• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying a 3 yr old

Dawn&Leila

Warren Scout
Leila is coming up to three this spring, and she isn't yet spayed. Once we move we'd like to get her a nuetered companion and a larger converted dog crate cage.

The trouble is I have been terrfied of spayign her all along (darn my anxiety!) and now she's three im more worried. She also has sore hocks, would it still be ok to spay her with these? It might even be a good thing infact as she might leave them alone for a while to let the fur grow back. The only thing stopping it growing over it seems is her constant nibbling at them..

I doubt having sore hocks would affect her being able to be spayed. In fact the anasethetic should help as she'll be too sleepy to have a nibble at them after.

It's best to get her spayed sooner rather than later. Best bet is to pop along to the vets so they can answer any questions and make sure she is suitable for spaying, give her a check over.

Hi, I've been to the vets tonight with my 2 year old rabbit to book her in to be spayed. We've only had her a week so its not quite the same but I'm still worried! I've also booked in my 7 month old mini lop buck in to be neutered. I know it';s the right thing to do for both of them but it doesn't stop you worrying. They are booked in for next monday. I've even changed vets just to get this done to make sure there is an experienced rabbit savy vet doing it. I don't want to take any chances. :shock: This is going to be a long week!
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Wiggiex

:wave:

My girly Buu was about 2 and a half when she was spayed, and even the vets were nervous about spaying her as she freaks so much there :shock: We had to make loads of trips so she would just get used to the vet before her op and she started out shaking and attacking and ended up laying on the floor for a nose rub from the vet :lol:

She was fine during the op and after though, just a bit moody with me but she is like that anyways :lol:

I beleive the benefits of spaying are greater than the risk of going under anasthetic too, and as long as your comfortable with the vet it should be fine :D Just ask loads of questions, if not im sure someone on here would be able to recommend a bunny savvy vet :D x

Thanks for the replies all :)

I'd probably use Christabel, as she's not too far away from me, and I've only ever heard great things about her

Hi Dawn,
Your bun should be fine. i have had a few of my foster buns done, i think the oldest one i had done was 6, it was quite a relief she went actually as they found out she had cancer so they could make her more comfy and it prepared us, otherwise i think we would have never known until it was too late, she lived another 6 month after that, unfortunately the cancer spread to her lungs but the vet did say having her done would have made her a lot more relaxed. On a good note one of my other buns i got done about 6 month ago is 5 and she has benefited from it loads, she no longer wants to kill everything that moves, so much so i think i am going to make her one of the family. :p

Bunny spay

Hi all,
My bunny baby, Flo, was spayed on Monday. When she came back to us, she didn't eat or drink and had to spend the night at the emergency vets. She has come along since, and is now eating hay, and a little bit of carrot and pellets. She is also drinking a lot better now. I found worms in her droppings last night and she has been put on a course of panacur for 9 days. I feel terrible that all this has happened to her :cry: Is there anyone out there that has a similar story regarding spaying? How long will it take her to get back to normal? She is doing well but I miss my naughty bunny!
Sam x.

Back