• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

E cuniculi - ways of infecting

toffee

Mama Doe
All my 8 rabbits have been treated with panacur because Zinzan had head tilt. I'm worried because I have so many rabbits that there will be a reinfection.

If everybun has been panacur'ed is there any way E cuniculi would be reintroduced? I mean can I pass it on by handling other rabbits?

In adult rabbits its feacal-oral contact so they have to eat something that contains a spore which has been placed there after being excreted in feaces or urine.

Baby kits can contract EC through the placenta if their mum is a carrier. How long a course did they all get?

Michelle, Piccolo, Wallace, Oliver, Melanie, Prince all got 9 days as it says on the packet. Ted and Zinzan are still being treated because Zinzan was the infected rabbit.

As long as the equiptment was not being used between cages and bleach was being used to kill the shed spores and you were wearing gloves when handling their soiled litter it should be OK, but remember chances are statistically 4 of your 8 have already been in contact with EC at some point in their lives.

I get that. But what are the chances of them exhibiting sympyoms after treatment?

Also, I'm sure that some of my crew will have pastuerella because Michelle had Pastuerella related pneumonia a while back. But, what are the chances of them being seriously affected by it?

Also, Sooz, i wonder if you could answer my question about whether I can have Melanie spayed straight after a cpurse of Ivermectin for a rather nasty mite infection? God I've got a big family!!!

A 6 week course should be zero unless its damage thats irreversable and has already been done OR they are reinfected from another source a few months later. 9 days, well, if they were already carrying then it will basically do sod all but it will protect a non-carrier from contracting EC for a few monthsish.

Pasteurella can be asymptomatic like EC without them ever developing issues. Its most likely to come on under stress but reserch suggests rabbits are born predisposed to it and its not as contagious as previously thought.

She can be speyed alongside Ivermectin however mites are prone to flare up under stress or when the imune system is compromised so often rabbits who have had mites previously will catch them again after an op.

The research on EC treatment is still a bit sketchy. Depending on who you talk to, some vets think that there is no way of getting rid of it altogether - you just dampen down the infection by treating it every time it comes back. Any signs of it coming back and get down your vet as soon as possible. For example, weight loss, back leg weakness, incontinence, eye ulcers, head tilt... A lot of things that can also have other causes, but could also indicate EC re-occurrence.

P.S. I know this because I have EC in my indoor group from time to time. The good news is it hasn't passed on to either of my outdoors pairs (they have been blood tested fairly recently).

From what I've read (and heard from my vet), Panacur controls EC rather than eradicates it. Therefore it can become a problem in the future and further Panacur might be necessary. That's certainly my experience.

They both have the active ingrediant Fenbendazole its just Lapizole is aniseed flavoured. So if Panacur wont do it neither will Lapizole.

i agree with whats been said about the Panacur just controllling the infection. Mine were successfully treated for 6 weeks with Panacur when one got lots of symptoms of EC. The symptoms are coming back again despite all the bleaching and raising of food from the ground etc. It could of course be reinfection, but I suppose we'll never know.

At least I know what to do this time :) Rolo is already looking better after only being on the Panacur so far for a week this time round.

Back