• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Evo update - update Tue am with a quick question

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Well, I've just been to get Evo from the vet. Apparently he has been digging in his cage all day. :roll: But still not very interested in food. :( He wouldn't take his earlier syringe feed at all, but the vet nurse said he was a bit more keen on the second one, which is good.

He is currently sat in his makeshift pen in the hallway, giving me evils :twisted: but looks quite bright.

Last edited:
I'm glad he's perked up abit and atleast his well enough to make you feel bad :rolleyes: I hope he starts to eat properly.

Last time Barney was really really ill we gave him a bowl of water and once he started lapping at that he seemed to start perking up. Hope he continues to improve xxx

I have just realised that I've been going round with a bag of bunny poo in my handbag all day!!! :shock:

He is chilling out now, but he looks comfy, and has done 2 poos. :)

He is still eating hay this morning and drinking water. Not interested in much else yet, but he has eaten some SS (even though he is on A&P now, he used to have SS). Can I give him more SS, or just stick to the hay, which I know is more important? I have to book him in for a check up today, but I don't think he needs to be admitted to be syringe fed, do you guys?

If he will eat the SS I would let him as anything he will eat will help keep his tum ticking over.

Has there been much fur in Evos droppings?

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Laura :wave:

Harv is losing quite a lot of fur at the mo.

I didn't realise Evo had his dental the Friday before last. Had he been eating fine afterwards? I just wondered whether his tum has gradullay slowed down after the dental or whether his teeth were sore afterwards. Harv has had his mouth caught by the burr on one occassion. It was right at the very back on the inside of his cheek, a red patch and that had made it sore for him to eat.

I hope the vets get to the bottom of what is making him miserable. Is he on any pain rellief at the mo? That will help get him interested in food again if he is in pain from something.

You could try some of the herbal products from Rosewood. Harv likes the herbal garden and jerusalem artichoke. They smell lovely and may encourage Evo to eat more on his own. You should be able to buy the packets from pets at home. You could also try mixing it in with his hay.

Hugs to Evo,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Laura :wave:

Harv is losing quite a lot of fur at the mo.

I didn't realise Evo had his dental the Friday before last. Had he been eating fine afterwards? I just wondered whether his tum has gradullay slowed down after the dental or whether his teeth were sore afterwards. Harv has had his mouth caught by the burr on one occassion. It was right at the very back on the inside of his cheek, a red patch and that had made it sore for him to eat.

I hope the vets get to the bottom of what is making him miserable. Is he on any pain rellief at the mo? That will help get him interested in food again if he is in pain from something.

You could try some of the herbal products from Rosewood. Harv likes the herbal garden and jerusalem artichoke. They smell lovely and may encourage Evo to eat more on his own. You should be able to buy the packets from pets at home. You could also try mixing it in with his hay.

Hugs to Evo,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

He had been 100% from the Sunday after the dental, slow to eat on the Friday and Saturday, but that's normal. Totally fine for all of the following week until the Sunday.

He's now eating hay (cheap Sainsburys hay :roll:), timothy hay cakes, porridge oats and a bit of SS, so better again.

The vet did suggest a skull xray to check for tooth root problems, but I'm loath to sedate him again now just as he's improving. Might be worth doing at the next dental though?

If he's improving may be best to wait until his next dental. How often does he have his teeth burred?

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I hope he continues to improve. Does he seems a lot better today?

On another note what hay does Evo like? What's hisfavourites?

I have bought nearly every variety under the sun and am desperately trying to find one that Harv will eat.

He used to love the viatverde dandelion hay by vitakraft until they changed their hay and haven't been able to find one he likes since.

Hugs to Evo,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Poor Evo! This is my 'advice', I only have experience with buns who have had stasis because of tooth root probs or hair balls but it might help :)

Try to get him put on Metacam and see if it makes a difference, this would indicate that he is reluctant to eat because something is hurting.

If he is willing to chew hay I'd doubt tooth root problems because the pressure of chewing something so fibrous would make it very painful. Is he on liquid paraffin just in case he has some fur in his stomach?

If he is eating - even a bit - by himself, I would be loathe to put him in the vets to be syringe fed as it is likely to be really stressful. Just get him to eat as much as you can. Anything fibrous is best (leafy greens, hay etc. etc.).

Be careful with giving too much SS if he hasn't eaten much recently to avoid upsetting his stomach in a different way :)

Back