• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly rescue bunny is coming tonight - any advice?

lucy pepsi

Warren Scout
Some of you will have seen the threads about this situation yesterday. For those of you who didn't some very kind people on this forum have offered to help and give the baby a new home.

I will be picking him/her up this evening - I can't collect bun any earlier as the girls mum is at work. This means I will have the baby at home overnight until his vets appt first thing in the morning.

He has numerous bite wounds, the worst of which is infected now. The puss is draining out on its own though which is something at least. I spoke to the vet this morning and they are not able to give me any treatmentsfor this evening until they have seen the rabbit:( so have advised that i clean the wounds with a mild warm saline solution and make sure he eats and drinks overnight.

He will be indoors so I can keep a close eye on him.

Does anyone have any further advice? I want to do everything i can to make him as comfortable as possible and give him the best chance of recovery.

Thank you in advance!
Lucy x

If he is that badly wounded he should be taken to an emergency vet, its very odd that your vet is making you wait till the morning with such serious wounds, time is vital, bite wounds that are infected are incrediably dangerous, ive lost 2 lops in the past to this with alot of vet input. If you really cant get the bunny seen by any vet before, just keep it warm and bath the wounds in warm sterilised salt water or saline. The oozing wound should be kept open, dont let it scab over as you say the puss must be able to come out. I really hope your bun gets through this :( good luck

If it is in pain, it may stop eating and then it will go down ill very quickly - is there any chance it can be got before tonight - it is really urgent to get to a vet as soon as possible for it to have a chance.
If you last saw it at the weekend it may already be too late:cry:

Sue x

Thanks nursecroft. I have just called the vets back and explained the situation again to them. They are going to stay behind tonight and see the rabbit at 6.:D I will have to drive like the clappers!

Fingers crossed for this poorly babe xxx

Back