• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on what to expect and aftercare please

susiemae

Mama Doe
Hi everyone. Cookie is being spayed on Wednesday and although Im feeling a little better about it cos she's now around 18 weeks old, Im also nervous because Ive never had a doe before and Im not sure what to expect. She is indoors at the moment anyway so will be nice and warm and comfortable when she comes home, but any other advice gratefully received. Thanks:wave:

She'll be very sore and quiet for about 24 hours. She probably won't eat much to start with either. Smokey took about 4 days to start eating her pellets/mix again but she was nibbling hay and veg within 24 hours of the op.

It's important that when she comes home that she is somewhere quiet and that although she can have access to hay, she has something soft and non-scratchy to lie on. I usually use vetbed or an old duvet. Make sure she has a bowl of water near her, rather than a bottle because it will be easier for her.

I agree to leave her somewhere quite and not disturb her, but do keep a close eye on her eating and pooping ;) And something soft to lay on like vet bed. I only put newspaper in the trays for a couple of weeks afterwards as litter may irritate the wound. I let both my girls lay down and then put their hay, water, veg and pellets right next to them so they didnt have to move if they didnt want to.

Mine were both different, Scarlett was a bit quiet for a few hours then moving about as usual and bugging me for attention but Buu just wanted to be left alone and was in a right mood with me for about three days :lol: They both ate and went to the toilet when they were home though.

I will be thinking of Cookie on Wednesday I am sure she will be fine :D x

I've had two does done and they were just as above. I brought the hutches into my back porch where it was quiet and warmer. Gave them hay and tasty greens to encourage them to eat as that is very important. I also held the drink bottle near them and let them drink that way a few times a day, to make sure they were drinking. Both were fine with no complications. I kept them inside for about a week before letting them outside loose. You are supposed to keep an eye on the wound, but mine would never let me see it and I didn't want to stress them too much.

When my Bunny whiskas was spayed I had to put an old wooly sock around her middle.This worked quite well because she couldn't bite the stitches.She also liked to sit in her basket,they're for cats but she likes them too.

Hope you get on ok!:)

Back