• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Summer House for Rabbits Questions about Sheds

Brennan

Alpha Buck
Weather permitted this weekend me & the boy are going to convert our wooden playhouse in our garden into a summer pad for the bunny(s)

I have looked at the thread on housing and feel very inspired so I have some questions for existing Shed/house ppl

The windows are perspex and not very secure - would you recommend covering them with mesh ? I mean we have lots of cats around so I worry about them being able to get in the shed...

Does the inside need anything to warm it the thing is my bun is a house rabbit so he is not going to be used to the cold - but if it is a summer house would he need something to warm it?

If I attach a run to the side for them to have access to do I need to put anything in the ground to stop them/things digging to get in or out of the run

it's very exciting I am looking for some 'before' photos to show everyone

Last edited:
Hi Carly.

I have recently converted a donated wendy house into rabbit accommodation.

I would suggest to you to take out the perspex and add the weld mesh. Then if you can, why not make weather screens out of the old perspex, which of course will fit perfectly. You could make frames for the perspex or, as I have done, use the decorative cross shaped mdf panels and stick the perspex to them.

I decided to add a double skin to the inside of mine by putting silver insulation bubble wrap (Wickes or Screwfix) and then screwing a skin or lining of ply over the top. Lastly, I put down lino, and ran it up the walls making it easier to wipe down.

I also made a mesh inner door so that when it gets warm, I can open the main door and my buns can see out. Easy enough to do.

I have also spent the day today making the paved area to the side for the run and will be making that on Thursday. You can add a run and use the existing front door if your layout permits or add a cat flap.

Here's a photo of where I am to date.

Good luck with your conversion, I am sure you'll have fun doing it.

Helen
IMG_0323.jpg

Thats brilliant - exactly what I was planning

Any reason why you are using paving for the run? is it to stop bunnies from digging out>?

I want to pave because it will be to the side of the wendy house, which was until today, a flower bed. It will stop them digging out but I also find it easier to keep clean. Some of my existing buns can't resist pooing in the run and when it's on the grass it is very problematic keeping it sanitary. I also think that it's great in all weathers, unlike my run on the grass, which has ended up being off limits for quite a number of days this winter.

Also, my blue eyed boy can sometimes get an icky tummy if he eats too much grass. I find with paving I can brush it down, disinfect and keep it tidy more easily. It also takes a moment to do and doesn't cost too much. I also think that it helps to keep the nails shorter naturally. I have to say that both of my buns don't suffer from sore hocks so it's a good solution for them; it might not be for other bunnies.

Hope that doesn't throw you a curve!

No it is all brilliant info :)

At the moment we have lots of space at the side of the House, it is currently grass but I like all the ideas you have given for the run - it seems very practical ;)

I am gathering all this info to make the house very cosy :D what about inside - sorry to be so nosey are you putting shelves up ?

i like the idea of the insulation as well I do worry about the cold

This is mine (inside and out)

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

The run has changed now, it has new chicken wire and is straighter! The buns love it though!

I have put a shelf up, but I am a bit sad, because it's a bookshelf and the previous resident, my lovely Edison, had the whole selection of Agatha Christie, a Brio wooden train set, a teddy bear and some Beatrix Potter books, which I used to go and read to him! (The wendy house is called the Reading Room - doh!)

No that I have moved him to a different hutch set up in the garden, pending him being bonded, I will probably take it down.

I am going to put a second floor up though because unless the door is open, the buns don't get to see outside unless they are outside. Gemima, who will be living in it with her new man, used to sit up on top of a cardboard box to get the sunshine on her fluff when the door was shut. It'll only be a shelf so that they have extra space underneath and a bit of light above. I'll PM you when I finish it on Thursday!

Here's another picture. I have taken out the shrubs to the right as you look at it today and that's where the paving is. I need to organise a tunnel through the skin of the wendy house too.

IMG_0289.jpg
[/IMG]

I have put a shelf up, but I am a bit sad, because it's a bookshelf and the previous resident, my lovely Edison, had the whole selection of Agatha Christie, a Brio wooden train set, a teddy bear and some Beatrix Potter books, which I used to go and read to him! (The wendy house is called the Reading Room - doh!)

No that I have moved him to a different hutch set up in the garden, pending him being bonded, I will probably take it down.

I am going to put a second floor up though because unless the door is open, the buns don't get to see outside unless they are outside. Gemima, who will be living in it with her new man, used to sit up on top of a cardboard box to get the sunshine on her fluff when the door was shut. It'll only be a shelf so that they have extra space underneath and a bit of light above. I'll PM you when I finish it on Thursday!

Here's another picture. I have taken out the shrubs to the right as you look at it today and that's where the paving is. I need to organise a tunnel through the skin of the wendy house too.

I cannot wait to see it x

Just wanted to post a before picture

2261891909_61f68e7b99.jpg

I have decided to paint it red and green, and plant fresh herbs in the 'pots' we are going to put paving along the side to make than a nice 'run' and put a cat flap in the side... I am also going to redo the windows with mesh and put a sturdy lock on the front door

I think I will make some shelves and ramps for them as well

Wish me luck :lol:

:D Inspired by this Playhouse thread Ive managed to finish mine off. Ive decided against shelves as a suitable hutch came in with a rescue which makes a shelf and a hidey hole all in one :D The door on the hutch is never shut and above are carpet mats and a basket of hay. Ive made the wire door today :shock: suprised myself with my DIY skills :lol: Slabbed the run area ready for the cat flap to be put in for the run. I may even make a bigger run now Ive found my carpentry skills ;) Inside the Playhouse is Henry a lovely foster bunny :D

Outside

abun217.jpg

New wire door :D for ventilation.

abun220.jpg

abun208.jpg

Inside

abun211.jpg

abun209.jpg

Run area hoping to build one bigger, waiting to put in cat flap ;)

abun219.jpg

Steph I love what you have done!

Hiya Carly. I really like your wendy house and I would be so excited if it was me going to get my hands on it!

I nearly finished doing everything today. I got the run almost completed. I just have to put battens around the roofing felt, attach the roof by hinges on the wendy house and I will be there. The worst bit for me was making the hole through the side wall because it was double thickness and I didn't want to have to take it all apart to do it. Still, Henry and Gemsy are in there and seem to be loving it. I haven't done the shelf yet as I ran out of time but that's planned for Sunday.

Have great fun doing yours!

Here are a few pics

How it looks from the front
IMG_0853.jpg

Side wall
IMG_0849.jpg

Rabbit Flap
IMG_0852.jpg

Mesh door closure
IMG_0850.jpg

Lastly - the book shelf - no I wasn't kidding!
IMG_0851.jpg

Yep - I am sad aren't I?

It was supposed to be a bit like a little parlour! Guess who has got too much time on her hands.....

Aww. I might get one for mine Lol...
They once saw themselves in a mirror, and they were trying to lick themselves...

They looked so cute! x

Back