• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diabetes

norrielian

Mama Doe
Morning :wave:

I took Dillon to the vets last night to get him checked over after losing Pippa and the vet was asking lots of questions about Pippa i.e. eating, drinking and weeing habits. She said she suspects Pippa had diabetes.

Does anyone know anything about this. The vet said that its not easy to diagnose in rabbits or treat.

Lian x

aww I have heard of it - sadly my cat has diabetes (not the same I know) and my vet and I were discussing it in bunnies... I will say it's hard to cope with my kitty :cry:

I hope you get someone with more info x x

aww I have heard of it - sadly my cat has diabetes (not the same I know) and my vet and I were discussing it in bunnies... I will say it's hard to cope with my kitty :cry:

I hope you get someone with more info x x

Thanks and sorry about your cat although my vet said its much easier to treat in cats. Now that the vet mentioned it and the signs, I guess they were there for Pippa but its difficult to tell if one rabbit is drinking, eating and peeing more than the other when they are kept together. When I got her she was majorly overweight and even though she lost some with me, she still carried some weight. She had a bad start to life including a bad diet so I'm guessing that was the cause. Bless her x

Diabetes is very rare in rabbits and can only to me knowledge be treated through diet as they cannot receive insulin. Even the internet has hardly any information on the subject.

Kidney/liver failure is normally what rabbits with EC die from in the end, it also manifests in excessive drinking/urination/weightloss, symptoms associated with diabetes in other species.

Try not to worry to much at moment, they thought my house bunny was diabetic, they ran some tests and he had a high protein count in his urine, word of warning if you have never had to get a sample from your rabbit...good luck sitting waiting for him to go. :p
Thankfully they give him so antibiotics which seemed to make him better after his second lot so it might be the same with your bun, fingers crossed xx

Try not to worry to much at moment, they thought my house bunny was diabetic, they ran some tests and he had a high protein count in his urine, word of warning if you have never had to get a sample from your rabbit...good luck sitting waiting for him to go. :p
Thankfully they give him so antibiotics which seemed to make him better after his second lot so it might be the same with your bun, fingers crossed xx

Norrielians bunny Pippa sadly died not long ago :cry:

I *think* kidney problems are often caused by excess calcium (as well as EC). Did she have sludgy wee or bladder problems?

Not that I noticed at the time, but now that Dillon is on his own, I can tell a huge difference in the litter tray. It is so much cleaner. It used to be full of wee every day :cry: Its so difficult monitoring individual buns when they are paired.

Back