• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unwell rabbit - advice please

RT

Young Bun
Hello

a couple of weeks ago our rabbit had to have her teeth ground down as she had an abscess

All has been well until tonight when she was grinding her teeth again. The vet prescribed some metacam solution and antibiotics which we have given her but there is no improvement.

How quickly will the metacam work? when she has had metacam injections the effect has been almost instant so we are worried that after 30 minutes there is no improvement

Many thanks

Has your Rabbit poo'd?
Did the Vet examin your Rabbit's abdomen?
What antibiotics has your Rabbit been on?
Is the abscess in the jaw?

Janex

Yes she had poo'ed earlier and was eating up until about 2 - 3 hours ago.

Vet examined her abdomen and thought she was ok. Also, her absess was in her cheek and he didnt think it was "too much to write home about"

oral metacam should work almost instantly, say w/i 5 min. But if the abcess is bothering your bun, even there is no pain, he

I'd change your vet ive lost 2 lops to abcess' in the past, i spent a fortune on vets bill and did everything i could. They are very dangerous in the head and should be taken seriously, your vets attitude is worrying. Ive just rescued a rabbit with a bite wound at the top of her ear, shes been taken straight to my vets and they've opened it up under GA, cleaned it up and stitched it, it wasnt infected yet but i was not prepared to chance it. They've kept her overnight and will keep her longer for no extra charge to keep an eye on her till they are happy, a good vet is invaluable.

I hope your bunny starts to feel better

Update...

Flopsy was a lot better by late last night :D

Been eating loads today which is good.

We struggled to get the baytril down her this evening. As she was feeling better she put up a real fight so it was difficult to get the right amount into her mouth.

She seems a bit quiet now but still better than yesterday.

How long should it take something like this to clear up? When should we expect her to be totally back to normal? will it take a few days?

oral metacam should work almost instantly, say w/i 5 min. But if the abcess is bothering your bun, even there is no pain, he

could someone clarifiy this or provide a source? im not doubting any specific person but last time i asked about this i was told oral metacam takes an hour to act fully. :?

RT,have you tried drizzling the antibiotics over her pellets? my rabbit Sorrel has been suffering with a chronic abscess for over a year and i always put hers on her food, she hardly even noticed it. ;)

So does your rabbit still have the abscess or has it been surgically removed? Not trying to get you down but they can be tricky to treat, recur often and can cause a rabbit to deteriorate very quickly. I know I sound depressing, I'm just trying to convey the importance of keeping a really, really close eye on her.

best of luck :wave:

Thanks for the advice

The vet actually called it an ulcer and thought it had improved a lot since her teeth were ground down 2 weeks ago. There isnt any nasty discharge and he wasn't concerned about its appearance.

I put some of the antibiotic on a banana chip (her absolute favourite) and she initially rejected it but after throwing it on the sawdust (and probably losing most of the antibiotic) she eventually ate it.

I will definately dry putting it on her pellets tomorrow night.

We are keeping a v close eye on her (she is a house bunny). I am really paranoid about her so if she is slightly quiet for a bit I notice immediately (and start worrying!)

Back