saying that if for any reason they need to rehome the rabbit the rabbit comes back to you this way you'll stop the babies frombeing dumped into a rescue a few years down the line :) if you want any advice dont be afraid to ask il help you to the best of my knoledge.

TBH I don't think its because people are against you.
I have just read this thread but wasn't going to reply as I have no experience of babies and I am sure a lot of other people are the same!
Hope to see pics when they are older :)

Yeh thats what I thought, lots of members dont have experience with babies. Have you done a search? Might help until someone with advice can answer x

I have done loads of research (i have a very boring job!!) and everyone is confirming what i already know.

I have had guinea pig babies and they are just so well adapted for life with their furry coats and eyes and ears open to start with. The poor little buns look so vunerable and I know i will feel awful if they do not survive.

Are you all sure there isn't anything i can do to make them warmer?

I took a pic as it was the best way to see them clearly without going near them.
DSC02130.jpg

DSC02128.jpg

xxx

Wow you shall have to show some pics asap!! What breeds are they?? x

The mum is a beautiful black and white butterfly lionhead and the dad is a bit of an ugly duckling (I rescued him for a life of horridness) small/meduim black lop (I have a gorgeous mini lop orange buck who is the black ones best mate and they were both neutered at the same time but he sadly is not the dad... :cry: :lol:) xxx

That nest looks fine. The mother may pull out more fur later to add to it. I presume they are in a hutch? If so you can keep them warmer by covering the outside of the hutch to insultate it (leave gaps for ventilation) particularly at night. They will develop very quickly. In a few days they'll have velvet like fur and by 12 days they'll look something like mini rabbits with their eyes open.

The best thing is just to leave me to it. She'll look after them :)

Tamsin

Well they look fat and healthy to me, just keep an eye on them over the next few weeks, make sure mum has lots of food, hay and water. Hopefully you shouldn't need to interfere at all as mummy bunny will do everything and there are enough babies to keep each other warm.

Might be best to take the male out, he probably won't cause any harm but if mum bun gets territorial she may attack him.

Back