• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pneumonia

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. My BF has called me to say his dad took their rabbit to the vets this morning as she was struggling to breathe. They've diagnosed Pneumonia. She's had pain relief and antibiotics, and been told to keep her indoors. She's to go back again tomorrow.

I'm assuming they will give her more antibiotics tomorrow as they didn't give him any to bring home. Because it was his dad who took her, he went to a different vets than I usually do (don't think he knew I'd registered her at mine). I don't know what this vets is like in terms of being rabbit savvy, but I'm off tomorrow so will definately be going with them.

What else can we do in the meantime, she's being kept in, I'm taking some hopefully tempting treats to her later to keep her eating (although being indoors may put her off her food more.) She doesn't have a friend as we lost her about a year ago. She's around 8 years old. Is there any chance that it could be anything other than pneumonia?

I've read before of rabbits with myxo being given vapourisers to help clear their breathing, would this help here too? I asked about a chest x ray, and he said she hadn't had one. What else can we expect? This is something I've not come across before.

Thanks

Keri

Back