• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So then , let me just check.....

superrug

New Kit
Im getting right into this Giant Bunny hunt now, come on Neil , i know your out there. Can i just check a few think with you, just want to make sure that ive covered all the bases before i even think about getting one.

Neils home : would it be ok if the house was just a dog cage thing with a large cat beds thing with hay in it for its tray ????

Will neil completely knacker my house/rug ????

I have to put tubes round all my wires ?

Would it be better for Neil to have his own room ? (which would mean me putting my office upstairs )

I have a giant conti...hopefully to be 2 soon:D she lives in the kitchen. she doesnt have a dog crate at the mo (we are awaiting delivery) but she chooses to sleep on top of her carrier. she is out in the house while we are in and we just leave her in the kitchen when we are out.

If i had the room in my house i would give the bun its own room but its totally your choice. If you get a dog crate, get the biggest possible as Lola's litter tray is HUGE. Its an under bed storage box, she outgrew all the others...A plastic cats bed would work as a litter tray but i prefer something with high sides as buns like to push their bottoms right into the corner:lol:

Covering all wires is essential with buns, they associate wires with tree roots:lol:

Chewing is totally depending on the bun. Lola has the odd chew of things but on the whole is fine. It really is all down to the bun:D

You'll need to get a big pet carrier for vets trips and it is harder to find toys for giant buns...not impossible tho!:D

Hope this helps, any more question just need to ask:D

they can be trained to not wreck the house/rug etc.

my buns have the dining room purely because i was sick of them making a mess! They have a 48inch dog crate with a shelf in but we dont have commercial beds in their because they just get peed on and slept next to!!!

i have two so there are two litter trays in the crate that have newspaper, biocatolet and hay in (layered!)

they have a basket of chew toys and a basket of hay in there as well.

as long as buns have enough toys to play with they shouldnt go for walls!

So if i was to give neil his own room would i still need a cage as such ? or could i just have a bed and a litter tray and food in bowls within this room ?

Or on the other hand if i did have a dog cage say 48" , would it be ok to leave him in it for a couple of hours a day or is this just too small ?

I think it would probably be too small to shut a giant into. However I don't have any giants. I do find it is helpful for them to have some sort of cage or base that they can call theri own and feel secure in.

If you gave him his own room, You could just give him a crate when he wants to go into it, and then a cat bed with hay etc. Then fill the room with toys etc.

Look on the Photos and Stories Page, there is some ideas for room setups!

Good Luck!:thumb:

I recently had a giant in my 48" dog crate for one night, after his operation, and there really isn't much space for them. It is probably ok for a few hours, but preferrably they should be kept in pairs, so then there would be even less space. A room just for the bunnies would be ideal, and free range of the house when you are around to watch them.
Oh, and as a litter tray I would suggest a plastic underbed storage box, Wilkinsons have some nice ones in different colours.

You *must* cover your wires. Mine are not big wire chewers but have destroyed a couple of lamp cables in their time, not only does this spoil your appliance but it can kill your bunny (electrocution) orr even start a fire - better safe than sorry.

Carpet/wall chewing depends on the bunny. Mine have only tried that when very very bored ie not enough compay or toys. You will find yourself being surprisingly inventive with ways to thwart their destructive habits - i have bunny proofed my hosue to my satisfaction now and it barely even looks different. :) He *may* chew your furniture but you can order special bits of plastic to protect them.

A crate might be a bit small for a giant but it is nice for them to have a "home". My house rabbit, Sorrel, has a crate and even when she is free in the hosue she does go back in to have a nap etc. You could get a big exercise pen meant for dogs and make an enclosure with that - or get two and join them together - or build your own cage out of NIC panels.

enjoy your bun :wave:

Back